PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Wings

DanB
10-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Hi all What is the best way to chicken wing parts on my WSM 22"..I have the CB Rotisserie-Rib-O-Lator?
Thanks DanB

upStomp
10-16-2018, 08:54 AM
I do them on the top rack, no pan, vents wide open. 23 minutes per side.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1064&pictureid=12399

DanB
10-17-2018, 06:11 AM
I do them on the top rack, no pan, vents wide open. 23 minutes per side.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1064&pictureid=12399

Hi This doesn't sound so exciting to me.
Thanks DanB

Stingerhook
10-17-2018, 06:35 AM
I do them the same way on my 18", not exciting but good.

sudsandswine
10-17-2018, 07:13 AM
Well, you asked for the best way, not the most exciting way. :wink:

DanB
10-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Hi All So the best way to do the wings would be to grilled them on my WSM. Forgive me I didn't know the WSM could be used as a grill.. Just might go that way, put the wings in a basket so I just have to turn the basket, and not all the wings.
Thanks DanB

sudsandswine
10-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Higher heat works better on chicken, and especially wings, IMO. If your grate temp was at least 300* I think you'd be alright in a WSM, hence the recommendation for no water pan. Not a bad idea on the basket for ease of turning.

I do my wings indirect on a Weber kettle running at least 400*. The fat gets nice and rendered, kind of "frying" the wing, and making the skin crispy and meat underneath it delicious.

Big George's BBQ
10-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Moose has a nice thread on wings

BuffettFan
10-17-2018, 12:05 PM
^^^^^^^
Yup, what George said. I followed his recipe with the exception of using pecan instead of oak and they were hands down the best I've ever made.

DanB
10-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Moose has a nice thread on wings

Hi All Who is this Moose?
Thanks DanB

THoey1963
10-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Want exciting? Rub the wings in HDD. Want them cooked right? Follow the post from uStomp.

Chicken gets higher temps to help the skin crisp up. I like to trim any extra fat and set them on a cooling rack over a sheet pan. I salt both sides of the chicken and put the pan in the fridge uncovered for at least an hour, overnight is better, that's called a dry brine.

When ready to cook, add your additional spices (be careful of any extra salt), smoke / grill indirect at around 350* or a little higher. Thighs and wings take up to an hour, but you want to go by temp on chicken, at least 165* internal for breasts, but I prefer around 180* for the dark meat to give the connective tissues a chance to break down.

I don't usually sauce them, as it can make the skin rubbery, but instead, serve any sauce on the side for those that want it.

DanB
10-17-2018, 03:03 PM
Hi All
Right now the wings are sitting in 3 different marinades Tomorrow they will go into a basket then onto my Smoky Joe grill. I'm hoping I can tell which is which after they are cooked.
1 Italian Dressing
2 Teriyaki
3 Latin
Thanks Dan

Guiltyr1
10-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Hi All Who is this Moose?
Thanks DanB

I too would like to know and would like the recipe too..

sudsandswine
10-17-2018, 03:20 PM
A Moose thread (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263808)

Home Farm BBQ
10-17-2018, 04:08 PM
Load that thing up full of charcoal and try to get above 325. Leave water pan out.

If you have a weber kettle. Look into the vortex. You won't be disappointed. Wing cooking machine.

DanB
10-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Load that thing up full of charcoal and try to get above 325. Leave water pan out.

If you have a weber kettle. Look into the vortex. You won't be disappointed. Wing cooking machine.

Hi They are going on my Weber Smoky Joe Grill with KBB, getting temps to 325 should be no problem. Vortex I already have too many toys for my grills and smokers.
Thanks DanB

upStomp
10-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I balance the WSM on my chin during the cook. Exciting enough now? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, the excitement comes from the smoke and rub (HDD is killer).

ETA: I use the method I listed because I didn't want to lose real-estate to get a cook done on my kettle with a vortex or SnS. I can fit close to 7lbs of wings on the 22.5 and do multiple batches if needed. No extra do-dads necessary.

