PDA

View Full Version : Grill Dome shell repair?

Alphonse
09-19-2018, 09:06 AM
I have a Grill Dome kamado that is need of repair. The outer ceramic shell has spalled at the gasket surface in the rear. The area that spalled off is about 3/8" to 1/2" deep.

I talked to Grill Dome and they recommended repairing it by building the spalled area up with J B Weld. (BTW, so much for their warranty!)

I am looking for other repair alternatives that folks have successfully used.

Here's a photo of the damaged area.

GVDub
09-19-2018, 09:16 AM
It's worth checking out the recent thread on a cracked Kamado lid repair.

This one (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264517)

dadsr4
09-19-2018, 10:22 AM
JB Weld comes in large tubes, saves some money.
https://www.jbweld.com/products/j-b-weld-professional-size

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71HXDPO2%2BnL._SY879_.jpg

Alphonse
09-19-2018, 10:31 AM
JB Weld comes in large tubes, saves some money.

Thanks - I am familiar with JB Weld and keep it on hand in my metal working shop. However, I am looking for experience with other alternatives.

dadsr4
09-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Thanks - I am familiar with JB Weld and keep it on hand in my metal working shop. However, I am looking for experience with other alternatives.
JB Weld seems to be the most common repair medium used by ceramic cooker owners.

ChrisL
09-19-2018, 12:39 PM
I talked to Grill Dome and they recommended repairing it by building the spalled area up with J B Weld. (BTW, so much for their warranty!)

I would use JB weld personally, but if you want to try something else, I think refractory cement would also work just fine. I bought some at Lowes, it was premixed. Regardless, if it fails, you can easily grind it out and put in JB Weld.

Chris

Alphonse
09-19-2018, 01:09 PM
I would use JB weld personally, but if you want to try something else, I think refractory cement would also work just fine. I bought some at Lowes, it was premixed. Regardless, if it fails, you can easily grind it out and put in JB Weld.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I am curious why you would use the JB Weld.

The 550F temp limit is what concerns me.

ChrisL
09-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Thanks Chris, I am curious why you would use the JB Weld.

The 550F temp limit is what concerns me.

In my limited experience, the JB Weld is easier to apply, easier to machine and resulted in a stronger bond over the refractory cement. That is why I would use it over anything else.

In practice, the egg never gets that hot. Even running at 700 degrees for pizza, the outside is still under 200 degrees. In the off chance it does degrade and crack away, you can pretty easily repair it.

I used the refractory cement to shield the heat reaching the JB weld. If I did it again, I would not have bothered. I did have a crack in the bottom of the cooker as well that needed to be sealed and the refractory cement was perfect for that.

Chris

luv2smoke
09-19-2018, 02:23 PM
This stuff is good for 1000 degrees
http://www.alvinproducts.com/Product-Line/aT/View/ProductID/6/Hi-Temp-Lab-metal

Alphonse
09-19-2018, 02:31 PM
I called JB Weld tech support and they recommended I try this. I'll order a couple of these via AMZ and give it a spin.

Learning to BBQ
09-19-2018, 06:30 PM
what about muffler cement

ChrisL
09-19-2018, 07:03 PM
I looked at that stuff, doesn't state it bonds to ceramic. Let us know how it turns out, it is probably fine too.

Chris

Smoking Piney
09-19-2018, 07:31 PM
I have a Grill Dome kamado that is need of repair. The outer ceramic shell has spalled at the gasket surface in the rear. The area that spalled off is about 3/8" to 1/2" deep.

I am looking for other repair alternatives that folks have successfully used.

Here's a photo of the damaged area.

I really don't think JB Weld would work to build up that area. It's a bonding agent, not a filler, and that looks like a considerable area to fill right.