PDA

View Full Version : Akaushi or Wagyu?

Rib bonez
11-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Been cooking prime briskets for some time but want to venture out a bit and cook something more marbled. Should it be Japanese Akaushi or wagyu, and why? Recommendations on where to purchase the brisket? Iím most likely looking for 12-14 lb. I know there are many places to buy, iím Looking for advice from folks who have purchased from several and tried them out.

BillN
11-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Easier to get Wagyu IMO, below is a link to Akaushi brisket.

https://heartbrandbeef.com/product/brisket/

Ballistic BBQ
11-07-2018, 11:33 PM
Wagyu simply means, "cow". The Akaushi is the red breed in the Japanese line-up. I've had Heart Brand Beef's brisket before and it was really good, but I didn't really think it was better than SRF or The Wagyu Shop's brisket.

Jousting Pigs
11-08-2018, 08:42 AM
I really like the akaushi but you can't go wrong with either. I'm lucky to have a butcher near my house that has akaushi in stock so I can usually pick through at least a handful. They also have their own small herd of akaushi that they dry age prior to selling and they are awesome. My experience with the akaushi has been they are smaller and have great flavor but you can't specify the size like with SRF. Also, SRF is nice because it shows up at your door if you don't have a local option. I've never had an issue when ordering from SRF.