70monte
10-18-2018, 03:14 PM
I use the Vortex with my Weber Kettle and get perfect wings every time with no need to flip. Done in 35-40 minutes.

I never tried doing them on the WSM but I imagine you could just fill the lower section with lit coals and cook them on the middle rack or probably even the top rack.

Rockinar
10-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Try the hot water trick and let us know if it makes it exciting.

DanB
10-19-2018, 09:10 AM
Hi All Cooking very hot n fast. I had to put bricks under the basket to get some distance from the fire :blabla: Bottom line the wings could have much more cristy Italian dressing tasted the best.
DanB

BuffettFan
10-19-2018, 03:01 PM
That's the beauty of the vortex Dan, no direct flame and crispy skin.
I know you said you didn't want to buy any more accessories, but it is handy. Very happy I bought one.
Come on Dan, have some Kool-Aid...... :-P

Your wings still look tasty though!

sudsandswine
10-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Your wings look tasty to me :thumb:

I was skeptical on the Vortex as well and held off buying one for a long time despite seeing so many positive reviews here. $35 well spent, IMO...wish I would've a long time ago. It's my go-to wing cooking method, and I really like the way other chicken parts come out with it as well.

If you still don't want to buy one, I would try cooking high heat indirect next time with your coals piled on one side of the grill...less chance for flare ups, and you can still go direct at the end if necessary if you want to tighten the skin up a bit. On a 14" grill this is going to be a little harder to do obviously but I bet you can find an 18"+ kettle on Craigslist for free or next to it.

Bklmt2000
10-19-2018, 03:42 PM
I make wings on my 26" Weber, and it came with 2 grill baskets that when put back-to-back, function very much like a Vortex.

A pic: (grill baskets are near the top of the pic; these wings got cooked indirectly, a brief sear, then back to the indirect side for saucing)

https://i.imgur.com/WQ3su65.jpg

Smoking Piney
10-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Dan,

I'm not into useless gadgets, either, but the Vortex was a godsend to my wing cooking - thighs also. It was the best money I've ever spent for my Weber.

It's the only way I will cook wings and thighs now.

DanB
10-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Hi All Can I use the Vortex with WSM 22"? I don't have a kettle.
I just did a Vortex search wow there so many out there.
Thanks DanB

sudsandswine
10-20-2018, 09:12 AM
There is probably less benefit on a WSM because even the lower grate is so far from the heat source. I think half the magic of the vortex may be some sort of convection action at the center of the kettle, but the other half is high radiant indirect heat due proximity with the heat source.

midwest_kc
10-20-2018, 10:57 AM
For use on the WSM, I'd remove the middle section, and then set up the bottom section, light it and put the cooking grate right on top. I've grilled like this many times at comps - makes some mean burgers for Friday dinner. Never used a vortex with it, but no reason it wouldn't work.

70monte
10-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Dan,

I'm not into useless gadgets, either, but the Vortex was a godsend to my wing cooking - thighs also. It was the best money I've ever spent for my Weber.

It's the only way I will cook wings and thighs now.

This is me too. I don't cook wings any other way. Actually, the only thing I use my Weber Kettle anymore is to cook wings with the Vortex.

DanB
10-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Your wings look tasty to me :thumb:

I was skeptical on the Vortex as well and held off buying one for a long time despite seeing so many positive reviews here. $35 well spent, IMO...wish I would've a long time ago. It's my go-to wing cooking method, and I really like the way other chicken parts come out with it as well.

If you still don't want to buy one, I would try cooking high heat indirect next time with your coals piled on one side of the grill...less chance for flare ups, and you can still go direct at the end if necessary if you want to tighten the skin up a bit. On a 14" grill this is going to be a little harder to do obviously but I bet you can find an 18"+ kettle on Craigslist for free or next to it.

Hi Where did you buy your Vortex for $35.00?
Thanks DanB

jonfromjersey
10-21-2018, 10:14 AM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BP7JFWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1