PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on pellet cookers

16Adams
09-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Easy punch of a button simplicity
Minuscule learning curve
Clean smoke
Small cooker-frequent smaller cooks-minimal leftovers (amen)

Today I had zero plans to cook. Bride dragged me to Sam’s where they’d just stocked their pork butts. I perused the butt selection. Struck gold. A 4.3something# bone in Boston Butt.

Came home- filled pellet box with B&B hickory and punched a button. Rubbed butt with 407BBQ Rub. Really good rub lots of cracked black pepper.

Wrapped at 3.5 hours temps were 179-187

Big George's BBQ
09-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Looks excellent Your Bride has Great Ideas

Seefyre
09-10-2018, 03:41 PM
My nickname for pellet poopers is either "smokey microwave" or "smokey crock pot". To borrow a quote from the Ronco Showtime rotisserie oven, (yes, I have one) it's a true set it and forget it situation.

~Cheers

electron_si
09-10-2018, 03:42 PM
I concur. The pellet grill really takes the effort out of smoking. It’s nice to only have to worry about prepping meat and not tending to a fire.

Some day I will have a stickburner though, when I have more time to sit and watch it

Rockinar
09-10-2018, 04:26 PM
I would feel better about pellet smoker if the pellets were actually what is listed on the bag and not mystery wood and alder flavored with oils. The pellet manufacturers all seem shady and dishonest.

Why cant they just make a bag of oak pellets actually made of oak? Texas is filled with mesquite and oak, but B&B still uses flavored mystery wood. I don't know if it's a price point they are trying to meet or what.

Jorge
09-10-2018, 04:31 PM
I would feel better about pellet smoker if the pellets were actually what is listed on the bag and not mystery wood and alder flavored with oils. The pellet manufacturers all seem shady and dishonest.

Why cant they just make a bag of oak pellets actually made of oak? Texas is filled with mesquite and oak, but B&B still uses flavored mystery wood. I don't know if it's a price point they are trying to meet or what.

I had not heard that about B&B. Source? I don't doubt you, but being the internet...

captndan
09-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Try Tractor supply. They carry oak pellets for heating stoves at about half the price of others. They are pure oak.

Jorge
09-10-2018, 04:37 PM
Try Tractor supply. They carry oak pellets for heating stoves at about half the price of others. They are pure oak.

Are they food grade?

16Adams
09-10-2018, 04:39 PM
Here’s the link for B&B Pellets. I think it’s great.

https://www.bbcharcoalproducts.com/copy-of-natural-lump-charcoal

16Adams
09-10-2018, 04:49 PM
A good thread on Pellets. B&B is consistently praised.

Good stuff.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/are-all-pellets-created-equal.180686/

GVDub
09-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Hereís the link for B&B Pellets. I think itís great.

https://www.bbcharcoalproducts.com/copy-of-natural-lump-charcoal

Iím not quite sure how far to trust a product that has the main ingredient in quotes and all caps (ďOAKĒ). Just sayiní

Love B&B lump, though.

Jorge
09-10-2018, 05:04 PM
Unless something has changed, B&B is private labeled BBQers Delight product. And, again, unless something has changed the product is all natural, blending flavor woods with Oak, and in the case of Oak pellets they are 100% Oak.

If there is information to the contrary I just wanted to check out the source for myself.

16Adams
09-10-2018, 05:17 PM
Unless something has changed, B&B is private labeled BBQers Delight product. And, again, unless something has changed the product is all natural, blending flavor woods with Oak, and in the case of Oak pellets they are 100% Oak.

If there is information to the contrary I just wanted to check out the source for myself.

Agree. This is my understanding as well.

100% satisfied with B&B. While new to Pellets, Iím probably 30-40 cooks in. Maybe 50. B&B Burns great, low ash excellent aroma, clean smoke and clean cook.

smoke ninja
09-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Are they food grade?

I was reading on another forum and the term food grade wood pellets was hotly contested.

16Adams
09-10-2018, 05:38 PM
My nickname for pellet poopers is either "smokey microwave" or "smokey crock pot". To borrow a quote from the Ronco Showtime rotisserie oven, (yes, I have one) it's a true set it and forget it situation.

~Cheers

I love YouTube/PBS etc bbq Series videos etc. generations of cooks lighting fires shoveling coals whole hog etc etc. pits-offsets-steel and cinderblocks. Bricks and rods. Leather aprons and steel toed redwings.

But I can’t watch bbq shows featuring pellets. It just doesn’t hold my interest like a fire weathered pitmaster making magic smoke.

Rockinar
09-10-2018, 06:02 PM

It does not say "100% Oak". It says "Premium oak mixed with flavorwood" and says at the bottom "flavored wood pellets".

Flavor wood = Oil flavored alder.

I would say its just a handful of oak with mostly oil flavored alder.

Not sure why they cant make it 100% oak. Ii think they are just trying to meet a price point and using junk wood with flavoring keeps costs down.

http://i66.tinypic.com/28swpqc.png

16Adams
09-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Glamour shots. Not bad for an advanced beginner who had zero plans to cook today.

