PDA

View Full Version : Pork butt cook time

rob g
09-02-2018, 10:16 PM
I cooked an 8lb butt today and it took 14.75 hours to get to 203F. I found my meat probe reading 36F when I first put it on. After an hour and no change it stuck it with the thermapen to find the probe was correct and the butt still had a bit of frozen center after a couple days thawing in the fridge. It started taking off after a couple hours on the KJ. I was running about 280F most of the day except for a drop to 250F during nap time. I cooked this one in a foil pan on a rack. I didn't wrap it because I usually get better bark without wrapping. Would the foil pan extended my cook time Or was it jyst due to the frozen center? The wife was grumpy when she had Cheerios for supper at 9pm.

Westx
09-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Strange it took that long at those temps. I did 40 lbs last weekend in pans and started with and internal temp of 35*. Cooked on average at 275*. Put on at 8AM and last two finished at 2:30pm. Based on the picture and you not wrapping I think your cook temp was a lot lower than what you think. It does look really nice.

Hoss
09-02-2018, 11:17 PM
Both.If you had set the rack above the rim of the pan it would have speeded it up a little,but not a lot.The pan acted as a heat shield from the radiant heat from the bottom and the side.Starting the meat off that cold had a hand in it too.Just my humble opinion.I am sure others that know much more than me will chime in.I am just going by experience when using a rack in a pan.

rob g
09-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have to check my grate probe to see if it's working correct.

BigThicket
09-03-2018, 08:52 AM
Starting with temps that low will definitely play a big role in cook time.

longwayfromhome
09-03-2018, 01:59 PM
I just smoked two butts at over 12lbs each, started at same temp/condition as yours, cooked unwrapped on a 22” WSM for nearly 11 hours in shallow trays, one on each shelf with the water pan in but empty, at a rock solid 300F. Soaked in Oakridge Game Changer brine for 12 hours, which allowed me to pull at mid 190’s not the over 200’s I normally go to for probe like butter all over. Smoked with skin on (and down the whole time) that had been scored through to the fat. Result was terrific.

In reference to your question, I can only think thermo’s were off. Have above experience to show starting at the same temp/condition, but of course hotter. From having cooked butts regularly for last few months, I would estimate the very low starting temp only added an hour at most to the cook.