PDA

View Full Version : Fate of a cracked ceramic kamado

lunchman
09-02-2018, 05:36 PM
I could use some advice from the brethren. Some of you know that last year I replaced my Bayou Classic Cypress ceramic with the Golden's Cast Iron. The Bayou Classic had suffered a fatal lid crack.

Unfortunately it's been sitting in my backyard for nearly a year and a half and it's time to do something about it. Mrs. lunchman wants it gone even more than I do, no surprise there.

I can't and won't sell it, there's no guarantee that it can be repaired. I'd offer it up for free, but whoever takes it might want some type of reassurance that the lid can be pieced back together with some sort of ceramic cement. I kinda doubt it can, which is why I'm asking for some advice here. Bayou Classic no longer makes this kamado, there are no replacement domes available.

As I'm typing this, I'm leaning more and more towards the option of donning my safety gear and taking a sledgehammer to it, putting the pieces out in the trash and recycling the stand. Just soliciting other opinions.

OK, some pics.

Looks ok from the front (except for that chunk o' lid lying on the base) -

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/lunchman77/Grilling/20180902_181125_zpsynux0viw.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/lunchman77/media/Grilling/20180902_181125_zpsynux0viw.jpg.html)

The dome from the outside (I think there might be a slight bit of air leakage :razz: )-

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/lunchman77/Grilling/20180902_181107_zpsjavzpxfj.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/lunchman77/media/Grilling/20180902_181107_zpsjavzpxfj.jpg.html)

And from the inside -

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/lunchman77/Grilling/20180902_181142_zpsvsggsb0c.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/lunchman77/media/Grilling/20180902_181142_zpsvsggsb0c.jpg.html)

Closeup of Humpty Dumpty's broken piece -

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/lunchman77/Grilling/20180902_181042_zpsequk0j3o.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/lunchman77/media/Grilling/20180902_181042_zpsequk0j3o.jpg.html)

As a kamado, it was an o.k. cooker, not superb. It's no BGE that's for sure and probably the reason BC stopped selling them.

Thoughts?

-Dom

mcyork28
09-02-2018, 05:43 PM
I'd offer it for free. Just list the flaws. So.body might be able to make some sort of project out of it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sjb67
09-02-2018, 06:12 PM
I made a planter out of my BGE base when it cracked. Wife liked it.

mytmouz
09-02-2018, 06:14 PM
I am dealing with a health issue, so I can;t saw exactly when, but I can check on their warehouse outlet store and see if they have a lid for it. The warehouse is where the China containers come in, and they sort and box the stuff they sell. They have scratch and dent stuff in an area of the show room you can sort through. I haven't looked at the Kamado stuff, but you can put together a fryer kit pretty cheap, last time I was there...

Rockinar
09-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Disclose the details and put it up for free on Craigslist. People on there will take anything.

Dweverett
09-02-2018, 07:08 PM
I made a planter out of my BGE base when it cracked. Wife liked it.

This was my though as well. Offer it for free - someone may have a use for it you haven’t considered.

m-fine
09-02-2018, 09:01 PM
A couple pounds of FFFg black powder and about 10 feet of fuse...

guero_gordo
09-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Hercules stove cement might just stick humpty together again.
Not sure how anyone getting it for free can insist on assurances it can be fixed.
Might want to pose the question on kamadoguru.com, they're a lot more tuned in to ceramics over there.

Baychilla
09-03-2018, 07:02 AM
I'd use it as a planter or kill it. I wouldn't pass something broken along to another (free or not). I'd be too worried that they'd end up being the village idiot and hurt something or someone after having "forgotten" that the item was broken.

16Adams
09-03-2018, 07:33 AM
I see a cool beer cooler

But, I like beer

Av8er
09-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Slap that puppy back together with some of this and keep on keeping on.
No need to throw it away just for that little crack.

https://www.amazon.com/18854-Stove-Fireplace-Mortar-10-Ounce/dp/B0006MXS4C/ref=asc_df_B0006MXS4C/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167127061369&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8828558868587011940&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012962&hvtargid=pla-307130896304&psc=1

lunchman
09-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Thanks all, for the very useful insight. And thanks, @mytymouz for the offer to check out the BC factory remnants. I had called them right after it cracked; they checked their inventory and assured me there were no spare parts available as they had discontinued this grill about four years ago.

I'm leery of somebody grilling with this if it's been fixed with some toxic ceramic cement. I may put it up on my local craigslist to see if there are any takers, but I think its ultimate fate will be in pieces. It served me well for the years I used it but it's time to do some cleaning on the back deck.

-lunchman

effinUker
09-03-2018, 10:25 AM
On the night before trash day, I'd walk it out to the curb and leave it there. A scrounger or a scrapper will have it in the back of their truck before you get back to the house. Their whole life is "as-is".

