PDA

View Full Version : Grilling?

eatmyque
04-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Where can I find information about grilling? All I see here is wood, charcoal and long smokimg.

I just bouught a new charbroil TEC grill and I need info on how to use it.

I've been reading for awhile, but no one ever talks about grilling meat. I'veliked what I read, but Don't you guys grill anything? I guess I'm in the wrong forum for grilling.

The_Kapn
04-29-2007, 06:53 PM
We love all types of cooking--primarily outdoor, but you will find even indoor cooking here.

Grilling is not something that we spend a lot of time discussing--kinda easy and not a lot of new material.

The vast majority of us have grills and use them.
See my signiture line at the bottom of this post for example.

You will pick up a wealth of info here if you just read and stay patient.
Ask any grilling question you want!!!!!!!!
I bet we have 30 opinions on a good answer :oops:

If you want a "pure grilling" forum, go here:
http://www.grillforum.com/que/queboard/

I wish you the best.

TIM

Yakfishingfool
04-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Welcome eatmyque, yup, wrong kind of forum. I'm sure everyone here does grill but here we mostly BBQ, slow and low. Ask away and we'll see if we can help you. Scott

eatmyque
04-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Any ideas for breaking in a grill Tim?

Yakfishingfool
04-29-2007, 06:54 PM
damn kapn, you mentally q'uing in on me???

The_Kapn
04-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Any ideas for breaking in a grill Tim?

I have the Commercial version of your TEC (no IR).

Not being funny--to break it in, I hooked up the gas and lit the puppy.
Got the temp to max to burn off any transit, storage, or manufacturing crud for maybe 20 minutes.
Then, cooked a couple of steaks!
Easy Peasey.

No nead to season or any of that stuff.

TIM

eatmyque
04-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Tim I did all that too, but reading all the stuff about seasoning smokers I thouhgt there would be some magic seasoning to a grill.

I tell you the TEC grill is hot. Damn impressive the IR features. I think it's the first time in my life that I got the 45 degree hatch marks on a steak without buring it to crap.

Thanks for the tip on the grilling forum, I'll check it out. But I did learn the difference between bbq and grilling here.

The_Kapn
04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tip on the grilling forum, I'll check it out. But I did learn the difference between bbq and grilling here.

Some may disagree, but grilling is part of BBQ!
Grilling is a just the "higher direct heat, short duration" part of BBQ.
Smoking, as we do it, is lower heats (normally indirect) and longer times.
There is a third sub-set of BBQ that is "cold smoking". Temps really low and may be about ambient air temp. Used for cheeses, bacons, hams, and that sort of stuff.
Generically, it is all BBQ, just variations!

All the techniques about flavors, injection, brining, and all of that transfer (at least in part) among the 3 versions of BBQ.

I use the things I have learned by "smoking" to drive the quality of my "grilling" to a new level! :lol:

Good luck in your quest.

TIM

QansasjayhawQ
04-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Where can I find information about grilling? All I see here is wood, charcoal and long smokimg.

I've been reading for awhile, but no one ever talks about grilling meat. I've liked what I read, but Don't you guys grill anything? I guess I'm in the wrong forum for grilling.

I grilled for a couple few decades . . . until last year when I learned about low and slow smoke cooking.

Just this afternoon I grilled hotdogs for the wifey and son.

Since my Weber 22.5" is still down at my brother's house, I improvised by using a 14"X22" aluminum food serving tray (think catering pan). I lit a chimney of lump charcoal and poored it evenly across the bottom of the pan and put a 14"X22" grill on top of it. Perfect fit.

I grilled a couple of packages of my wifey's favorite - the Oscar Myer XXL Deli Style franks. I added small hickory chips and sprinkled Cajun blackened spices on the coals for a little extra kick in the flavor.

But yeah - as far as I know, there's no 'seasoning' of a grill because grilling is done at much higher temps than smoking does.

Smokers are made of relatively low-grade steel that rusts easily. Kind of like those cast iron skillets. That's why I season my smoker anyway . . .

In any case, there should be no reason you could not ask grilling questions here . . . the folks here are helpful, courteous, kind, etc.

So, as far as I am concerned, ask away with the grilling q's! :-D

Mooner
04-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Actually bud, you can make low and slow bbq on a gas grill also. Grilling is great, we all do it but we usually talk actual BBQ on here which is completely different than grilling. Most of us discuss some pretty difficult cooking on the forum even all the way up to the professional BBQ circuit where a lot of us compete. However, that's not to say a gas grill can't do everything a smoker can just gotta know how. I hope you stick around man, this place has taught me leaps and bounds. there's a wealth of knowledge here so ask any question you want even if it grilling. We'll be happy to answer. Welcome aboard by the way, hope ya stick around! :-D

The_Kapn
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Since this thread has cooled--and I am bored for a minute.......

