PDA

View Full Version : Yoder YS640

Mlhunter
10-25-2018, 12:54 AM
I've wanted a Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill on Competition Cart for several years.

I've read about paint issue so I'm a little nervous. I keep my smokers in the garage when not in use.

Yoder owners please please talk me into or out of the Yoder.

Thanks

Joshw
10-25-2018, 01:32 AM
I've had mine for a little over a year. It lives on a covered deck year round. The only paint issues that I have had, is on the lower half of the front. Grease has dripped down, and caused the paint to peel off. Not even bad enough, that I have brought myself to repaint yet. Yoder sells paint, to repair any problems, and my ys640 came with a free can.. I am guessing if I took a couple of hours of sanding, cleaning, and painting, it would look like new. I have read a lot about paint issues, but having had one for a year, I would not let it deter me from buying one. If I had bought an offset, I guarantee the fire box would need to be repainted by now, and fixing the issues on my ys640, would be a lot less work.

In the end, it is your decision to make, and I would probably give it more thought, if I lived near the ocean, but I think if you take care of it, and understand that you might have to do a little maintenance once in a while, you should be fine.

Cat797
10-25-2018, 04:21 AM
I bought mine used in 2015. It was used heavily by a competition guy before I got it. I use it about once a month or so and mine lives in the garage. Mine has a few dings from where the counterweight hits the body and the only other place where paint is an issue is on the front right below the door where sauce and gunk drips down. I've never even tried to clean it; it doesn't bother me that bad. I will probably try to clean it up this winter when I have some time because I need to reseal the inside with RTV. If you take care of it, I don't think you will have a problem at all.....I've seen on Facebook guys that are spit shining them with Lemon Pledge after each use, but I don't think you need to go to that extreme. It will be fine.

Ed

mattmountz94
10-25-2018, 05:03 AM
Go for it. Good Machine.

My paint is pretty bad on the lower cart frame but with a comp cart you shouldn't have that issue. My front where it drips, and the top near the hinges is also pretty bad. I have had mine for 2yrs. It sits on my covered porch but with no cover. It does get dew and moisture on it. Year one i repainted some areas and they looked good for awhile. The worst part of mine is the bar type shelf's. I think the comp cart comes with the stainless ones though so you should be fine there.

Pug-N-Monk's BBQ
10-25-2018, 05:29 AM
I've had mine for 2.5 years so far and no paint issue at all with my comp cart. I do keep it in the garage when not in use. Like anything else in life, if you take care of things, you shouldn't have many issues.

p.s. If you do get it, make sure to get the 2-piece diffuser and grill grates. It makes things so much easier and it's awesome!

ChrisL
10-25-2018, 05:56 AM
I picked up a used YS480 on a comp cart 6 months ago. Being stored outside and in the Northeast the black paint is a rusted in spots. I really like the stove paint that they use since it is easy to repair and refresh. If you store it inside and dry, I highly doubt you will have rusting issues.

It is an amazing smoker and really easy to use if you follow directions.
1. Never leave it plugged in when you are not using it.
2. Make sure you clean the burn pot EVERY TIME
3. Don't leave pellets in the smoker for an extended time

If you want an easy to use smoker that provides great results, buy the Yoder. If you want a showpiece "outdoor kitchen" you may want to look somewhere else.

Chris

Smoking Cajun
10-25-2018, 09:22 AM
You want to make sure and get the stainless shelves. they are covered in 1/8" stainless and will last forever. I bought a 4 year old used one that was less than 25 miles from the coast, so it had a lot of rust. I repainted the whole exterior. I hear that Yoder improved their paint process in the last year or two. They also put a gasket around the lid. This stopped the metal to metal contact that chipped the paint (they sell a kit that includes hinge shims and gasket material for about $17).

The stainless shelves and the comp cart had no rust....

NCGrimbo
10-25-2018, 09:23 AM
I've had mine since April of 2014. I've got some rust where grease has dripped down the front of the cooker and the hinges also have some rust. I spray the hinges with WD-40 once a season and they work well and next spring I plan to sand and repaint the rusted areas.

I also have the standard front and side shelves. They are very rusty and I may just replace them with granite next year. If I had to buy it again, I'd get the upgraded front and side shelves.

My YS-640 sits outside with no cover next to my garage, but it always gets wet when it rains.

stephan
10-25-2018, 03:03 PM
I have had mine for a year no paint issues as of yet.