PDA

View Full Version : Vegimite/Marmite

SyraQue
09-14-2018, 09:55 AM
Anyone used either vegimite or marmite as a slather/binder for smoked meats? I'm interested in giving it a go, if anyone has any recommendations for good rub combinations etc.

Thanks in advance!

Joshw
09-14-2018, 10:44 AM
I used it in a marinade on short ribs, for the foreign infusion TD. I only used a couple of tablespoons in the whole marinade, and you could still taste it. Final product was meat pies, and they were delicious, but I would be careful with how much you use, unless you are a hardcore vegemite lover.

FattyMac
09-14-2018, 10:52 AM
I've never used it as a slather but I do use in anything that could use an umami boost.
A teaspoon or so, along with some fish sauce, does wonders for soups. stews and chili. It is also a part of my brisket wrap liquid.

SyraQue
09-14-2018, 11:51 AM
Hmm...that could be pretty delicious. Maybe vegimite, fish sauce, mirin and reduced sake for a wrap liquid?

That's a direction I wasn't even thinking of, thank you.

AussieMatt
09-14-2018, 12:51 PM
WOW, look at these Vegemite users coming out of the woodwork.

I eat it on toast and sandwiches, put it in meat pie filling but I haven't used it as a slather or marinade.

LYU370
09-14-2018, 03:20 PM
WOW, look at these Vegemite users coming out of the woodwork.

I think we have Titch to thank/blame for that. :razz:

EdF
09-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Hmm...that could be pretty delicious. Maybe vegimite, fish sauce, mirin and reduced sake for a wrap liquid?

That's a direction I wasn't even thinking of, thank you.

Ooh-Mommy!

IamMadMan
09-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Either you love it, or you hate it. I'm in the latter camp.

Titch
09-14-2018, 10:19 PM
https://wowineverknewthat.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/101-household-uses-for-vegemite/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yA98MujNeM

Worlds your Oyster:thumb:

Joshw
09-14-2018, 10:31 PM
https://wowineverknewthat.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/101-household-uses-for-vegemite/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yA98MujNeM

Worlds your Oyster:thumb:

That list seems a little shady. I want to know, have you sprayed vegemite in your shoes?

Titch
09-14-2018, 10:32 PM
That list seems a little shady. I want to know, have you sprayed vegemite in your shoes?

No need, I get black stuff in between my toes a lot, naturally:laugh:

Titch
09-15-2018, 06:16 AM
Guess i need to be serious
I have read quiet a lot about using Vegemite as a rub, i have tried heaps of recipes doing it as I love vegemite.
I will stick to using it on bread etc, great on crackers. Awefull on meats, just my opinion.

16Adams
09-15-2018, 08:24 AM
I gots to know. They had VM at World Market last time I was there.

SyraQue
09-15-2018, 08:45 AM
So I think I have a plan.

I'm thinking either beef short rib/beef chuck. Black ops rub maybe with a worchestershire/ marmite slather. Low and slow for a bit in the smoke. Pan with marmite, sake, fish sauce, honey and a bit of lime. Cook till fall apart. End game is maybe some Viet/Austin style spring rolls?

Not fully settled yet, but I usually wing it a bit during a cook anyways.

Sevengoals
09-15-2018, 12:47 PM
I never thought I'd see a thread about Vegemite / Marmite here.
:-D

I put it on my toast, on bread, always with butter and sometimes with cheese.

I love it, but here in Austria the "locals" run a mile from it so I have never considered using it in a marinade.

And there is no way I can share my limited supplies with "non- Vegemite lovers"...

16Adams
09-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Hell, Iím in.

SyraQue
09-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Well, so much for my cooking being done for the weekend. Stopping to grab some beef on the way home from a family lunch. This has turned into a brain worm.

SyraQue
09-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Alright, chuckie is on the wsm 22. Slather was 2tbls marmite, couple dashes of Worcestershire and some local honey. It almost tasted like a European style teriyaki, but with a lot more umami. Rubbed with Oakridge Black Ops. Thing smelled freakin delicious. I'll update as things go and maybe finally try to post some pics.

Thanks again everyone with the ideas for the adventure!

16Adams
09-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Excellent- I bought a really cute small rack of St. Louis cut spares. I’ll be doing a Vegemite slather. Tomorrow, maybe Monday.

BigThicket
09-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Please don't subject those poor ribs to that.

Joshw
09-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Excellent- I bought a really cute small rack of St. Louis cut spares. Iíll be doing a Vegemite slather. Tomorrow, maybe Monday.

Having tried it on beef. I think it is going to overpower your pork. I would go light with it. Good Luck, and I hope you like the funk.

dadsr4
09-15-2018, 05:38 PM
Excellent- I bought a really cute small rack of St. Louis cut spares. Iíll be doing a Vegemite slather. Tomorrow, maybe Monday.
A while ago, I tried basting a rotisserie chicken with a level tablespoon of Vegemite mixed with a cup of butter. About a half of it was left over and the Vegemite flavor was pronounced. I feel you will be disappointed with the strong flavor after using it as a slather. Think how little those who like it actually use on their toast. It's basically bitter salt.

SyraQue
09-15-2018, 06:16 PM
As an aside to this debate......

I have no concrete update on the food yet, however, I just stepped out to check the cooker.

There are times when you get the chance to head outside for a moment and get a perfect combination. The sun is warm. The beer is cold. The cooker is pumping tbs.

Life is good and so is this cook.

Cheers Brethren.

SmokinAussie
09-15-2018, 06:51 PM
Hi SyraQue,

Good luck on the cook. Just note that Vegemite / Marmite is the equivalent of Umami Artillery.

