PDA

View Full Version : Portable / Small Pellet Grill Thread

pjtexas1
10-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Wanted to start a separate thread for those wanting or having questions about small pellet cookers. The "official" thread is getting big and is mainly about higher end cookers.

I'll start with my situation. I'm looking in the $600 and under area for something that will fit a 10lb brisket. Would be nice to have a PID controller. I'm not looking to wow anyone just something that works reliably. Are the little GMG and Rec-Tec T-340 the best options?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Joshw
10-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Don't know much about the lower end units, but if I were in the market for something portable, I would probably go with a Davy Crocket. Use the extra money on meat and pellets.

rwalters
10-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Bang for buck, Iíve seen a lot of happy GMG Davy Crockett owners on various forums.

sleebus.jones
10-09-2018, 07:50 AM
The GMG Davy Crockett was the first pellet grill I started out with. For the two of us, it's the perfect size, and it was the one I used most frequently. I have cooked a LOT of shoulders, ribs, brisket, steaks etc. on this little thing, and it does a great job. It honestly does a very good job on steaks...flavor is great! It is also very economical on pellet use since it's so small. Overnight cooks are no problem with a full hopper...just make sure your briskets don't exceed 17" in length!

Only thing is that I've got one that has the two-piece drip pan. This is so you can slide it and get direct heat, or slide it the other way and get indirect. Over time, the top pan gets a bow to it, and it no longer closes the holes as well, so you get somewhere between direct/indirect heat. This will catch up to you on longer cooks. GMG has released a solid SS pan to fix this. It's only $10 and a snap to change out. Barring that, you can wrap the top pan in HD foil, which will work similarly.

I've been very happy with the purchase. I've had it for a bit over 2 years in heavy use. Haven't needed any parts. Portability is great; I'm planning on bringing it to the bash. :) Happy to answer any questions you have.

jstrand
10-09-2018, 10:32 AM
I'll second the DC, I've done a 12 pound brisket, put a metal bowl under it for a while till it shrunk enough not to touch the ends of the grill, turned out great. 5 racks of ribs using a rib rack. Wifi, if you like those things. Its nice to be in the warmth checking the meat or grill temps on the phone and changing the temp if necessary. It's worked great when it's below zero too. Variable speed fan. I've been really happy with it. Only problem is now I want a bigger one.
https://www.amazon.com/Green-Mountain-Grill-Davy-Crockett/dp/B078TQTY1T/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539095369&sr=8-4&keywords=davy+crockett+grill

SmokyDick
10-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Y'all making me want a DC.

Being single I don't need anything large. Just something that I can do a couple racks of ribs in or a butt/small brisket.

Hows the pellet consumption?

sleebus.jones
10-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Hows the pellet consumption?

As stated above, it's VERY easy on pellets.

SmokerKing
10-09-2018, 11:18 AM
My nephew has a Davy Crockett, he's in Denver and he claims that thing eats pellets like crazy. Has to be the altitude. He's tried 4 or 5 different kinds of pellet manufacturers as well.

sleebus.jones
10-09-2018, 12:20 PM
My nephew has a Davy Crockett, he's in Denver and he claims that thing eats pellets like crazy. Has to be the altitude. He's tried 4 or 5 different kinds of pellet manufacturers as well.

If he thinks that's bad, he should try a BIG one like a Jim Bowie.

DouG M
10-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Thanks to all who have posted on the Davy Crockett for I'm looking at one, it's on sale. UDS ok but would like the more set and let it do it's thing. Doug M

jasonjax
10-09-2018, 05:52 PM
I'd consider a Rec Tec Bullseye also. I have been super happy with that thing, and I'm pretty sure it is actually lighter than my GMG DC.

I switched from the DC to the Bullseye for steak cookoffs, and I can say the bullseye is a LOT easier to move around if that is a consideration for you.

It doesn't have a PID, but I have been very happy with the temperature control, and this is coming from a guy who owns a Cookshack FEC-100, and FPG-500. (gave the GMG DC to my father in law.

Smokie185
10-09-2018, 06:43 PM
Thanks to all who have posted on the Davy Crockett for I'm looking at one, it's on sale. UDS ok but would like the more set and let it do it's thing. Doug M

This is the cheapest price I have seen with free shipping.

https://www.bbqguys.com/green-mountain-grills/davy-crockett-wifi-controlled-portable-wood-pellet-grill-dcwf

SmittyJonz
10-09-2018, 07:20 PM
I’d get the lil RecTec.......

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-trailblazer/

SmokeDaddy has a smaller unit ........

