PDA

View Full Version : Championship BBQ Series

Mooner
04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
(If this is in the wrong place move it)

Did any of you guys catch the Championship BBQ series last night on VS.? I was watching Mike Davis prep his chicken and I swear....it looked like he squirted his chicken with mayonaise before putting his rub on. First off, if anyone saw, was that mayonaise and secondly, has anyone tried this? He got really high marks so I was wondering.

RichardF
04-30-2007, 09:35 AM
(If this is in the wrong place move it)

Did any of you guys catch the Championship BBQ series last night on VS.? I was watching Mike Davis prep his chicken and I swear....it looked like he squirted his chicken with mayonaise before putting his rub on. First off, if anyone saw, was that mayonaise and secondly, has anyone tried this? He got really high marks so I was wondering.

Big Bob Gibson has their white sauce, and then there is Cornell chicken - But,

Puppyboy
04-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I did not see the show but have heard of using a mayo slather before. Will I try it? No.

Markbb
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
I've used Mayo on Pork shoulder and chicken and the bark is intense and flavorful.

qman
04-30-2007, 10:53 AM
I've used Mayo on Pork shoulder and chicken and the bark is intense and flavorful.

Just remember that Mayo is like 98 percent oil [of some kind] so using Mayo gives you a convientent way to add fat to whatever you slather it with. Like using mustard as a slather, the mayo adds very little, if any, taste, just keeps things moist, holds the rub, and does help create bark.

I think like Mark says, mayo does seem to intensify the flavors.

Bill-Chicago
04-30-2007, 11:00 AM
I kinda agree with Mr. Intergalactic here.

I didnt see the episode, but am sure that Mike proceeded to grab a shovel, at some point in the process.

Wonder if that was edited out

thillin
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I did see him use margarine from a squeeze bottle, from what I remember.

YankeeBBQ
04-30-2007, 11:13 AM
It's parkay or I Can't believe it's not butter not mayo

Mooner
04-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I did see him use margarine from a squeeze bottle, from what I remember.

Was that what it was?? It sure looked white to me like a squeezable mayonaise. Maybe it was butter guys..i dunno.

Steppenwolf
04-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I caught about the last 40 minutes off and on. I didn't see him prepare, but they sure were impressed with it if I remember correctly. Mostly I remember that inedible fish- whatever it was.
I've tried mayonaise on grilled chix. A co-worker swore up and down as the best ever made. I simply lathered it with mayonaise, and cracked black pepper. It was pretty good and would be even better with practice. I was worried that about burning the crap out of the mayo so I over checked it while cooking. You need to be sure to really leave it alone (like you do with fried chicken) and not too hot of a fire. I'd give it a generous 3 second count holdng your hand near grill.
It was kinda messy. The kids and wife watched me prep the chix, so they were not exactly receptive to trying this "new" method. Can't understand why they don't trust me. :twisted:
Anyway, some of you brethren should give this a try. I'd say that a few practice runs will probably win people over.

thillin
04-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Yep rewatched that part. It was Parkay. I've seen at least 2 big time bbq guys use it on the show.

Mooner
04-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Yep rewatched that part. It was Parkay. I've seen at least 2 big time bbq guys use it on the show.

Parkay it is!!! defintely gonna try that. Without a doubt...

rookiedad
04-30-2007, 09:19 PM
not to get off the subject, but try putting mayo on the outsideof a grilled cheese or pannini before cooking it. worlds different than butter.

phil

thillin
04-30-2007, 09:26 PM
not to get off the subject, but try putting mayo on the outsideof a grilled cheese or pannini before cooking it. worlds different than butter.

phil

It's great on corn on the cob also

Pig Up & Go
04-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Just remember that Mayo is like 98 percent oil [of some kind] so using Mayo gives you a convientent way to add fat to whatever you slather it with. Like using mustard as a slather, the mayo adds very little, if any, taste, just keeps things moist, holds the rub, and does help create bark.

I think like Mark says, mayo does seem to intensify the flavors.

Just what a Pork Butt needs, more fat :mrgreen::mrgreen:

bbqpigskin
04-30-2007, 11:46 PM
What channel is it on?

swamprb
05-01-2007, 03:09 AM
Are these re-runs or has a new season started? Haven't heard or seen any promos for it.

Brian

ThomEmery
05-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Reruns

Steppenwolf
05-01-2007, 08:53 AM
It's great on corn on the cob also
I've tried that, carefull with your tongs turning, it comes off easily once it starts to brown. The next time your grilling chicken coat a couple pieces of a picnic pack with mayo.

Mooner
05-01-2007, 09:09 AM
What channel is it on?

It's on the channel called VS. (Versus). Used to be OLN I think.