TpaGreenHornet
09-03-2018, 12:56 PM
That's the truth right there. I put all sorts of things out at the curb and they are gone within a couple of hours if not minutes.

rookiedad
09-03-2018, 04:14 PM
why don't you see how a 22.5 inch weber lid fits on it? also you can use it as an open hibachi for grilling.

Dock
09-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Send the lid to the trash and buy one of these for the base.

https://carsonrodizio.com/products/kit

ChrisL
09-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Where are you in Massachusetts? I love these types of projects and will take it, "no expectations, no disappointments."

Chris

lunchman
09-03-2018, 08:09 PM
@Chris, PM sent. Consider it yours.

guero_gordo
09-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Just FTR, those stove cements are inert once cured, so no reason to fear toxicity

ChrisL
09-05-2018, 07:15 AM
Alright, had a great meeting with Dom last night and now the cooker is my problem. :) I also got to check out his Golden's cast iron cooker which was insanely impressive.

I did some research last night since it seems I have one chance to repair this properly. I like the idea of an epoxy, but assuming this smoker will hit 500-700 degrees, I think that rules out a lot of them.

My first option is just to rebuild the broken section out of refractory cement, but first that will be ugly and second I am worried that this is a high-load area of the lid.

My second choice is Rutland cement. I think I used this before to glue the fiberglass rope seal to my BGE years ago. It sticks like no one's business.

https://www.rutland.com/p/10/black-furnace-cement

I fear it may be too thick and cause alignment issues. I probably would also clean the backside and try to glue in some fiberglass mat to give it some reinforcement.

I really liked this kiln repair video and the liquidy glue they used, but I am afraid it will not stick to ceramic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpUedqtHr8I

I am not sure how a regular refractory cement will work since it is so thick and will cause alignment issues.

I will keep everyone updated with my progress, any other suggestions?

Chris

lunchman
09-05-2018, 07:36 AM
Chris, good to meet you last night. Good luck with the repair. If the cooker gets to see another life that would be great. Or it might serve as a nice planter.

I'm glad to have shown off the Golden's. Somehow I still think I might be the only member here who owns one, but that's ok. One thing about it, it'll never suffer the same fate as the BC. In 500 years somebody will still be grilling on it.

-Dom

BGWolf
09-05-2018, 09:20 AM
PL Premium or other high temp glue may work.

m-fine
09-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Maybe grind down both sides for better contact and to make room for the cement?

dadsr4
09-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Maybe grind down both sides for better contact and to make room for the cement?
What I was going to post. Any cement needs some thickness to form a proper bond, and to allow for a good alignment. Taking your time, a course grinding stone or two in an electric drill should do the job, a Dremel tool would be be more precise.

Big George's BBQ
09-05-2018, 01:13 PM
I believe swamprb did a repair Check out his posts or PM him

ChrisL
09-05-2018, 02:14 PM
After speaking with Rutland and the Kiln folks and not getting a warm and fuzzy, I am going to try the following:

1. Piece back together with JB Weld original since it is safe to 550 degrees.
2. Sand the inside down to bare ceramic and then coat with drywall fiberglass tape wetted down with refractory cement.

Chris

Larry S
09-05-2018, 04:05 PM
I can't believe this thread has gone this long and nobody has suggested JB Weld. That's the go to for repairing clay and ceramic cookers. I have a 1960ish Japanese kamado. It's clay,and had many cracks and a few brakes. I repaired it all with JB Weld. That was 10 years ago.

dadsr4
09-05-2018, 04:55 PM
After speaking with Rutland and the Kiln folks and not getting a warm and fuzzy, I am going to try the following:

1. Piece back together with JB Weld original since it is safe to 550 degrees.
2. Sand the inside down to bare ceramic and then coat with drywall fiberglass tape wetted down with refractory cement.

Chris
I'd clean the surfaces well with brake cleaner or acetone, and, since JB Weld has some thickness to it, rough up the mating surfaces first.

EdF
09-06-2018, 11:30 AM
I can't believe this thread has gone this long and nobody has suggested JB Weld. That's the go to for repairing clay and ceramic cookers. I have a 1960ish Japanese kamado. It's clay,and had many cracks and a few brakes. I repaired it all with JB Weld. That was 10 years ago.

I was trying to remember what I used to put parts of the BGE together after the roofers dropped a ladder on it. JB Weld it was, for the lid and the cap. 2006 and still running.

ChrisL
09-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Ed:

Did you rough up the pieces at all or just fit them together? Since the rim of the dome is broken under the hinge band, I am a little worried about it cracking when I install the band.