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/pellet-pro-440-pellet-grill/

pjtexas1
10-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Nothing good or bad about the Rec-Tec models? Pellet consumption? Issues? Build quality?

The bigger GMG models felt thin/ light. I'm assuming that's why ya'll are saying they go thru pellets?

pjtexas1
10-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Iíd get the lil RecTec.......

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-trailblazer/

SmokeDaddy has a smaller unit ........

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/pellet-pro-440-pellet-grill/
.Why?

rehless
10-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Sleebus.jones, I have a GMG Davey Crockett. Have had it for a while and it has never been used. Covered in the shed. My concern is the weight. My mate is 82 and would be no help getting this in and out of our fifth wheel. How do you handle yours...if you use it as a portable.

jermoQ
10-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Dont have a Green Mountain. I have an 820 Pitboss. Have seen a smaller 440 Pitboss that is for to go cooking. Holds 5lbs of pellets and has the stupid square inch cooking space measurement. I havent had trouble with my big'n. Anybody seen or own the small Pitboss 440?

pjtexas1
10-09-2018, 11:01 PM
Not a lot of info out there on the smoke daddy. Anybody have one?

Smitty... why are you ignoring me?

Joshw
10-09-2018, 11:27 PM
Not a lot of info out there on the smoke daddy. Anybody have one?

Smitty... why are you ignoring me?

He's just sad, that all his friends, are turning into pellet heads.

SmittyJonz
10-09-2018, 11:44 PM
Why?

As in my Pellet Pondering thread - RecTec is Chinese made except the Electronics- they are USA made ( from what I gathered) -use more stainless inside that other cheap ones and one of the Best Priced with Good Controller and from what I’ve seen n read -rank High in Customer Satisfaction And their Customer Service ranks High. Hard to find a used one for sale -so people keep them.

pjtexas1
10-10-2018, 12:14 AM
Rec-Tec 80LBS
Pellet Pro 150LBS
Kind of leaning towards the pellet pro. The SS model looks real nice. So much for the budget! Maybe I'll wait and see if they'll do the buy 1 get 1 half off... then me and smitty can both get one. :pound:

RemoGaggi
10-10-2018, 01:20 AM
I have a DC and it just didn't work well with the 2-piece drip pan - even on shorter cooks, it would burn the bottoms and give me crispy edges. Get the one-piece drip pan and it will make it a good smoker. With that said, I'm waiting for the mini-Mak which hopefully will be released next year.

lkissell
10-10-2018, 09:56 AM
I have the Rec Tec Mini - LOTS of stainless, WiFI, 2 meat probes, great customer support and extremely reliable.

To me it's the best value pellet grill on the market. You won't be disappointed.

Big George's BBQ
10-10-2018, 11:42 AM
I believe 16Adams has a Davy Crocket and has had good results

Bill-Chicago
10-10-2018, 01:16 PM
What is the portable that sliding_billy brings to the Texas bashes?

That thing is pretty sweet.

pjtexas1
10-10-2018, 01:22 PM
What is the portable that sliding_billy brings to the Texas bashes?

That thing is pretty sweet.GMG Davy Crockett

Smoking Cajun
10-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Looks like Camp Chef just came out with one called the Pursuit. Might be worth checking out.

Czarbecue
10-10-2018, 09:48 PM
So youíre looking into getting the Davy Crockett because it fits in your new Prius? :heh:

pjtexas1
10-10-2018, 09:56 PM
So youíre looking into getting the Davy Crockett because it fits in your new Prius? :heh:Said the guy pulling his cooker with a mini van...:heh:

Czarbecue
10-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Said the guy pulling his cooker with a mini van...:heh:

I slept in the back on the way to pick it up because it sounded much better than Nowheresville, Louisiana :thumb:

pjtexas1
10-10-2018, 10:33 PM
the Pellet Pro has a re-light feature if the temp goes below 130. Seems like this resolves the flame out issues on other low end cookers. I like it!

Automatically runs start up cycle when temp drops below 130įF

slowmo
10-10-2018, 10:55 PM
I bought a pellet smoker at Sam's for $299 and is nicely built and heavy duty. It doesnt come with any meat probes and only has a 10 lb pellet hopper. I added my own maverick xr-50 and a pellet hopper extension. I now have 4 meat probes going through a nice grommet in the side of the cooking chamber and will hold 25 lbs of pellets. It now has all the comforts of the high end pellet smokers and will hold a 10 lb brisket and then some. It's made by embersgrills www.embersgrills.com

SmittyJonz
10-10-2018, 11:44 PM
Go SmokeDaddy........................................ ..

pjtexas1
10-10-2018, 11:56 PM
Go SmokeDaddy........................................ ..That's gonna be my new screen name when i finally buy one. :pound:

gtsum
10-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Camp chef pursuit looks interesting. Wish it was out when I bought my DC for the camper

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Czarbecue
10-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Can the DC fit a full size restaurant pan?

