PDA

View Full Version : Grilleye Pro Plus vs Smoke

GVDub
09-10-2018, 01:28 PM
Got the ThermoPro TP-08 dual probe, but it would be nice to be able to just track temperature from my phone rather than carry around an extra piece of electronics when doing a cook. Obviously the Smoke is fairly popular around here, but by the time you add the Gateway it's starting to get a little pricey, while the Grilleye Pro Plus is $99 on Amazon right now, and it'll handle up to 8 probes. Plus, I like Grilleye's all metal probe design and that it's FDA approved.

So, any particular reason to steer towards or away from either of these units? Strong feelings? Hunches? Mystical proddings from the beyond?

Enquiring minds (well, at least one) want to know.

Kevin89
09-10-2018, 01:38 PM
3 words for you... Low. Temp. Alarm.

GVDub
09-10-2018, 01:41 PM
3 words for you... Low. Temp. Alarm.

I believe both the Wi-Fi capable units have that. Heck, even the inexpensive TP-08 has it.

SmoothBoarBBQ
09-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Smoke is solid and well tested by a very large amount of people. When it comes to the Gateway I've heard a lot of people have problems getting it to work and stay connected. That could be issues with their personal wi-fi connections, but there were so many bad reviews about it that maybe it's actually the Gateway product.

I'm part of a Facebook group for the GrillaGrills brand of smokers and lots of guys have the GrillEye Plus. So far the opinions seem to be good and I haven't heard much of anything negative about it. For $100 it certainly looks like a good piece of gear and it's definitely worth a shot.

I've got the MEATER as well and I do being able to use my phone to track temps. The Bluetooth range out of a metal cooker is very poor, but if you use their Meater-Link functionality it will link to your wi-fi connection, so it works OK. Great thing is that it's waterproof so I don't have to worry about leaving it out in the rain or worry about spritzing during a cook if I needed. Those cable probes on the Smoke and just about any other thermometer are the weakest links, so not having to worry about that is pretty nice.

All in I'm a fan of the Smoke because it works and works well. The receiver is clunky and only passive, so you can't change the settings to the main unit on it, but that's only an issue if I'm being lazy. I firmly trust the probes and the readings on the Smoke just from use over the years.

Not much help here I suppose, but just my thoughts.

GVDub
09-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Thanks! Thoughts are exactly what I'm looking for.