PDA

View Full Version : Moisture meter for wood?

Michigan BBQ Fan
10-24-2018, 08:18 PM
Anyone use a moisture meter to check their wood? I know that opinions can vary on this. Some just toss it in a stick-burner and call it a day. Others say that the "cheap" ones that only monitor the outside of a split aren't accurate enough.

Is it fair to say that if a piece of wood hasn't been "seasoned" and is "still to green" would just burn slower...maybe too slow? And, that a piece of wood that is "too dry" would just burn quicker?

Thanks for the help. Trying to learn...and...talk myself into or out of a moisture meter.

If you do have/use one...which one?

Stlsportster
10-24-2018, 08:26 PM
I have this one.

Wood Moisture Meter, Dr.meter Digital Portable Wood Water Moisture Tester, Digital LCD Display with 2 Spare Sensor Pins and one 9V Battery(Both Included) Range 5% - 40%, Accuracy: +/-1%, MD812 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008V6I840/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cTr0BbKV7SR0S

Split some green wood I found for free. Oak, maple, mulberry. Used this to see what it was when I split it. (35%) use it to see what my old firewood was (15%). For me 18-20% burns best in my Lang.

Rockinar
10-24-2018, 10:20 PM
I bought one and realized after cutting splits with a mitre saw, the moisture in the center is usually nothing like the moisture on the exterior which kinda makes it pointless of it all.

I tossed it in a drawer and just go by feel.

pjtexas1
10-24-2018, 10:53 PM
I have one but just go by feel. You can really feel the weight of moisture in a stick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KB BBQ
10-24-2018, 11:45 PM
I had one in my amazon cart for a long time and decided not to buy it because of the same reason mentioned above, you can tell if it has a lot of moisture by weight and feel.

Monkey Uncle
10-25-2018, 06:07 AM
I don't have one. I've cut my own firewood for heating and cooking for a long time, so I've developed a pretty good feel for when wood has seasoned enough. Also, because I cut it myself, I know how long it has been seasoning, rather than relying on the statements of someone who is trying to sell wood. I can see how a meter might be useful for someone without a lot of experience who is buying wood.

bschoen
10-25-2018, 07:11 AM
Use the money to buy a decent kitchen scale, you will spend about the same (30-50$). When you get a load of wood, randomly weigh 4-5 sticks and mark them. Re-weigh them every now and then, when the weight stops dropping (months to a year or more if it was fresh cut) the wood is seasoned. Use the scale the rest of the time to weigh out the cure ingredients and make bacon, corned beef ...