RemoGaggi
10-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Can the DC fit a full size restaurant pan?

Not even close. The opening is 15.5 inches left to right and about 12" deep. The largest pan you can get in there is a 16" x 12" and you'd have to tilt the pan diagonally to get it in.

16Adams
10-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Two upright chickens sitting on cans barely not touching or a pan like this or the quarter sheet pan. They do have an accessory grate for two levels I believe. This is a small piece of pork. Just under 5#

pjtexas1
10-12-2018, 12:15 AM
Sent Smoke Daddy an email at 10:06pm...10:53pm i get a response from Dennis. Awesome!

pjtexas1
10-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Bump... call me smitty

HOBONICHOLBBQ
10-15-2018, 03:52 PM
I bought a GMG DC Friday. First impressions........Pit temp probe was off by well over 50 degrees. Luckily you can change that through the app. Everytime the auger spins it sounds like a cordless drill. From what I have read, others have the same issue. Not a big deal but just letting anyone who cares know that this lil guy isn't quiet. I have had four cooks on it so far. Small pork shoulder, some burgers, sausage stuffed peppers and mac n cheese, and some beef ribs. Everything taste wise turned out fine. Thing gets hot fast and cools down pretty quickly after you are done cooking. Overall I am liking this guy. Portability it has. I can wrangle it around pretty easily.

BKING!
10-15-2018, 08:27 PM
I bought a GMG DC Friday. First impressions........Pit temp probe was off by well over 50 degrees. Luckily you can change that through the app. Everytime the auger spins it sounds like a cordless drill. From what I have read, others have the same issue. Not a big deal but just letting anyone who cares know that this lil guy isn't quiet. I have had four cooks on it so far. Small pork shoulder, some burgers, sausage stuffed peppers and mac n cheese, and some beef ribs. Everything taste wise turned out fine. Thing gets hot fast and cools down pretty quickly after you are done cooking. Overall I am liking this guy. Portability it has. I can wrangle it around pretty easily.

I used to own the gmg pig big rig. It cooked well but it was very loud as well. It may be just a gmg thing but you canít beat them for the money with the included WiFi.

sleebus.jones
10-16-2018, 08:13 AM
.Pit temp probe was off by well over 50 degrees.

What was your reference and where did you measure the temps? I've found that when putting another thermocouple by the stock location the temps are within a couple of degrees. If you measure in the middle of the grates, you'll definitely get a difference, just like on any other grill. Not defending them, just saying that's not terribly unusual.

HOBONICHOLBBQ
10-16-2018, 09:00 AM
What was your reference and where did you measure the temps? I've found that when putting another thermocouple by the stock location the temps are within a couple of degrees. If you measure in the middle of the grates, you'll definitely get a difference, just like on any other grill. Not defending them, just saying that's not terribly unusual.

I ran two probes each at about the 1/3 mark. I agree with you that where the stock location is was probably accurate. I just don't cook 1/2" from the left wall. LOL. I only brought it up so others would be aware and know it is adjustable.

RemoGaggi
10-16-2018, 10:04 AM

Does your DC have the 2-piece or 1 piece drip pan? If you've got the 2-piece, your temps and overall performance of the unit will be inconsistent as the 2-piece doesn't work well in this little unit. The 1 piece pan that GMG sells for $10 greatly improves performance and even temps. BTW, my DC is loud and lets out a mini-scream when it feeds. However, my Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie (I used to have) were quiet.

HOBONICHOLBBQ
10-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Does your DC have the 2-piece or 1 piece drip pan? If you've got the 2-piece, your temps and overall performance of the unit will be inconsistent as the 2-piece doesn't work well in this little unit. The 1 piece pan that GMG sells for $10 greatly improves performance and even temps. BTW, my DC is loud and lets out a mini-scream when it feeds. However, my Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie (I used to have) were quiet.

Mine came with the one piece. My left to right temps betwixed the probes was about 5-10 degrees. I am not sure when they made the switch but if my memory serves right my unit was built in late 2017 according to the paperwork.

RemoGaggi
10-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Mine came with the one piece. My left to right temps betwixed the probes was about 5-10 degrees. I am not sure when they made the switch but if my memory serves right my unit was built in late 2017 according to the paperwork.

