PDA

View Full Version : do you like leftovers?

smoke ninja
11-12-2018, 12:52 PM
I do. whether its reheating outright, repurposing into a new dish or vac seal and freezing leftovers are a way of life for me. i know quite a few people who dont mess with leftovers. i cook extra just for that purpose.

how do you feel about leftovers? do you ever cook extra so you kind freeze it for later?

PatAttack
11-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Yes, I eat leftovers all the time.

Comes in handy when you don't feel like firing up the smoker.

Bill-Chicago
11-12-2018, 12:56 PM
Only brisket leftovers

EyeBurnEverything
11-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Its not leftovers if you plan to use it for different meals.

donmiller
11-12-2018, 01:02 PM
how do you feel about leftovers? do you ever cook extra so you kind freeze it for later?

I think that my BBQ tastes BETTER as leftovers. Maybe it is because the smoke on cook day de-sensitizes my sense of taste or something -- I dunno. I use the vacuum seal bags extensively and freeze stuff for later.

The kids have moved out and it is just me and the wifey now, so most any overnight cook produces more food than we can handle anyway. Got the big freezer in the garage...

I will cure and smoke pork bellies two at a time for home-made bacon -- and that will last us quite a while, except for around the holidays when I give much of it away to family.

Joshw
11-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Love them. I always cook extra. Do a lot of meal prep, and make my own freezer meals. Makes eating good, during the work week much easier. Saves a lot of money, because you don't have to eat that crappy fast food burger, when you are driving home.

pjtexas1
11-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Im getting better at eating/using leftovers. There was a time where i just wanted to cook and barely eat it. I was cutting briskets in half so i could cook it twice. Threw a lot of meat out. Now i really make an effort to try to get it all eaten. I've even been freezing some.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KB BBQ
11-12-2018, 01:05 PM
I like leftovers, but only for about 3 days in a row max, then I need to change it up.

Burnt at Both Endz
11-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Yes, I like leftovers, but....

I usually cook two big briskets instead of one. The office ladies where my wife works will gladly pay for the leftovers. I tend to get a couple meals for free. :)

dadsr4
11-12-2018, 01:10 PM
Takes the same amount of time to prep larger pieces of meat as it does smaller, big pot of chili, the same. If I've got the kettle going, might as well fill it up to put some in the freezer. Things like a leg of lamb would never be cooked for just the wife and I, if I didn't plan for leftovers. Like some said, BBQ is better the next day, anyways.
About the only thing I cook to produce only one meal is fish.

Pedro7
11-12-2018, 01:12 PM
We do a good job with cooking one meal at a time thanks to the foodsaver. I portion out 2 chicken breasts, two pieces of salmon, etc. My wife doesn't like eating the same thing on consecutive days, so if there are leftovers its usually on me to take to work or something. I do like leftovers, but after a couple meals of the same it's time to move on or repurpose. Only time we'll make things to purposely have leftovers is chilis, stews, etc. Then I can vac seal and freeze for another dinner down the road.

cullenbranson
11-12-2018, 01:16 PM
My favorite leftovers time of year is coming up! I very rarely eat pasta, but man I look forward to some kitchen sink turkey tetrazzini every year. Mouth is watering now just thinking about that stuff. My lovely wife makes a great one!

Big N Hot
11-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Pulled Pork always. It reheats wonderfully. But not much else.

Big George's BBQ
11-12-2018, 02:16 PM
I love left overs Cook a lot and have a lot left- definitely worth it
One of my favorites is T Day Love those left over sammies

Jrogers84
11-12-2018, 02:18 PM
almost as much as the first time

gcs
11-12-2018, 02:29 PM
I was raised on leftovers, my wife hates them, I end up eating it for lunch, Heck, I can eat that stuff cold...:-D

16Adams
11-12-2018, 02:32 PM
I’ve tried really hard over the last 8-12 months to minimize leftovers, by smaller cooks. One rack versus 3 pack, and small singles. 1 steak-Small butts, baby Hams and brisket as I can find that look good. I’m now cooking on a Primo Oval XL and a Davy Crockett. There’s another reason. I seldom eat supper. Pretty much an intermittent fast from lunch to Breakfast. Supper used to be my biggest meal. Now it doesn’t exist. So I had to learn to cook smaller. Regardless there’s always leftovers even with smaller cuts of meat.