To that point, I am thinking about jb welding the dome and tightening the band while it is still "wet"

Chris

Zak
09-06-2018, 03:00 PM
What about "water glass"? I read about it when i needed to research the combustion chamber kit for my boiler and they use this to bond the chamber parts to the cast iron boiler surface. If it can withstand a boiler it may survive on a smoker. Lynn makes the kits.

ChrisL
09-06-2018, 03:11 PM
What about "water glass"? I read about it when i needed to research the combustion chamber kit for my boiler and they use this to bond the chamber parts to the cast iron boiler surface. If it can withstand a boiler it may survive on a smoker. Lynn makes the kits.

Looks interesting, but apparently, it is water soluble.

Thanks,
Chris

dadsr4
09-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Ed:

Did you rough up the pieces at all or just fit them together? Since the rim of the dome is broken under the hinge band, I am a little worried about it cracking when I install the band.

To that point, I am thinking about jb welding the dome and tightening the band while it is still "wet"

Chris
Parts repaired with JB Weld will creep if they are clamped too tight. Maybe just tighten enough to line things up and watch it for a little while, just in case.

EdF
09-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Ed:

Chris

I just fit them together. I don't think roughing them up would do anything but help the bond, though.

dadsr4
09-07-2018, 02:00 PM
I just fit them together. I don't think roughing them up would do anything but help the bond, though.
Cleaning all grease from the bonding surfaces is important.

cookingdude555
09-07-2018, 05:59 PM
See if the dome of tour egg would swap out? It’s possible it might fit. Bands could be an issue at that point tho. And the egg dome could be cost prohibitive.

Joe6Pack74
09-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Fire clay, made aluminum melting furnaces out of those. You can mold it and it cures hard.

ChrisL
09-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Wish me luck fellas! It went together really nicely and uneventfully.

I think my next phase is to grind the inside of the dome with a 36 grit sanding disc and cover it with 3/16" of an inch of refractory cement and wallboard fiberglass tape. I also noticed that the base has a crack in it as well, so that will get the same refractory cement treatment.

Chris

dadsr4
09-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Just a question, based on looking at the pictures. What prevents you from rotating the lid so the hinge is at a location that was never broken? Who cares if the thermometer is off center, if it would take the strain off? Should cook the same.

Monte Cristo
09-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Looking good!

ChrisL
09-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Just a question, based on looking at the pictures. What prevents you from rotating the lid so the hinge is at a location that was never broken? Who cares if the thermometer is off center, if it would take the strain off? Should cook the same.

Honestly, that is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I feel pretty good about the support of the band though and may just put it back together the original way. I will figure out more once the epoxy drys and I apply the cement. I am thinking about using this cement.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Durst-Furnace-Cement/3455644

Chris

dadsr4
09-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Honestly, that is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I feel pretty good about the support of the band though and may just put it back together the original way. I will figure out more once the epoxy drys and I apply the cement. I am thinking about using this cement.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Durst-Furnace-Cement/3455644

Chris
To my way of thinking, the more dissimilar materials you add, with different rates of expansion and contraction, the more chance of cracking. If JB Weld is good enough for Big Green Eggs, it should do well for you. I would rotate, if it were me.

lunchman
09-09-2018, 07:32 AM
Lookin' good Chris! As I mentioned to you, keep in mind as you reassemble that what I believe was the reason for the crack was the lid wasn't closing evenly from left to right. There was a gap on the left side. Had I realized it soon enough, the hinge mechanism somehow became misaligned, placing stress on the lid. I'd make sure the hinge axle is straight and everything works properly and smoothly before reinstall. I'd hate to see all your hard work turn into another cracked lid.

I never knew there was a crack in the base.

As mentioned, fwiw, these Bayou Classics suffered from fire ring cracks, which this one surely did in its first few months of use. I contacted BC, they told me they were redesigning the fire ring to include an intentional split in it for expansion/contraction. It took them a few weeks before it was ready but they did cover it under warranty. It worked as expected and has held up since 2010 or 2011 when it was installed.

-Dom

tjv
09-09-2018, 10:10 AM
I hope it works. t

-Chris-
09-09-2018, 05:14 PM
To my way of thinking, the more dissimilar materials you add, with different rates of expansion and contraction, the more chance of cracking. If JB Weld is good enough for Big Green Eggs, it should do well for you. I would rotate, if it were me.

Hmm, my thought was to apply the refractory cement to shield the JB weld from the heat. JB Weld is only good to 550 degrees then it turns to dust apparently.

I am still on the fence around rotating the dome 90 degrees, it may be a game time decision.

Dom, thanks for the feedback on the hinge, I see what you are talking about, not sure how to fix that yet.

Yeah, the base is almost cracked all the way across, I am on a plane, but will take a photo when I get home. I think that is an easy fix with the refractory cement as it is not a stressed area.

