PDA

View Full Version : 22.5" WSM rotisserie-only Cajun Bandit?

jdefran
10-02-2018, 01:38 PM
My lovely wife noted I have expressed interest in a rotisserie for one of my grills.

I've decided I would enjoy it better for kettle/WSM than Genesis. That lead to 22" kettle or 26.75", which lead to 22" kettle & 22" WSM...

In my research thus far, it appears Cajun Bandit is the way to go. Any insight out there before passing info to my lady?

mattmountz94
10-02-2018, 02:33 PM
I have a roti for my 22" kettle (Weber's Roti). I loved it the first week i had it. I might of used it a total of 10 times. For me it's a hassle. Maybe if i bought a cordless motor that would help. I am pretty bad at trussing birds so i bought a basket. The basket works good but is a pain to clean.

So i would think hard before you purchase unless you don't mind toys laying around. If you decide to purchase i would get a cordless motor and a basket for sure. Favorite thing i did on it was a pineapple with a rum glaze.

Dmakkk
10-02-2018, 02:52 PM
^^^^i have one for my weber gasser that i used 5-10 time max that i used for chix. I now just spatchcock my chix for easier cook and clean up. Like Matt said it was more of a hassle for me as well.

upStomp
10-02-2018, 02:57 PM
I had one for my (now gone) gasser years ago. Used it maybe half a dozen times. I now spatchcock or split & hang (preferred) my chickens. For other roasts I just stick 'em in the WSM or go indirect on the kettle. The rotisserie just wasn't worth the hassle.

jdefran
10-02-2018, 03:11 PM
I appreciate the input! I do typically spatchcock my birds. I was gonna go with battery operated motor.

Smoking Piney
10-02-2018, 08:16 PM
I have a roti for my 22" kettle (Weber's Roti). I loved it the first week i had it. I might of used it a total of 10 times. For me it's a hassle. Maybe if i bought a cordless motor that would help. I am pretty bad at trussing birds so i bought a basket. The basket works good but is a pain to clean.

So i would think hard before you purchase unless you don't mind toys laying around. If you decide to purchase i would get a cordless motor and a basket for sure. Favorite thing i did on it was a pineapple with a rum glaze.

I have the roti ring and spit for my 22" kettle. I don't see it as a hassle. I plan the cook, truss and spit the bird, and go for it.

Power cords are a fact of life for my cooking. My Assassin uses one for the controller, so they are a non-issue. I have all kinds of toys ready for use.

A roti bird for me is a "day" project, not a "spur of the moment" cook project, and I enjoy it.

KB BBQ
10-02-2018, 11:45 PM
I have the Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring for the 22.5" WSM and it works great. I have only used it once to do 2 Fireball pineapples and I plan to try a rotisserie turkey soon. If your thinking about getting one, I would say go for it.

DanB
10-03-2018, 06:28 AM
I have the Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring for the 22.5" WSM and it works great. I have only used it once to do 2 Fireball pineapples and I plan to try a rotisserie turkey soon. If your thinking about getting one, I would say go for it.

:thumb::thumb: Love mine from CB
DanB

swamprb
10-03-2018, 07:49 AM
The thing I like about the Cajun Bandit rings is that they are reversible to fit the WSM's and kettles. The 26.75" also fits my 85 gallon drum. Have them for the 18, 22 & 26.75" and the old Cajun Bandit Conversion.

lkissell
10-03-2018, 08:14 AM
I have the CB rotisserie and love it. Like me toned above, it is a planned, longer cook, but fun when you have time.

kls44
10-03-2018, 08:30 AM
I have the Weber rotisserie kit, came with the used performer I picked up. Use it maybe once a month, cord is no problem. Truss the bird before putting on spit, much easier. I also have a tumble basket as well as a flat basket, use occasionally as they a pita to clean.

dgaddis1
10-03-2018, 08:59 AM
I used to spatchcock my birds, but now do them on the rotisserie. It is a bit of a PITA to clean and I don't use it if there's a threat of rain since I've got to use an extension cord and power. I need to do some actual research on the best way to tie up a chicken...sometimes I nail it, other times, not so much haha.

Cooking a pork loin on mine this weekend for a family get together. Wish me luck...

I do like that you can use the rotisserie + the grate at the same time, tho access to the grate is a bit harder obviously.

I'm building up a UDS and plan to use the roti on it on occasion too. I've got the Weber kit, but if I had a 22" WSM I'd get the Cajun Bandit for sure.

https://i.imgur.com/t5gyz7Hh.jpg

robert-r
10-03-2018, 09:51 AM
I have CB rotisserie rings for my 18.5, 22.5 and 26.75. And I made one for my 14.5.
I totally enjoy using then and the food they help produce. While not an absolute necessity - they sure add value to the things you can do with the grill.

Cleaning a spit and tongs isn't a big deal to me. Fairly EZ. Will admit a basket is a pita, however do some roadside chicken or pork chops and you'll probably agree that it's worth the effort.