But less

qnbiker
11-12-2018, 02:58 PM
There are only 2 of us left so there are always leftovers (it's as easy to cook for 4 as it is for 2). I love all leftovers, not only barbecue, although there tends to be more leftovers from barbecue.

LloydQ
11-12-2018, 03:06 PM
I couldn't imagine NOT eating leftovers! I truly believe that some foods get better after cooling down and reheating, especially chili, spaghetti, and the like. Pulled pork, brisket, turkey, ham...all just as tasty leftover. Ribs really take a turn for the worse, though.

mytmouz
11-12-2018, 03:06 PM
I find that the cabbage stew and chili are better the next day, so i plan on leftovers for them...

Smoking Piney
11-12-2018, 03:09 PM
I plan on leftovers every cook. Sometimes, I cook for the coming week on the weekend.

Inthewoods
11-12-2018, 03:13 PM
Love leftovers! I'm always making Frankenstein pizza, Mac and cheese, or Fatty's! Nachos, Tacos...love it all!

-D

BillN
11-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Yup I purposely cook extra so I can package and freeze for future meals. Recently I did approximately 40 chicken thighs, three pork butts and a meatloaf for the sole purpose of vac sealing and freezing.

BigThicket
11-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Leftover Brisket is one of my favorite things to mess around with. It doesn't happen often but when it does I usually make chili, brisket stuffed jalapenos, tacos or something along those lines.

kurtsara
11-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Never heard of them, what are they?

pjtexas1
11-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Never heard of them, what are they?It's what happens when i make crappy bbq that nobody will eat...

Stingerhook
11-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Chili, tacos, pizza, sammies, etc., leftovers always work around here.

jermoQ
11-12-2018, 06:40 PM
I never plan for leftovers. I overcompensate for the number of people who actually will think that my bbq is the best they have ever eaten, and will decide to eat way more than their tummies can handle...then, I get a reality check...and end up with leftovers.

Yes I enjoy eating them. I will freeze whatever I dont think I can eat in a week.

EyeBurnEverything
11-12-2018, 07:04 PM
It's what happens when i make crappy bbq that nobody will eat...

There is no such thing as crappy bbq, only crappy chefs. :mrgreen:

A good chef can polish a turd and make it taste delicious.

Blythewood BBQ'er
11-12-2018, 07:12 PM
I like them but only can do them for about 3 meals after initial cooking. Probably need to start freezing leftovers, but once it goes in the freezer I tend to forget about them.

Mikhail
11-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Oh lord yes I do.

Just stopped at my favorite Q joint and picked up a pound each of ribs, pulled pork and brisket. Will eat this all week. Flavor cooked in, no sauce needed.

mchar69
11-12-2018, 08:02 PM
I actually rotate the leftovers, so Sunday might repeat on Wednesday, etc.
I do pile them in a tupperware for lunches. Makes for easier cooking.

Sakamoto
11-12-2018, 08:57 PM
I love leftovers! Usually about 4 straight meals is all unless it's really good!

Stlsportster
11-12-2018, 09:08 PM
Leftovers are overrated.

Bob C Cue
11-12-2018, 09:25 PM
I like BBQ leftovers. My wife is not crazy about them.

tom b
11-12-2018, 09:37 PM
Yes! we usually cook a couple hunks of meat on the weekend and make different dishes with it during the week

Sillius Sodus
11-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Was raised on leftovers. Swore I’d never raise my child on leftovers. Nine years going strong.

kevinstaggs
11-12-2018, 10:30 PM
No. Not really. Food just loses something after a reheat especially in a microwave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mattmountz94
11-13-2018, 05:01 AM
I don't love leftovers but it is much nicer to eat a container of leftovers for lunch, then to go out and eat fast food every day. I usually don't eat leftovers at home unless we have an absolute overload.

Beer/Meat/Victory
11-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Yes, for everything but Ribs. I don't know why, just don't much like them reheated. Brisket and Pulled pork Ill eat for days on end and pack for work lunches, ribs I just try to limit to a rack or two and eat as much as I can when they are fresh.

AussieMatt
11-13-2018, 07:40 AM
We always cook extra for homemade frozen meals. I don't get home from work until about 8.45pm, so I like being able to just throw a homemade meal in the microwave and eating within about 5 minutes.

dadsr4
11-13-2018, 07:59 AM
No. Not really. Food just loses something after a reheat especially in a microwave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I get the best results nuking for half what I think is needed, then walk away and come back after a few minutes. Then 30 seconds at a time until hot enough. That way, things are less likely to be over cooked. Microwave instruction manuals suggest the wait time.

