PDA

View Full Version : Hobby or Obsession 🐖

16Adams
09-11-2018, 10:24 PM
I’ve been watching BBQ shows for several hours. 2M San Antonio, B’s Cracklin Savannah, Kentucky BBQ. Lots of hickory and oak, not much mesquite. Whole hog-Pits, real pits- steel and brick.

And then I was shook to the core. Not the heritage versus commodity pig(though that was really cool)—-but THE Question and THE answer.

Interviewer: what’s the difference between a Cook and a Pitmaster??

(Turned TV up to Max Level)

Q Joint Owner: “a pitmaster through experience can cook any meat thrown at him on his pit, A Cook goes to school to learn it”

Wife heard the loud TV and came around the corner from her TV Talent show and said “it’s no longer a hobby with you- it’s an obsession”

Damn. It’s deep in the casa tonight my Brethren.

We have a legitimate answer to The Question. I think she went to bed.

BillN
09-11-2018, 10:29 PM
My question is where are all these BBQ shows. Keep in mind I only get a few local channels, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, no cable/satellite so I may be SOL.

16Adams
09-11-2018, 10:29 PM
YouTube

KB BBQ
09-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Accept it, you will never be able to fight the addiction, just keep on doin' what you do.

qnbiker
09-11-2018, 10:37 PM
Man's got to have an obsession. I can't count how many I've had, but I always have at least one at any time. I've listed them here before, but Q is one of the only obsessions I have come back to. I guess my sig gives my other one away. OK, 16Adams, fess up. What are your other obsessions? I know you don't only have one.

wihint
09-11-2018, 11:08 PM
Brother in this game of life, we get so few minutes of joy.. enjoy what you love.
Please keep sharing.

KevinJ
09-11-2018, 11:23 PM
Obsession? I prefer to call it a passion and if you don't have a passion for something, doesn't matter what it is, you may as well be dead.

Eads Ranch
09-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Obsession? I prefer to call it a passion and if you don't have a passion for something, doesn't matter what it is, you may as well be dead.

"I'd rather die while I am living than live while I am dead" Jimmy Buffet

jermoQ
09-12-2018, 12:16 AM
Man's got to have an obsession. OK, 16Adams, fess up. What are your other obsessions? I know you don't only have one.

We already know he likes putt-putt :ear::ear:...

sudsandswine
09-12-2018, 12:32 AM
Get both :thumb:

willwillx
09-12-2018, 12:51 AM
I've always had the obsession for smoking meats since my first 40 inch MES. Now i want a off set reverse flow setup. I finally asked the wife... if i had the go ahead, and she said yeah. She probably blames herself, because her sisters a event organizer and she randomly said the other day. my sister says everyone asks when you going to come back. Whenever you get good vibes, it's always a good sign.

I do my smoking a bit different. I am a sugar free smoker, i use all the fancy expensive alternative sugars, like swerve etc... so i am diabetic friendly with my sauces, and rubs etc.. And i tell ya, people never have said they can tell the difference, they always love it.

TheBBQJew
09-12-2018, 06:42 AM
Iíve been watching BBQ shows for several hours. 2M San Antonio, Bís Cracklin Savannah, Kentucky BBQ. Lots of hickory and oak, not much mesquite. Whole hog-Pits, real pits- steel and brick.

And then I was shook to the core. Not the heritage versus commodity pig(though that was really cool)ó-but THE Question and THE answer.

Interviewer: whatís the difference between a Cook and a Pitmaster??

(Turned TV up to Max Level)

Q Joint Owner: ďa pitmaster through experience can cook any meat thrown at him on his pit, A Cook goes to school to learn itĒ

Wife heard the loud TV and came around the corner from her TV Talent show and said ďitís no longer a hobby with you- itís an obsessionĒ

Damn. Itís deep in the casa tonight my Brethren.

We have a legitimate answer to The Question. I think she went to bed.

This show? @ 3:43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dI6y8S3I90&app=desktop&persist_app=1

LordRiffenstein
09-12-2018, 07:26 AM

This, obsession has a negative sound to it.
If I could, I would play with fire every day of the week.

jimbotx
09-12-2018, 09:36 AM
My wife told me, unlike golf or cigars or some other hobby/obsession, this one benefits her, the kids, family, etc. Sounds like a green light to expand the collection to me.

WeberWho
09-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Everyone has to eat to survive. It's something we need to do everyday. Why not enjoy it and become better at it? That's the way I think anyway.

DanB
09-13-2018, 10:09 AM
I'm and NOT a pit master but more of a "thermal Engineer" then a pitmaster according to Aaron Franklin's book.

All Here is a line from Aaron Franklin's book hits the nail right on the head.

"We pitmasters are more thermal engineers that we are cooks. Igniting,coaxing,cajoling,molding,suppressing and enabling fire is the essence of our work"
DanB

BMar
09-13-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm and NOT a pit master but more of a "thermal Engineer" then a pitmaster according to Aaron Franklin's book.

All Here is a line from Aaron Franklin's book hits the nail right on the head.

"We pitmasters are more thermal engineers that we are cooks. Igniting,coaxing,cajoling,molding,suppressing and enabling fire is the essence of our work"
DanB

Love it, will definitely try to claim that as my new title when the missus says I'm being "obsessive"

Av8er
09-14-2018, 07:47 AM
I dont think it’s an obsession, only a hobby that I really freakin’ love. My wife don’t care about the money I spend on it, she knows I am not going to over do it. At least I am at home with her and the kids. I could be out running the roads, doing drugs and hitting up every bar I pass but that’s not me and it never has been me. I will just drink my beer at home while smoking my meat and lovin life.