PDA

View Full Version : Serious? Checking rib doneness by temp???...Really?

Kanco Connection
10-18-2018, 11:07 PM
Wait a minute—toothpick test, bend test, bone wiggle, pullback, others all good all tried and true....but pretty sure every time temp testing a rack of ribs comes up it’s shot down with authority (including by me).

But...Heath Riles (BBQ master kickin it with Malcom Reed):
http://howtobbqright.com/2018/10/12/competition_rib_recipe/

:twitch::wacko:

Never tried it myself. Anybody besides Heath actually check racks by temp? Got me wondering...
Next, you’ll be telling me to smoke my brisket at 300*+.....oh, wait...

SmittyJonz
10-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Bamboo Skewer Test for me......when it glides 'tween the bones they's Done........

ssv3
10-18-2018, 11:14 PM
Didn't expect that from Malcolm but I get it. :wink:

Kanco Connection
10-18-2018, 11:20 PM
For those of you who’d prefer not to watch the video, the short version is that Riles says he’s looking for about 206*. He temps in a few parts of the rack. Looking for a target temp. Can’t tell if Malcom is convinced, but Riles is legit.

ssv3
10-18-2018, 11:23 PM
Kind of like the folks that cook the brisket to that magical 203* :becky:

For those of you who’d prefer not to watch the video, the short version is that Riles says he’s looking for about 206*. He temps in a few parts of the rack. Looking for a target temp. Can’t tell if Malcom is convinced, but Riles is legit.

Kanco Connection
10-18-2018, 11:31 PM
Kind of like the folks that cook the brisket to that magical 203* :becky:

Ha! You got me. Guarantee I cooked my first 8 briskets just like that. :icon_blush:

But never temped a rack

electron_si
10-19-2018, 12:54 AM
I’ll be honest, I’ve pulled my first few briskets at 203 because that’s what I thought I was supposed to do.

Now I’ve gotten the probe thing down and know better. I’m also a toothpick guy on ribs

ChrisBarb
10-19-2018, 02:29 AM
Ribs are so thin, as opposed to a larger thicker cut, how can any temp reading be accurate?

Jason TQ
10-19-2018, 04:59 AM
I've been playing around with it actually over the years and have recently revisited it, and Heath is awesome in the comp circuit. You have to realize you can't just do it once or twice and toss it away as bs. Also realize he is talking comp bbq (even though he mentions cooking at home too this is for comp), so if you are comparing it to backyard then yes, you can tear it apart.

Thin ribs it might not work for, but for comp he is probably using ribs of a very similar thickness to give the judges a good meaty rib. So then it will work and probably be consistent. Our last 2 go rounds using a thermapen were 10th (last week) and a 1st (last month). So there has to be something to it if you know what to look for.........if only we didn't suck at everything else recently :-D

Also in the video he does say he is looking for a range. So watch the entire thing before you criticize.....too much :becky:

There is still a little feel in it for me, but similar to temp on a brisket it can certainly help to let you know when they are done. No magic brisket temp, but now cooking hotter I don't look until 206, previously cooking lower I'd look more 202-204.

LloydQ
10-19-2018, 07:07 AM
I cannot speak to Riles' rib temp technique, but I sure do like his rubs, especially the pecan. A bit sweet to be used alone, but really good as a top coat. I have been using Uncle Bob's Rib Rub as a base with very good results.

jermoQ
10-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Ribs are so thin, as opposed to a larger thicker cut, how can any temp reading be accurate?

I dont do it, but I would say as long as you make sure it is right in the middle like a steak

miked125
10-19-2018, 09:17 AM
you would think the bones would provide to much heat and give an inaccurate reading... I just use to look test haha.

Cook
10-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Agreed with most of what has been said above. What I can't figure is how so many people continue to listen to these competition cooks give comp tips and think that is how "normal" barbecue is done. By looking for a specific temperature, he is simply trying to eliminate as many variables as he can. It's a method he is comfortable with, and that is all.

Kanco Connection
10-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Fair points, and just to be clear: I’m not throwing rocks at Riles. I thought it was super interesting and look forward to trying it myself.

I doubt I’ll ever adopt it over the bend test or toothpick, but no sense turning my nose up at something just bc that’s how I’ve always done it. Fun to challenge convention. Fun to try new things.

dadsr4
10-19-2018, 11:43 AM
Well, he is using a probe, and it looks like it is passing the toothpick test. If that point is at about 206 deg, I'll never know.

Nuco59
10-19-2018, 12:52 PM
He might have let you all in on the rib temping trick. Many of you will be trying this out this weekend to see if it's legit. (admit it)

But like all masters, he's keeping certain secrets to himself.... like his "lucky" underwear.

:grin:

Pedro7
10-19-2018, 12:58 PM
One of our comps this year we had a team next to us temp testing ribs. They got a call on all 4 meats, so it must be working for them. At home or cooking for a crowd, I ain't got time for that. In comp, maybe we'll give it a shot. In the half a dozen comps we've done ribs have been the hardest for us to figure out. We're bend test people :laugh::laugh:

dadsr4
10-19-2018, 01:54 PM
One of our comps this year we had a team next to us temp testing ribs. They got a call on all 4 meats, so it must be working for them. At home or cooking for a crowd, I ain't got time for that. In comp, maybe we'll give it a shot. In the half a dozen comps we've done ribs have been the hardest for us to figure out. We're bend test people :laugh::laugh:
Curious, how do you know they were taking a temp as apposed to using the thermometer as a probe? If I'm cooking chicken at the same time as spareribs, I use my Thermopen product to probe the ribs.

Pedro7
10-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Curious, how do you know they were taking a temp as apposed to using the thermometer as a probe? If I'm cooking chicken at the same time as spareribs, I use my Thermopen product to probe the ribs.

They were saying the temps. I remember one of them saying "ok 198 perfect" or something along those lines. After that comp I tried cooking a rack of ribs to 198 and I remember it coming out good, but I guess it didn't impress me much as I haven't done it since :laugh::laugh: What I've learned in comps is to just get good at cooking BBQ your way, so I just keep doing my way and not throw too many of other people variables that I see cooking at comps in.

dadsr4
10-19-2018, 02:39 PM
They were saying the temps. I remember one of them saying "ok 198 perfect" or something along those lines. After that comp I tried cooking a rack of ribs to 198 and I remember it coming out good, but I guess it didn't impress me much as I haven't done it since :laugh::laugh: What I've learned in comps is to just get good at cooking BBQ your way, so I just keep doing my way and not throw too many of other people variables that I see cooking at comps in.
Were they loin backs? I can almost see trying that in an attempt to not dry them out.

Pedro7
10-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Were they loin backs? I can almost see trying that in an attempt to not dry them out.

Not sure. They were wrapped in foil and had them opened with the sides of the foil up, so to speak. So, couldn't really get a look. Doubtful, however. Most everybody around here is cooking spares in comp.

Smoking Piney
10-19-2018, 05:19 PM
I never go by temp on ribs. I use a tooth pick and I bend test them.

If checking temp works for you, it's all good. :-D