ModelMaker
11-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Wife and I used to enjoy leaveovers but a bunch BBQ cooks that needed an excuse for their shortcomings made us feel poorly about reheating and consuming food.
Ed

smoke ninja
11-13-2018, 04:53 PM
It's what happens when i make crappy bbq that nobody will eat...

I noticed the amount of leftovers decreases in relation to how good it is. most will eat a plate and say it's good just to be gracious but 2nds and 3rds is how you know it was good.

KevinJ
11-13-2018, 05:10 PM
90% of the time I'm only cooking for 2, so heck yes I do.

Here's some awesome Stuffed Poblanos (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266326) I did a few weeks ago.

https://i.imgur.com/s5iCAuD.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/hhnoY7X.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/NHEkmCv.jpg?3

https://i.imgur.com/EXRPKG7.jpg?1

Norm
11-13-2018, 07:50 PM
When I was a restaurant cook we could always tell how good our food was by the amount of leftovers sent back.

Since I live alone no choice in the matter...

jham0077
Yay leftovers! We had smoked chicken stuffed baked potatoes tonight, leftover from a chicken done Friday. What didn't get ate tonight got vac sealed and froze for a later day. My chili recipe makes around 4 gallons. We eat it for 3-4 days then portion it into freezer bags. We always freeze what little pulled pork is left after a few days.

Ron_L
We always cook extra! Either it becomes lunch during the week or we packed it as meals and freeze for my parents (both 91).

Burnt at Both Endz
11-14-2018, 07:57 AM
When I was a restaurant cook we could always tell how good our food was by the amount of leftovers sent back.

Since I live alone no choice in the matter...

Can't remember where I was taught this, but if you really like your meal and was happy with the service. You should always leave one bite on your plate when done, it will let the cook know that it was good and they gave you plenty to eat.

qnbiker
11-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Can't remember where I was taught this, but if you really like your meal and was happy with the service. You should always leave one bite on your plate when done, it will let the cook know that it was good and they gave you plenty to eat.We have a friend who always does this; now I know why! She worked at Friday's when she was in college so it makes sense.

smoke ninja
11-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Can't remember where I was taught this, but if you really like your meal and was happy with the service. You should always leave one bite on your plate when done, it will let the cook know that it was good and they gave you plenty to eat.

how would the cook know this. busboys clear tables

qnbiker
11-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Kind of like throwing a penny in a fountain and making a wish. People don't think about it, they just do it and feel better. Anyway, the busboys will know you enjoyed it.

seakuv
11-14-2018, 10:11 AM
I'm a big fan of leftovers - they make great lunches and are far better than the pedestrian bologna/ham/turkey/etc sandwich - no matter how one dresses it up.

Burnt at Both Endz
11-14-2018, 10:13 AM
how would the cook know this. busboys clear tables

We must eat at different places? Where I dine, they take the salad bowl before they bring the main meal, then again take the diner plate before bringing you dessert. That dish is also usually taken before you get your bill. I must miss the busboy somehow?

smoke ninja
11-14-2018, 10:17 AM
We must eat at different places? Where I dine, they take the salad bowl before they bring the main meal, then again take the diner plate before bringing you dessert. That dish is also usually taken before you get your bill. I must miss the busboy somehow?

I've never had a cook clear my table

Burnt at Both Endz
11-14-2018, 10:27 AM
I've never had a cook clear my table

Must be the busboy then? :becky:

smoke ninja
11-14-2018, 10:37 AM
Must be the busboy then? :becky:

the leaving a bite for good service idea is absurd. like the buser (or waitress or whatever you call them) is gonna stop by the grill on the way to the dishwasher and let the cook know table 14 left a bite in his honor

BBQ_MAFIA
11-14-2018, 12:18 PM
If you work in New York City you will more then likely appreciate left overs.
Buying lunch in NY can drive you to the poor house.

Norm
11-14-2018, 03:52 PM
It was a small family run restaurant. If you weren't watching what was coming back on plates you weren't doing your job as a cook. Some would complain if the food wasn't good but most just didn't come back.

Trendy places the chefs are gods and the public just didn't know what good food should taste like. There's a good reason they don't stay in business long if they aren't paying attention to what's going on outside of their little part of the place.