While this smoker is better looking than a BGE IMO, the build quality is way-way off.

Thanks,
Chris

Larry S
09-10-2018, 06:16 PM
I disagree with the JB Weld 550 degree thing. I've had my JB Weld repaired kamado over 750 making pizza with no problem.

ChrisL
09-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Ok, back from my trip so back to the repair. I first used a 36 grit sanding disc to grind the smoke and creosote off the smoker. I embedded some fiberglass tape used to repair wallboard to hopefully stiffen the repair. I also cleanly ground down the top and bottom rims of the cooker. I was careful to maximize contact and grind down any high spots along the repair area. The refractory cement spread easily. I feel good having a layer of cement over the JB weld as the folks at JB Weld said it starts breaking down at 550 degrees. That being said, my old BGE dome never reached 550 degrees on the outside even when cooking pizzas.

Dom, I took a look at the hinge, it seems like the left bracket was bent. I bent it back using a wrench.

Not sure how long the cement needs to dry, I may try putting it together tomorrow morning and try burning it in.

Chris

Big George's BBQ
09-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Nice work

lunchman
09-13-2018, 07:22 PM
Nice work, Chris. It'll be good if you can get this cooker up and running once more. It's no BGE, but it's a decent unit and should work ok. If not, you gave it the old college try with minimal investment.

As I had mentioned to Chris when he picked it up, the original stainless steel grate no longer fit into the grill after a few months use. It's as if the grate got larger or the grill got smaller. Bayou Classic sent a replacement which fit for a while and then the same darn thing happened. I never figured out why and it's quite unusual. Does a SS grate expand in diameter?

That's why I bought the Craycort grate which is now in my refurbed Weber kettle. At least Chris has the elevated SS grate which fits fine and brings the grilling level up even with the gasket.

Eujamfh
09-13-2018, 09:31 PM
Great!

kenthanson
09-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Thank God, I read the first page and was furious that you were going to smash this piece of art! Good on you for trying to repair it.

ChrisL
09-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Well, I am going to declare 90% success. I ran the smoker today for a few hours at 240 degrees and then for a few more hours at 450 degrees. As you can see from the photo, a patch on the right side lifted away from the underside of the dome and I broke it off. The main part of the repair held tightly. Not sure if I am going to patch that side again or just leave it alone. The dome sealed tightly to the base.

I need to fabricate a plate for my BBQ guru and then see how it operates on a long smoke.

Chris

dadsr4
09-14-2018, 09:05 PM
Well, I am going to declare 90% success. I ran the smoker today for a few hours at 240 degrees and then for a few more hours at 450 degrees. As you can see from the photo, a patch on the right side lifted away from the underside of the dome and I broke it off. The main part of the repair held tightly. Not sure if I am going to patch that side again or just leave it alone. The dome sealed tightly to the base.

I need to fabricate a plate for my BBQ guru and then see how it operates on a long smoke.

Chris
Based on my experience with JB Weld, I kind of expected that.

ChrisL
09-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Well, I have a few cooks under my belt and am happy to say it looks like the repair will hold. I soldered the following adapter for my BBQ guru. In case anyone is wondering, a 1.25" brass sink drain pipe from Lowes is the perfect diameter for the BBQ guru fan.

I am going to order some stainless steel rod to build a plate setter as this one did not come with a heat diffuser.

The refractory cement is now holding strong, I must not have ground down the area that lifted well enough and the grease caused it to lift. I will probably not repair the section that lifted since the JB Weld is holding so well.

Chris

lunchman
09-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Good to see the Bayou Classic live another life. Nice job on the repair Chris.

ChrisL
10-04-2018, 10:00 PM
Well, the refractory cement is totally useless. It pulled clean away tonight. The JB Weld seems to be holding very well though. I have left it outside uncovered and it was pretty obvious that there is moisture under the refractory cement. I either need to get a cover or store it inside.

I welded up a plate setter tonight to raise the grate to grill level and to give me a place to place a stone for indirect smoking. I am far from a stainless welding expert, but I think it came out pretty good. I also welded on some handles to be able to replenish the smoking wood during a cook.

Lunchman, this is one of the grates you gave me, I just cut a 1/2" section out of the grate and then welded it back together. For some reason, the lower half of the cooker is undersized. The upper dome is probably 1/2" wider in diameter. That is why the wire grates would not fit.

Chris

Big George's BBQ
10-05-2018, 12:25 PM
nice work looks great You will love this cooker

lunchman
10-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Nice mod, Chris. I'm glad those extra oversized grates are being put to good use.

-Dom

Titch
10-05-2018, 05:07 PM
never mind

ChrisL
10-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Thanks again Dom, it has been a fun project!

Nice mod, Chris. I'm glad those extra oversized grates are being put to good use.

-Dom