Good that you got the 1-piece! I believe the two piece, even in the closed position, let too much hot air up through the holes which often caused uneven cooking, burned bottoms, and crispy edges. The 5-10 degree variation you have is very good. If you want to experiment, note the exact position of your heat shield now and next time move it slightly to the left or right (probably start with right) as movement left or right can affect the even temps. I have my heat shield all the way to the right and try to make sure the drip pan is evenly positioned from front to back (if I remember). On my last cook, I forgot to double check the position of my drip pan and it was pushed a little to the rear and the front of the cooker ran a little hotter than the rear. Not too big of a deal, but I was able to see the difference.

Randy3269
10-17-2018, 01:31 PM
All this talk has me making a Christmas list....Now to go look at the "Where do you buy pellets thread. :-D

pjtexas1
10-17-2018, 01:48 PM
All this talk has me making a Christmas list....Now to go look at the "Where do you buy pellets thread. :-DYou're welcome. Tell the wife it really isn't your fault...peer pressure on this site is for real!

SmittyJonz
10-18-2018, 06:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

pjtexas1
10-24-2018, 01:49 AM
Couldn't find this anywhere. Saw it at Atwoods today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181024/b6296ca6a0c967dc01d46e0cae55bdff.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181024/708c49558f70f48867176188101fd67c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181024/0cfd2025330e806cf4dd7b8c6a1cf007.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181024/4329ff738d757d831addb0181a1eb820.jpg

Joshw
10-24-2018, 02:29 AM
I don't know anything about their pellet cookers, but I bought a Smoke Hollow offset from Sams about 10 years ago. It was the biggest POS, I have ever had. They used to be based out of Missouri, but I think it is all built overseas now. I would do some serious research, before buying.

Dweverett
10-24-2018, 07:05 AM
I ran two probes each at about the 1/3 mark. I agree with you that where the stock location is was probably accurate. I just don't cook 1/2" from the left wall. LOL. I only brought it up so others would be aware and know it is adjustable.

It may vary by manufadture but I've always thought that the intent was to "calibrate" it to approximate the reading at the center of the grate. On mine (at least a few years back when I'd checked it) it was quite accurate. I've always wanted to try the same test in the winter and see if I get a different result as I would guess that there has to be more variation across the chamber when the shell is at 20 degrees than 85.

If I'm wrong then I'm even more impressed with how even the heat is in the cook chamber is on my grill.

HOBONICHOLBBQ
10-24-2018, 08:55 AM
It may vary by manufadture but I've always thought that the intent was to "calibrate" it to approximate the reading at the center of the grate. On mine (at least a few years back when I'd checked it) it was quite accurate. I've always wanted to try the same test in the winter and see if I get a different result as I would guess that there has to be more variation across the chamber when the shell is at 20 degrees than 85.

If I'm wrong then I'm even more impressed with how even the heat is in the cook chamber is on my grill.

I put the probes there to see what the left / right difference was. I think it was like 8 degrees. At that point I don't worry too much. The difference between the high on my probes and what the cooker probe was reading was the 50 degree difference. That's why I calibrated the cooker probe just so I had an idea of where the temp was really at.

ironbrew
11-10-2018, 11:39 AM
How well does the Davey Crocket do with Pizza and searing?

I have a Kamado Joe, but for the quick cooks, I'm missing my grill, but... liking the idea of the wifi in the DC that would allow me to be inside when it is colder here (right now it's around 0C or freezing and sometimes gets down to the -40 mark).

The other thing I'd like to know is can I use my Amaze'n to cold smoke with this unit? Or is it more like a gas grill and not too suitable?

Thanks

BKING!
11-10-2018, 01:10 PM

I have a Kamado Joe, but for the quick cooks, I'm missing my grill, but... liking the idea of the wifi in the DC that would allow me to be inside when it is colder here (right now it's around 0C or freezing and sometimes gets down to the -40 mark).

The other thing I'd like to know is can I use my Amaze'n to cold smoke with this unit? Or is it more like a gas grill and not too suitable?

Thanks

The pellet tube/ tray smokers are commonly used in pellet smokers for hot and cold smoking. Pellet cookers are great for pizza as long as they can get to at least 400 deg. For searing you have 2 options. Get a Unit that can do direct grilling or get some grill grates or a cast iron pan for conductive searing.

gtsum
11-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Thanks

Pizza on the dc is fine...size is limiting factor

For proper searing you will need grill grates.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pjtexas1
12-08-2018, 08:28 PM
https://m.samsclub.com/ip/members-mark-28in-pellet-smoker-grill/prod22370756?xid=plp_product_1_1