PDA

View Full Version : brisket cook

HowardH
09-09-2018, 09:56 AM
I bought 2 small briskets (flats - 3.5#'s each) and plan on cooking on my egg at 275. How long should I plan on cooking them allowing them to rest for an hour after reaching full temp and trying to have them ready to eat by 6:30sh after the Cowboys game! Also, what do you think of coating them with yellow mustard before adding the rub? I have heard it helps keep the rub attached but doesn't impart any flavor.

Mikhail
09-09-2018, 10:06 AM
I have never had any trouble keeping rub on any meats so i don't know about the mustard.

As far as time, I'd still start pretty early. It wouldn't hurt them to rest longer than an hour.

Hoss
09-09-2018, 10:28 AM
^^^What he said^^^. It is much better and easier to hold them than to have to rush them.

Ron_L
09-09-2018, 10:28 AM
I know lots of folks use a binder like mustard, but I haven’t used it for years. Apply the rub and let it sit. The rub will draw moisture from the meat, and then the meat will draw the moisture back in, and the rub will stick.

As far as cooking time, it really depends on the cook temperature. Also, I have found that smaller cuts take more time per pound than larger cuts. I good rule of thumb is to allow 90 minute per pound at 225-is, 75 minutes per pound at 250-ish and an hour per pound at 275-ish, but each piece of meat is different, and will be done when it is done.

Nuco59
09-09-2018, 10:47 AM
I skeet a little veggie oil on mine and give it a rub- haven't used mustard in a long while. I've had no experience with trying to get rub to stick on brisket without using something. I watch the "pros" flop briskets into plastic bus pan that look like they have 5 lbs of rub mix. Theirs seems to stick ok-but that method seems to be cost prohibitive for 1 or 2 briskets.
Good luck on your cook, sir.

Mikhail
09-09-2018, 10:56 AM
And an added beauty of the longer hold is while the meat is resting you can watch the game in peace.

HOO DEY! (It's a Bengals thing. You wouldn't understand :biggrin1: )

HowardH
09-09-2018, 11:46 AM
I have noticed on the BGE the temp as registered on the gauge runs 25-30 deg hotter than the digiQ does at the grate at meat level. As a pilot, you are trained to believe your instruments and I am going to trust the DigiQ temp rather that the BGE probe.

jimbotx
09-09-2018, 11:52 AM
I think the general consensus is that mustard as a base for the rub really doesn't add any flavor profile (at least not that I've noticed). I've used both regular yellow and honey mustard - couldn't tell any difference.

Mikhail
09-09-2018, 04:09 PM
OK, Howard.... the Cowboys game is on. How are the briskets?

SMOKE FREAK
09-09-2018, 05:33 PM
If ya gotta have a glue for your rub then try Mayonnaise...The oil and egg mix make an awesome bark :clap2:

HowardH
09-09-2018, 07:19 PM
So here we are, 4 hours in the BGE with the Franklin style rub, just kosher salt and pepper, at 265 and then wrapped, put on a bed of onions at 325 for 2 more hours. OMG was it tender! No knives needed...fork just fell through it.

https://pix.sfly.com/UpfqNq

HowardH
09-09-2018, 07:21 PM
I posted a shutterfly link but it didn't show up...:confused:

Mikhail
09-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Nice! Glad it worked out well.

Ron_L
09-09-2018, 09:01 PM
I posted a shutterfly link but it didn't show up...:confused:

In order to use the IMG tags, you need a direct link to the image. Look at the techie section of the forum for step by step instruction on posting pictures from most opoular sites.

Ron_L
09-09-2018, 09:02 PM
I have noticed on the BGE the temp as registered on the gauge runs 25-30 deg hotter than the digiQ does at the grate at meat level. As a pilot, you are trained to believe your instruments and I am going to trust the DigiQ temp rather that the BGE probe.

The dome of the BGE will BGE 30-40 degrees hotter than the grate, so both are probably right :-D