PDA

View Full Version : Help Me, Brethren.

WilliamKY
08-31-2018, 06:03 PM
I got this pig roast on Sunday. I have no experience with split wood in this offset cooker so I'm planning to use Royal Oak lump in the firebox with some hickory chunks. The pig weighs in at 32.7lbs. Will the lump suffice or should I get split (I can get it if needed)? Any other advice is most certainly welcome too. Thanks.

Joshw
08-31-2018, 06:17 PM
Never used charcoal in my offset, other than getting a good coal bed started. I think you would have to go through a lot of charcoal to cook a whole pig. I would get splits. Start your charcoal as you planned, and throw a split or two on. Once you get your temp where you want it, throw a split on, as the others burn out, just enough to maintain temps.. Good Luck!

ronbrad62
08-31-2018, 07:00 PM
I can't offer any better advice than Josh. I tried to use a stickburner as a charcoal smoker before I learned better on the Brethren. You will fight the battle all day to keep temps up, so get some splits and let them do the work. You can get bundles at Academy, if one is nearby.

WilliamKY
08-31-2018, 07:16 PM
I can't offer any better advice than Josh. I tried to use a stickburner as a charcoal smoker before I learned better on the Brethren. You will fight the battle all day to keep temps up, so get some splits and let them do the work. You can get bundles at Academy, if one is nearby.
The Walmart near my house sells bags of Western brand splits. I never see them move though so I'm hoping a closeout sale is soon and I will load up.

Joshw
08-31-2018, 07:22 PM
The Walmart near my house sells bags of Western brand splits. I never see them move though so I'm hoping a closeout sale is soon and I will load up.

I would checkout craigslist for someone selling firewood. You can probably get a rick for what you will pay for a few bags at the store.

Smoke Dawg
08-31-2018, 08:07 PM
There has to be oak in KY. You could even burn old Bourbon barrels

Westx
08-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Those bags at Walmart are kiln dried and will burn up real quick. Try to find some seasoned around you somewhere. Your only looking at about a 4 to 6 hour cook on a hog that small.

WilliamKY
08-31-2018, 08:31 PM
There has to be oak in KY. You could even burn old Bourbon barrels
Oak is a common wood here it's just the timing. I work tomorrow and cooking Sunday morning. I was thinking charcoal so I didn't plan on gathering split wood. This is a learning curve, I will have plenty of seasoned split next time. I still prefer hickory over oak though.

Rockinar
08-31-2018, 10:59 PM
Oak is a common wood here it's just the timing. I work tomorrow and cooking Sunday morning. I was thinking charcoal so I didn't plan on gathering split wood. This is a learning curve, I will have plenty of seasoned split next time. I still prefer hickory over oak though.

Good thing about kiln dried wood is it will burn even. You won't be fighting with wood that might not be cured. Might be the way to go at the start. I keep some kiln dried wood around for when I have issues with greener wood, I toss some kiln dried on and keep going.

Joe Black
09-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Pre-heat your splits on top of the FB. It will ignite much quicker resulting in more even heat and cleaner smoke. By all means, get some seasoned firewood. There must be folks in your area that heat with wood. Find a firewood yard and get a good start.

Good luck and enjoy a good wood fire.

aerotech11
09-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Splits. You are going to run through ALOT of charcoal

Mikhail
09-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Wish you were just a little closer - I'd come help you!

Fishhook
09-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Of course it is all subjective to personal taste, but if you haven't done a whole hog before you might want to go 50/50 with the oak/hickory. Hickory has (as you know) a very distinctive taste, and can get over bearing pretty easily.

riverratdave
09-04-2018, 10:56 AM

William, I have plenty of split, seasoned oak and hickory. Let me know if you are needing some and we can fix you up.

Just had another 75' shag bark come down in the storm last month so, there's plenty more where that came from. The bad thing was I had a nice deer stand attached to it that's now history.:pray: