PDA

View Full Version : The Lure Of The Offset Smoker

16Adams
10-16-2018, 06:55 AM
Walked into Walmart garden center to buy some mesquite chunks. There sat a NIB unopened Oklahoma Joe Highland discounted to $125. Stared at it, thought about it- left. Sitting in my easy chair reading Holy Smoke random pages I Youtubed the OJ-H. Anyway decided I could easily have $125+tax of fun. I’ve said before outside of a pit nothing screams bbq like an offset smoker burping TBS.

Went back, was gone.

Good.

smoke ninja
10-16-2018, 07:02 AM
not a fan of the highland, too small. the hotspot is almost half the cook chamber. the longhorn is better but retails for $550.

besides you have a stick burner, they are just really really tiny splits made of saw dust

pjtexas1
10-16-2018, 07:42 AM
You snooze, you win...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16Adams
10-16-2018, 07:42 AM
According to brickseek they’re discounted quite a few locations. I’m good that it was gone. The YouTube vid showed how to seal it up and work more efficiently- tuning plates using existing grates and HD aluminum foil. It wasn’t going to be for long cooks- more like functional statuary that produces food. A chicken-a casserole-SPAM-garlic; the usual short term suspects. Here’s SKU info if anyone is interested

Oklahoma Joe Highland 879 sq in Smoker
MSRP: $288
SKU: 33605961

frayedend
10-16-2018, 08:07 AM
I've got the Highland. I do want something bigger but this thing works just fine. I used a few ceramic tiles as tuning plates. I get even temps across the entire chamber. I use charcoal and wood chunks mostly. I'd have loved to get that deal. I paid $300 and I'm happy with that.

Big George's BBQ
10-16-2018, 08:20 AM
I liked my offset when I had it- a Meadowcreek 120 Cant stay up at night like I use too I am happy with my Egg

fwdiii
10-16-2018, 09:32 AM
I picked up my OK Joe Highland the same way....deep discounted to $140. Added a few mods and it produces some pretty good food which the family loves. Very happy with mine.

SmittyJonz
10-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Go Vertical.........

Nuco59
10-16-2018, 07:09 PM
A COS in a back yard can be one of two things:

A well-taken care of tool whose owner knows and has mastered its limitations to turn out envy inducing bbq- the toast of the neighborhood

Or a monument to a once aspiring pit master who has given the hell up and now dumps charcoal into the bottom of the cook chamber for overcooked burgers, hot dogs and his signature burnt ass cheap sirloin that the dog won't even eat.

I'd love to have one to see what mine shows me to be... one day maybe.

keezy
10-16-2018, 07:23 PM
"Or a monument to a once aspiring pit master who has given the hell up and now dumps charcoal into the bottom of the cook chamber for overcooked burgers, hot dogs and his signature burnt ass cheap sirloin that the dog won't even eat."

That's kind of what became of my cheapo offset but I did some awesome grilling in the main chamber until I burnt it out. I had a few good pork butt and chuck roast low and slow cooks but it was way, way too hard.

Nuco59
10-16-2018, 07:45 PM
I wish the COS had a bit less "cheap" - AND in the instruction manual, it had a few websites (this one for example) that could help you make the best of your purchase. I would have zero reservations about buying even a Highland using what I learned off this fine site. The Highland IS smaller than I'd like- but I could run it and be happy with the food that came off it.

SmittyJonz
10-16-2018, 07:54 PM
I wish the COS had a bit less "cheap" - AND in the instruction manual, it had a few websites (this one for example) that could help you make the best of your purchase. I would have zero reservations about buying even a Highland using what I learned off this fine site. The Highland IS smaller than I'd like- but I could run it and be happy with the food that came off it.

You already gots a stick burner your buddy at work made.........

gtsum
10-16-2018, 08:09 PM
A COS in a back yard can be one of two things:

A well-taken care of tool whose owner knows and has mastered its limitations to turn out envy inducing bbq- the toast of the neighborhood

Or a monument to a once aspiring pit master who has given the hell up and now dumps charcoal into the bottom of the cook chamber for overcooked burgers, hot dogs and his signature burnt ass cheap sirloin that the dog won't even eat.

I'd love to have one to see what mine shows me to be... one day maybe.

Lol...too funny!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nuco59
10-16-2018, 08:57 PM
"You already gots a stick burner your buddy at work made........."

yep... but it's not an offset - Adam16 says there's a difference :grin:

(disclaimer, I enjoy my upright- now that I'm using the right fuel. I'd lurve to try something different- even if it's not "better" in any demonstrable way)

Happy Hapgood
10-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Nawww no way you can "Master" it Adams what with all the wind, rain, snow, sleet, high temps, sand storms, sleet and such.

Best leave it to the Pro's. :caked:

16Adams
10-17-2018, 08:17 AM
I know. It’s probably the one cooker that kicked my butt the hardest. I’d have to pay attention. Like a good Willie Nelson song, “I let my mind wander”

miked125
10-17-2018, 10:27 AM
I love the concept of the offset but I am digging the vertical smokers more. I also live in a very cold place, I would be blowing through wood if it wasn't insulated.