All of my gas grilling includes wood smoke! All of it! 100%!
I keep a "chip" or "pellet" flavor box going on the side for all grilling.
When the smoke rolls, I put the meat on and get ur done!

As needed, I can put chips or pellets on one burner and move the meat to a cooler area for a "Quasi-Low-N-Slow" cook :lol:
Works great!
Not the ultimate, but damn sure works.
So much better than what I used to do.

I can thank the smoking experience for teaching me about heat/flavor/tenderness when I just need to grill.

Finally--"what is correct doneness for stuff like steaks, chops, pork, sausage,or poultry"?????
I used to cut the steak to look at the inside and overcook the Fark out of pork and poultry :oops: :oops: :oops:
I never could use the "press to test" method on steaks--old hands or whatever.
I bought a Thermo Pen for "Smoking".......
Now, I just stick the meat for temp when grilling and never miss!!!!
Perfect medium rare or whatever every time!!!!!

All I am getting at is that there is a lot of crossover between the types of BBQ!

JMHO on a Sunday Night.

TIM

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-29-2007, 09:36 PM
so what do you call it when you make a eye of round roast and then brownies in a cast iron skillet?

bbbaking?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/017_1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/beef/022_1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/dessert/029_1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/dessert/033_1.jpg

:biggrin:

QansasjayhawQ
04-29-2007, 09:39 PM
so what do you call it when you make a eye of round roast and then brownies in a cast iron skillet?

bbbaking?
:biggrin:

From the looks of that food, I'd call it AWESOME!

I've always wanted to try the pizza that the BGE folks seem to be so fond of . . .

Mooner
04-29-2007, 09:56 PM
MMMMMM BBQ'D brownies....

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-30-2007, 05:09 AM
From the looks of that food, I'd call it AWESOME!

I've always wanted to try the pizza that the BGE folks seem to be so fond of . . .

thanks, mon! pizza good... come on over!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/pizza/3feb07-007.jpg

icemn62
04-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Actually I know a few of us grill quite a lot. We are always having a week day food pic of a good looking steak pop up. We may talk smoking, but for the most part I think we all love a good burger, and a great steak. I also believe that the better I got at smoking, the better my grilling became.

Funny, I was thinking if I could bake a cake in the WSM on friday. I had just grilled 2 ribeyes for dinner (no pics) and as I carried the meat to the kitchen the thought just hit me.

BBBaking - I like that idea.

eatmyque
04-30-2007, 11:38 AM
That food looks mighty fine.

Puppyboy
04-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I think grilling and smoking though different still go hand in hand. I still grill lots of stuff but the whole smoking thing has taken over my life. When grilling, I use a cheapo gasser I have had for almost ten years. I do find myself tossing a foil pouch containing wood chips in the gasser for that extra little flavor. At many comps, a bunch of guys will grill their chicken.

On a side note, I used to go to the Bronx Zoo all the time when I was a kid living on Long Island.

Hiloboy
04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
some of the best pizza i have ever had was made on my egg.. Rick i got to try those brownies looking good...

Rick's Tropical Delight
04-30-2007, 05:06 PM
some of the best pizza i have ever had was made on my egg.. Rick i got to try those brownies looking good...

it's all "playing with fire and smoke"... isn't it? it's all good stuff!

sorry for hi-jacking the thread... still learning the path around here. maybe i shoulda made a new thread called bbbaking?

anyways... YES, do the brownies! :biggrin:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/dessert/17feb07_4-003.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/dessert/17feb07_4-018.jpg

Meat Burner
04-30-2007, 09:18 PM

I've been reading for awhile, but no one ever talks about grilling meat. I'veliked what I read, but Don't you guys grill anything? I guess I'm in the wrong forum for grilling.

Keep track of this forum even tho grilling may be your primary interest. I would think almost everyone here grills because of the time factor and some things are better grilled with time restraints. A red hot grill for steaks...yum yum! Welcome!

big blue bbq
04-30-2007, 09:30 PM
My wife grilled some chicken wings tonight. She put some of my rib rub on them and finished them with Maull's sauce. Yum Yum. Grilling is getting better with the smoking practice. I will have to teach her to use a smoke pouch. I have a soak pan and tray for chips but I guess that would make too much ash mess in the gasser.:confused: Last year birds nests were enough to make me not want to mess it up again.

Good luck with grilling and hang out here long enough you will get the itch for smoking too!:-D

CarbonToe
05-01-2007, 06:57 AM
I still grill now and then, but I always add wood to the coals.

There is no better way to cook Lamb than with direct heat.

....and every now and then I get the urge to cook a couple of chickens on the Rotty!!