PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else Untrimmed Brisket lovers? heh

willwillx
09-13-2018, 12:40 AM
I watched some professional videos back in the day and they are cutting all that buttery goodness off the brisket. I've only trimmed one before, and it turned out like crap. The rest, were untrimmed and the fat melted in your mouth like buttah!

McSpazatron
09-13-2018, 01:45 AM
I trim, but leave some fat on because I like the kind of bark that develops on fat.
For some briskets that means trimming very little. But some are so fatty, that they need to be trimmed. If not, the barks slides right off with any handling. And thatís a tragedy I like to avoid.

EyeBurnEverything
09-13-2018, 01:55 AM
Trim it, and save it. Put it on the top grate. Let it drip onto the meat below. If you were making birsket sandwiches, i would suggest adding some of that fat chopped along with the killer bark that was made by removing the fat that prevents bark from forming.

mbshop
09-13-2018, 02:27 AM
I leave mine mostly untrimmed. I leave at least a 1/4 in of fat on so not much to take off most times. I have also trimmed heavily and it was not what I wanted.

TheBBQJew
09-13-2018, 04:02 AM
I remove all of the fat cap from the point. The point meat is well marbled. The fat cap as mentioned prevents the magic chemistry from taking place between the meat, the smoke, and the rub. Bark doesnít form on fat. No protein involved. But the flat needs the fat so I trim the fat cap down to about 1/4Ē. Got to make a sacrifice there.

Rusty Kettle
09-13-2018, 05:19 AM
Other than the flat it gets heavy trimming on my briskets. The point gets cleaned up and the line of fat between the point and flat is trimmed almost completely out. I only leave enough to keep them attached.

Czarbecue
09-13-2018, 06:17 AM
I remove all of the fat cap from the point. The point meat is well marbled. The fat cap as mentioned prevents the magic chemistry from taking place between the meat, the smoke, and the rub. Bark doesnít form on fat. No protein involved. But the flat needs the fat so I trim the fat cap down to about 1/4Ē. Got to make a sacrifice there.

Bark does form on fat. Just no smoke ring.

Iím a minimal trimmer myself. Iíll cut fat if it affect aerodynamics.

jimbotx
09-13-2018, 07:48 AM
I leave more of the fat cap on if I know iím going to chop most of it up for sandwiches or to fridge/freeze some for later. Otherwise, too much will end up just sliding off if slicing for serving.

worktogthr
09-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Barely trim at all unless its a huge layer of fat. I love that melty fatty goodness. To me it is what makes brisket and pastrami so great!

Jrogers84
09-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Hard fat wont render. Its gotta go.

Czarbecue
09-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Iím sure if you wrote hot and fast and heavily trimmed on the title it would get more hits. Weíre a minority on this board.

BillN
09-13-2018, 06:27 PM
I like to trim the cap to a 1/4" and remove all/majority of the hard fat.

Happy Hapgood
09-13-2018, 06:55 PM
This is all I got:

May have to start vid over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMgt1Altys&t=66s

JEStucker
09-13-2018, 07:00 PM
All depends on the brisket...

Texas Hogger
09-13-2018, 07:04 PM
I like to get rid of the hard fat and trim the rest to about 1/4 inch.
Depending on the brisket, sometimes I don't have to trim much.

qnbiker
09-14-2018, 01:05 PM
If you trim all the fat off, you can't make the fat cap up/fat cap down decision. Which side goes down?:confused:

sickhick
09-14-2018, 07:40 PM
All the hard fat and some of the thicker areas, but minimal. And bark absolutely DOES form on fat, and I'd say the bark on fat is the best bark on a brisket.