16Adams
09-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Flavor wood- a link

Zero mention of oil.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/usda/agib666/aib66606.pdf

jakel
09-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Pretty broad brush youíre using there, however Lumber Jack Pellets use 100% wood with their blends.

Site link (http://bbqlumberjack.com/our-pellets/)

ďDonít get confused
When we say we de-bark the red oak base material in our blends, we do this for a very specific reason. Since the smoke flavor youíre looking for and expecting is in the bark, we leave the bark on the primary wood but remove the bark from the oak wood when we produce our blends. We do this so the full rich flavor of the primary wood comes through, such as Hickory in the Hickory blend or Apple in the Apple blend. This allows us to have the strongest flavor in our blends! Blends also have lower ash content when burned since they have less bark than our 100% varieties, which are not de-barked and therefore produce a more powerful and intense flavor.Ē

There are others out there but I can vouch for LJ.......and this company https://cookinpellets.com/shop/

16Adams
09-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Did anyone even notice my cute butt??:laugh:

THoey1963
09-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Adams, I was not derailed by the pellet talk. Beautiful looking but. I like the look of that rub. Might have to give it a look...

16Adams
09-10-2018, 07:13 PM
Adams, I was not derailed by the pellet talk. Beautiful looking but. I like the look of that rub. Might have to give it a look...

Thank You, Sir

jakel
09-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Did anyone even notice my cute butt??:laugh:

Just about to compliment you on your gorgeous butt..... great job to be sure:thumb:

Please donít be butt hurt :becky:

jermoQ
09-10-2018, 07:19 PM
Adams, you have made your opinion pretty clear for the last however long since you bought the thing. Tons of pron involved in developing that opinion, too :thu:becky:mb:

Oh....and, I like your butt!

KevinJ
09-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Smoke on :thumb:

sudsandswine
09-10-2018, 08:31 PM
The best kind of cooker is one that lets you cook as much as you want to while also making food you enjoy eating :thumb:

MountainMan
09-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Boring............

Get over it !

Some of us will use pellet cookers to smoke and grill and be happy.

Can we all not coexist????

bigdog10
09-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Glamour shots. Not bad for an advanced beginner who had zero plans to cook today.

Looks awesome and delicious!!:clap2:

LordRiffenstein
09-11-2018, 08:01 AM
The butt looked so good, I would have just torn off some pieces before pulling it!

LordRiffenstein
09-11-2018, 08:05 AM
I love YouTube/PBS etc bbq Series videos etc. generations of cooks lighting fires shoveling coals whole hog etc etc. pits-offsets-steel and cinderblocks. Bricks and rods. Leather aprons and steel toed.

Allow me to sidetrack this a bit more, got any recommendations for show or YT channels? I live watching Man Fire Food.

sleebus.jones
09-11-2018, 08:10 AM
The best kind of cooker is one that lets you cook as much as you want to while also making food you enjoy eating :thumb:

Amen brother!

16Adams
09-11-2018, 08:18 AM
Allow me to sidetrack this a bit more, got any recommendations for show or YT channels? I live watching Man Fire Food.

I’ll take one of the lists that are so popular. Top 50 bbq in Texas, top 10 bbq in USA, just about anything and search Youtube. Sam Jones-Rodney Scott Aaron Franklin-Southern Living BBQ-Texas Monthly BBQ. Same Keywords in PBS.

Some videos are professional-some amateur, some are two minutes some are 30. Travel Channel has quite of few hour long bbq shows.

My Bride enjoys America’s Got talent , The Voice etc. me not so much. So I play in bbq brethren and watch videos.

Guess the only current show I’m watching is Better Call Saul.

darita
09-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Great looking butt! That was a quick butt cook. I have a MAK pellet and a Primo lump and chunks. I use both equally and enjoy both. I'd love to try a stick burner next. It's all good and all gets us to good Q.

jashas
09-11-2018, 10:43 AM
My pellet grill/smoker has been one of my best purchases...10 hr work day with a 1.5 hour commute doesn't leave much time during the week..With my pellet grill I can put a butt on at night and not have to worry about the temp swings. My family loves some smoked meat and this helps me out a ton!

gtsum
09-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Nice looking butt!

Give lumberjack a try. 100% wood varieties are quite different than mixed pellets with oil flavors. More ash produced though...

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16Adams
09-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Nice looking butt!

Give lumberjack a try. 100% wood varieties are quite different than mixed pellets with oil flavors. More ash produced though...

Memphis Elite

Thanks for compliment. Really proud of the way this cooker is working out.

https://bbqrsdelight.com/

Here is link for bbqrs delight. Plainly states no additives chemicals nor oils. A Brethren here early on, can’t recall name/said bbqrs delight used to sponsor his team and verified that B&b were same factory and rebranded. Multiple pellet sites state the same. Please provide a link that’s different info. I’m open to all knowledge on this topic.

Jorge
09-11-2018, 01:04 PM
https://bbqrsdelight.com/

Here is link for bbqrs delight. Plainly states no additives chemicals nor oils. A Brethren here early on, canít recall name/said bbqrs delight used to sponsor his team and verified that B&b were same factory and rebranded. Multiple pellet sites state the same. Please provide a link thatís different info. Iím open to all knowledge on this topic.