LifeLongWNYer
10-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Soooo, this morning my Walmart had two of those smokers in the vestibule tagged at 109.99. I am SO tempted, but keep thinking about the guys who write books ( Meat head and Aaron Franklin, notably ) who say that the metal in those cheapies is so thin that temperature control is very difficult.

It is a good deal, but, IF it becomes something that isn't useful, I'll have spent $110 for a lawn ornament.

What say you all?

Happy Hapgood
10-17-2018, 09:34 PM
I know. It’s probably the one cooker that kicked my butt the hardest. I’d have to pay attention. Like a good Willie Nelson song, “I let my mind wander”

Can relate Adams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_6CYfRiiGk

smoke ninja
10-17-2018, 09:56 PM
Soooo, this morning my Walmart had two of those smokers in the vestibule tagged at 109.99. I am SO tempted, but keep thinking about the guys who write books ( Meat head and Aaron Franklin, notably ) who say that the metal in those cheapies is so thin that temperature control is very difficult.

It is a good deal, but, IF it becomes something that isn't useful, I'll have spent $110 for a lawn ornament.

What say you all?

that's a good price.

LifeLongWNYer
10-17-2018, 10:10 PM
You are TEMPTING me. At this moment, I would rather spend twice, or 3 times, that amount for a really good offset, but I think a good, not great, but good, offset, will cost me more than that.

HOWEVER, if I walk into Walmart on Friday, and there is still one left, I just might get it. I'm driving the truck then, just in case.

JasonS
10-17-2018, 10:20 PM
I grabbed a Highland last year at Walmart for $100.

I typically don't have time to tend this style of cooker, so for a minimal investment, I can have fun burning wood when I do have the time. Turns out some pretty good Q, so I'm happy I bought it.

I've spent more on wood than I have for the cooker! :loco:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4612/26638709598_8ff0e939b2_z.jpg

Hoss
10-17-2018, 10:33 PM
Buy once,cry once.The sweetness of low price turns bitter when coupled with poor/inferior quality.Just my humble opinion.Buy a good one,take care of it and pass it down for a generation or three.At least they may get good money for it at the estate sale when you bite it. :twitch::wink: :becky:

LifeLongWNYer
10-18-2018, 09:11 PM
Okay, Hoss, Tomorrow I was heading to Walmart, if they still had them, one was going home with me, but you changed my mind. I would rather wait for a GOOD model, and spend more, but be happy every time I fire it up.

My Mom used to say "watch what you spend your money on, because you can only spend it once". ( Thanks Mom )

Smoking Piney
10-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Adams,

I've been considering an offset. too......but for my retirement in about 6 years.

I figure I'll have time to tend the fire and enjoy not being at work. :-D

pjtexas1
10-18-2018, 11:37 PM
Okay, Hoss, Tomorrow I was heading to Walmart, if they still had them, one was going home with me, but you changed my mind. I would rather wait for a GOOD model, and spend more, but be happy every time I fire it up.

My Mom used to say "watch what you spend your money on, because you can only spend it once". ( Thanks Mom )

.Good advice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SmittyJonz
10-18-2018, 11:59 PM

better Save Up $1500 +...........$3295 would Be Ideal.............

https://www.stlbbqstore.com/shirley-fabrication-smokers/

Mikhail
10-19-2018, 07:43 AM
Adams,

I've been considering an offset. too......but for my retirement in about 6 years.

I figure I'll have time to tend the fire and enjoy not being at work. :-D

That's pretty much where I am. It is difficult to find time to use the toys I have. Hopefully that occurs next July.

Who knows, Perhaps the Open Range will serve as that final cooker for me. Haven't fired it up yet.

KevinJ
10-19-2018, 08:39 AM

This is were I'm at.

Looking real hard at the LSG 20", not aesthetically the best looking offset but the size is perfect for my needs and like the cross flow tech, it would also come in under 2K but that's not the biggest selling point just a bonus. If I wanted or need bigger would probably look at a top flow offset like the Rockin W Backyard or maybe the Jambo Backyard, just don't need something that big because most of the time I'm just cooking for 2 but when we move in a few years that may change.

smoke ninja
10-19-2018, 10:21 AM

you know I've never bought a cooker for over $250. almost always used if not clearanced priced. they all work but are never what I deserve. one of these days tho.

BuffettFan
10-19-2018, 10:28 AM
I have a cheap Brinkman offset, 14 gage steel, and can attest to the fact that it takes more fuel and more attention that a heavier unit. Also, the firebox is relatively small, needing even more attention.
Last weekend, with temps around 50*, I noticed an increase in cooking time and charcoal used trying to maintain temp.
I bought it ~20 years ago but really hadn't used it more than a few times until this year. (Career change, no longer a slave to the job like I was for the last 30 years)
It worked great all summer, but I'm concerned about it's performance in the coming winter. Had I known then what I know now, which is still not a lot, I would have bought a much heavier smoker.
For now, I enjoy the time spent tending to the fire, watching the temps, making improvements to the cooker and my methods, so it fits my needs. It's turned out some killer grub this past summer.
The next one, which will probably be my last, will definitely be heavier, probably bigger and much better researched than this one was. Meanwhile, till I retire or this one rots out, I'll keep on watching it closely. That's half of the enjoyment I get out of cooking.