PDA

View Full Version : Insulated Reverse Flow Cabinet Pellet Smoker

thom1879
11-02-2018, 10:19 AM
I am thinking about building an insulated reverse flow cabinet smoker similar to a lonestar grillz design, but pairing it with a smoke daddy pellet hopper. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with how well this combo would function. The thing I'm not sure about is if I should put the water pan under or over the top plate of the fire box. If I put it in the firebox to the side of the fire pot, the humidity should mix very evenly right? :confused:

BKING!
11-02-2018, 04:25 PM
I like backwoods design as a reverse flow water smoker. The water pan is on top of a heat deflector which separates the cook chamber from the firebox to prevent boiling during high temp cooks. How big is the smoker going to be? If it’s going to be big then I’d recommend a dual firepot and hopper otherwise you won’t get much smoke production during higher temp smokes

BKING!
11-02-2018, 04:33 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVrRnTT808

If you're this size or bigger then recommend dual firepot and hopper

Westx
11-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Humphrey’s used to make one. Also Stumpsville is making one.

luv2smoke
11-02-2018, 10:35 PM
I know these guys (Cascade Smokers) make one as well. It's reverse flow and comes with an insulated blank plug and charcoal basket so you can use it as a pellet smoker or a charcoal and wood chunk smoker. I considered and talked to them at great length about it but opted not to buy as I've done the pellet gig before and it really wasn't my cup of tea. I went with a straight charcoal and wood chunk burner from them instead. After talking to them it sounds like there's more work involved to get their insulated cabinet to work well as the cabinet holds temperatures so well that the pellets would flame out, meaning the cabinet will retain heat so well that the hopper wouldn't call for pellets as the temperatures would not drop. He didn't elaborate in detail but indicated that he installs additional venting in the cook chamber that was adjustable to move air out of the cook chamber as well as an outside air intake valve in the firebox. Basically it sounded like a lot of work goes into taking away of the efficiencies of the cabinet to facilitate the use of a pellet hopper, the good thing was that with the flip of a couple of levers the efficiency was back so it could be used as a charcoal burner. It makes sense as I have never seen a pellet smoker that's sealed tight.

thom1879
11-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Good info, I never thought about the cabinet being so well insulated that it would flame out. I guess it might be better to do a charcoal setup with a PID.

thom1879
11-03-2018, 08:44 PM
I like backwoods design as a reverse flow water smoker. The water pan is on top of a heat deflector which separates the cook chamber from the firebox to prevent boiling during high temp cooks. How big is the smoker going to be? If it’s going to be big then I’d recommend a dual firepot and hopper otherwise you won’t get much smoke production during higher temp smokes

I’m planing on making the cook chamber 36” wide, 24” deep, and 48” tall. My goal is to be able to fit 15 briskets or 10 briskets and 6 butts.

Westx
11-03-2018, 09:05 PM
As long as you build it with enough air flow you would be fine. They build them out of old fridges all the time. I would call and talk to them about it.