2 TBS I think might be overkill. Maybe a TSP at most would have been best to start with, but I could be wrong.

Best of luck. Interested to see how it turns out. Nope, I have never used in in a rub, but I have put it in Moink Balls and it's been OK.

To everyone trying Vegemite for the first time, IT'S NOT LIKE PEANUT BUTTER. You do not slather it on . You use just enough to color your margarine / butter a bit for the first time. Try that and go from there. Otherwise, you'll just hate if forever 'cause you ate it wrong.

Cheers!

SyraQue
09-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Just something I feel like I should make clear.

I am actually tasting everything as I go along. Nothing has gone on meat or in sauce that I have not tasted individually first and then together when blended. Aside from the raw beef, that is. My approach to this entire cook has been South East/ Central Asian. Ideally that means a blend of Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Salty, Spicy and Umami. I am also sure I missed something in that explanation.

Yes, the slather was salty. It was also sweet and earthy. It was also applied lightly. The pan sauce covers the above implied tasts/seasonings.

It may come out horrible. It may come out fantastic. Either way, I have the 25 bucks and the interest to take the journey.

Thanks again and Cheers!

Titch
09-16-2018, 04:18 AM
So? where is it at?

SmokinAussie
09-16-2018, 09:58 AM
Yeah...

Where's it at?

The Aussies wanna know!

Showz us!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

SyraQue
09-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Sorry this took so long, been a morning.

Final thoughts are these. Overall flavor came out very close to what I wanted. Super high in umami. That being said, if you dont like the kind of funk that comes with aged meat, miso or stinky cheese, this may not be for you. I'm pretty sure my kitchen is going to smell like a Japanese resturaunt for a week.

Also, the Vegimite/Marmite definitely needs to be used carefully, like you kind folks have said. I used honey as an efficient foil for that saltiness. If you are more keto inclined, bright acids like vinegar or lime juice may also work as well. Maybe.

Lastly, I dont think I would use the Vegimite/Marmite in the pan juice again. Enough flavor comes through from the slather and the extra addition does ratchet up the salt. It works for me, but may be too much for others. Should I do this again, I would probably stick to low sodium beef stock or the like.

In the end, I didnt get to the spring rolls. Instead I maybe a basic crunchy slaw with a good amount of vinegar. Put it with the meat on tortillas. Lazy cop out, but still good.

Thanks again to all of you for your patience and comments.
Cheers!

SyraQue
09-16-2018, 10:27 AM
There we go.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj577/Carfire93/IMG_0134_zpsn6bu7exs.jpg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj577/Carfire93/IMG_0138_zps87qjp2hd.jpg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj577/Carfire93/IMG_0141_zpswu9i4vfr.jpg

SmokinAussie
09-17-2018, 06:39 PM
Hi SyraQue,

Great to hear it was not a total loss. I just did a whole batch of Biltong last week that was a total loss. That hurts. :sad:

Anyway, yes... About using a beef stock substitute in the future, look up "Bovril" this is a preparation that some English folks drink like tea, but it is a beefy stock concentrate and not as "weapons grade" as Vegemite.

Again, if you do make up some MOINK balls or at least some little meatballs from scratch, a teaspoon of Vegemite really does help. as it would in a meat pie.

Good luck in your future exploits.

Bill

Desert Hawg
09-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Hi SyraQue,

To everyone trying Vegemite for the first time, IT'S NOT LIKE PEANUT BUTTER. You do not slather it on . You use just enough to color your margarine / butter a bit for the first time. Try that and go from there. Otherwise, you'll just hate if forever 'cause you ate it wrong.

Cheers!
Had Vegemite in 1983, when my ship visited Fremantle. Spent some time with a very nice family and towards the end of the visit, the teenagers of the family asked if I had ever tried Vegemite. I said no, and they said they would fix me a sandwich to try. I talked them into just putting some on a soda cracker. I have eaten many strange things in my travels of the world, but nothing that comes close to the taste of Vegemite. Worst tasting stuff I have ever eaten. They stated the best description of the taste of Vegemite by a Yank was,"Grabs your tongue, rolls it around the inside of your mouth, then rips it out by the roof".

Happy Hapgood
09-17-2018, 10:14 PM
Guess i need to be serious
I have read quiet a lot about using Vegemite as a rub, i have tried heaps of recipes doing it as I love vegemite.
I will stick to using it on bread etc, great on crackers. Awefull on meats, just my opinion.

Yep, substituent Vegemite for Mayonnaise. Will never do it but it has it's place. :thumb:

Tatanka
09-18-2018, 12:33 AM
I was once told by an Aboriginal Elder that Vegemite tastes exactly like the sweat on the inside of a kangaroo's thigh after a 20-mile hop in 100F heat. I took his word for it!:twitch:

Vegemite reminds me of the old Alka-Seltzer ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qdfMYFl0Ic

SmokinAussie
09-18-2018, 07:05 AM
With all these stories about what Vegemite is "supposed" to taste like I'm thinking about that "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

Just wondering how much money they could raise if you had to eat a spoonful of vegemite as the challenge. There would be a few interesting expressions for sure! :icon_devil

dadsr4
09-18-2018, 09:49 AM
With all these stories about what Vegemite is "supposed" to taste like I'm thinking about that "ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

Just wondering how much money they could raise if you had to eat a spoonful of vegemite as the challenge. There would be a few interesting expressions for sure! :icon_devil
You first.:becky:

AussieMatt
09-18-2018, 12:32 PM
You first.:becky:

I'll do it, no worries!

SmokinAussie
09-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Yeah, me too.

I eat it like peanut butter because I'm an Aussie!

Just love the expressions on people's faces trying it for the first time.

PatAttack
09-18-2018, 06:38 PM
First time I tried it, I thought I was chewing on a piece of a railroad cross-tie!