I just checked with Candy Weaver at BBQers Delight and she confirms 100% wood, no oils. Sorry for the continued derailment, but I didn't want to see misinformation spread about a quality product.

BTW, nice butt!

gtsum
09-11-2018, 01:09 PM
I used about 300lbs of bbq delight in between using cookin pellets and lumberjack...the latter two produced more smoke and more smoke flavor for me...especially LJ 100% hickory

Memphis Elite

16Adams
09-11-2018, 01:24 PM
I really appreciate everyone’s input. I’m going to have to try the Lumberjack.
Rave reviews.

I’ve got 100# of B&B I’m going to work through first :-)

16Adams
09-11-2018, 01:25 PM
I just checked with Candy Weaver at BBQers Delight and she confirms 100% wood, no oils. Sorry for the continued derailment, but I didn't want to see misinformation spread about a quality product.

BTW, nice butt!

Thank You Sir.

kevinstaggs
09-11-2018, 01:39 PM
I really appreciate everyoneís input. Iím going to have to try the Lumberjack.
Rave reviews.

Iíve got 100# of B&B Iím going to work through first :-)

Keep posting all those fine cooks. You go through the 100#s PDQ. Hereís a tip - low and slow only - gotta burn those pellets up. :-)

sleebus.jones
09-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Really proud of the way this cooker is working out.

It is an amazing little cooker. We've been super pleased with ours, and have lost count of the number of shoulders we've turned out on it. Does fantastic job with prime rib roast too. Not only that but with it being small it doesn't burn that many lbs/hr. You can get a long cook out of one hopper if you're running ~275į.

Bob C Cue
09-11-2018, 06:28 PM
And to think just a few years ago pellet grills were a sign of our impending doom as a civilization.

pjtexas1
09-11-2018, 06:42 PM
I really appreciate everyoneís input. Iím going to have to try the Lumberjack.
Rave reviews.

Iíve got 100# of B&B Iím going to work through first :-)

So... next week?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16Adams
09-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Brakes are being applied. Bride has a barrage of medical tests I’ve got a Jury Summons. May be whataburger and gas station sushi for several days.

BillN
09-12-2018, 12:00 AM
I can't stop thinking about your 4.3# butt...

jermoQ
09-12-2018, 12:10 AM
May be whataburger and gas station sushi for several days.

As long as those pics are at least HALF as tasty as your previous ones. I like sushi but have never tried "gas station sushi" though...:shocked::shocked: :fish:

LloydQ
09-12-2018, 07:31 AM
Hope all goes well with the Bride.

16Adams
09-12-2018, 07:46 AM
And to think just a few years ago pellet grills were a sign of our impending doom as a civilization.

Mine is a great little cooker, but I wouldn’t watch it on TV :-P

Didn’t have the honor of growing up watching my forefathers Manning pits and smoking meat. Doll flies for crappie and sand bass, Wheaties balls and Catfish Charlie/ treble hooks- lots of fish Frys. Filets sliced thin as lays potato chips.
Grilled foods. Dad told me they raised pigs growing up. They’d swap pigs with a neighbor and a man would come by and haul them to processing and smoking.

Grandad volunteered for WWII pretty late (in his late 20’s early 30’s) and was a medic in Germany. Daytimes were awesome Nightmares gripped him don’t think he was in to killing much after that. He would eat Chili steaming hot with a sleeve of crackers and a bottle of ketchup 4 times per week.

Maybe that’s what I see in the old Pitmasters- the back pages.

smokeswirl
09-14-2018, 09:56 AM
It does not say "100% Oak". It says "Premium oak mixed with flavorwood" and says at the bottom "flavored wood pellets".

Flavor wood = Oil flavored alder.

I would say its just a handful of oak with mostly oil flavored alder.

Not sure why they cant make it 100% oak. Ii think they are just trying to meet a price point and using junk wood with flavoring keeps costs down.

http://i66.tinypic.com/28swpqc.pngflavor wood means cherry, apple, hickory, etc. base wood for heat. usually oak, alder and cherry wood, real cherry wood added as flavor. not necessarily oils like trager used to do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bschoen
09-14-2018, 10:13 AM
flavor wood means cherry, apple, hickory, etc. base wood for heat. usually oak, alder and cherry wood, real cherry wood added as flavor. not necessarily oils like trager used to do.

Do you know this for a fact, or are you hoping that "100% Natural Flavored Wood" means that? If you are hoping, you are probably wrong.

electron_si
09-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Bbq’rs delight, which makes B&B pellets according to many online sources is 2/3 oak and 1/3 flavor wood. It is expressly stated on their website. The oak is for heat and the wood is for flavor.

I’ve used B&B for several years and would recommend them to anyone. The owner of the company competes on the BBQ circuit and sponsors other teams as well.

CAB980002
09-14-2018, 03:16 PM

Smoke Ring and Smokin Brothers both are only 100% what they are supposed to be!!!

Bob C Cue
09-14-2018, 03:35 PM
Smoke Ring and Smokin Brothers both are only 100% what they are supposed to be!!!

https://youtu.be/SWmQbk5h86w