PDA

View Full Version : Tried to change my wife's view of lamb chops

Kanco Connection
08-30-2018, 02:33 PM
Yeah, she's not a fan of 'em. I like lamb but don't get to cook it too often since it's not popular with anyone in the house except me. So, I grilled some loin chops and tried to make them as great as possible to start changing her mind.

Marinated in a fairly classic lamb marinade paste of fresh rosemary, mint, basil, oregano, EVOO, lemon, red wine vinegar, garlic, S&P. Also went with a rosemary-lemon vinaigrette asparagus.

https://i.imgur.com/x9LwGDwl.jpg

Thick enough for a reverse sear, so went low (225) on the kettle with hickory until about 110*. Only took about 25 minutes. Just starting to get a little color...

https://i.imgur.com/rHxgZ4dl.jpg

Then seared using GrillGrates. Seared for about 90 seconds per side.

https://i.imgur.com/Jd6kKI3h.jpg

Plated. Got the beautiful medium rare lamb I was shooting for.

https://i.imgur.com/S52bPkNh.jpg

Best lamb I've ever cooked. Wife was impressed--still prefers a cheeseburger, but I'm making progress. Thanks for checking it out.

longwayfromhome
08-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Try some well done for your wife, as med-rare holds the strong lamb flavour probably too much for the non-fans.

I also notice the “tails” have been cut off the chops. Even if cut off they are a treat when well grilled as the crunchy layers of fat and chewy meat combine beautifully with seasoning like Montreal Steak Seasoning. Non-slimming.

Bonewagon
08-30-2018, 03:03 PM
Good lookin' lamb chops. :thumb:

Stingerhook
08-30-2018, 03:20 PM
Great looking cook.

R2Egg2Q
08-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Looks great! Glad to hear you’re making progress with the Mrs on eating lamb. :eusa_clap

MisterChrister
08-30-2018, 03:37 PM
I would crush those! You'll convert her yet, lamb is the finest thing on 4 legs, and yours looks AMAZING!

dadsr4
08-30-2018, 04:06 PM
I cook things that my wife likes, and some goes into the freezer.

I cook things that she doesn't like, and she eats things from the freezer.
It all works out in the end.

Fishhook
08-30-2018, 04:21 PM
One thing you might consider....I was "encouraged" to lamb growing up. My grandparents being basically totally Norwegian believed that "mutton" was lamb (yes, technically it is, like an old dairy cow is "beef" ) I hated that stuff and avoided it at all costs. Fast forward 20 years. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place at a friends house and had to "eat lamb"....that sh** was GREAT! I quizzed him to no end! But the truth was mostly just the age. I have had a bunch since (I really like discovering new flavors and it was awesome! ) But the point being there is a vast difference in flavor with the age of the lamb (alive)

Titch
08-30-2018, 04:25 PM
I sure would be into that, like Ralph said ,leave the tails on
Looks very nicely cooked mate

sickhick
08-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Man that looks good! Love lamb.

SmokinAussie
08-30-2018, 08:57 PM
A really excellent effort.

Ditto regarding the tails... but here's the thing. Have noticed these mid loin chops sell in our Costco with the tails already removed. I refuse to buy them that way, as I consider this the best part, but you might not have a choice. The other thing is that the tails are really fatty and maybe if you serve that up to your wife it might not be the best idea afterall.

In regards to Lonwayfromhomes comment... no, please don't overcook lamb like this in any way. That's usually why people don't like it very much. Your solution to bring your wife into the fold is to make her a lamb burger with a bit of pork fat in the minced lamb and again... make sure it's juicy.

Outstanding cooking. Where's my invitation to dinner????:becky:

Kanco Connection
08-30-2018, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys! I'm going to have to admit something....what are tails on lamb chops? I can't envision it. And yes, Costco chops.

ShadowDriver
08-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Yes, please! Those look lovely.

ssv3
08-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Next time you just invite me over. I'll pick up everyone's slack. :becky: Heck of a job Kanco! Looks outstanding. :clap2:

BillN
08-30-2018, 10:27 PM
Yup I would choose those chops any day over cheese burger and just to be clear I do love cheese burgers.

Titch
08-31-2018, 02:02 AM
Thanks guys! I'm going to have to admit something....what are tails on lamb chops? I can't envision it. And yes, Costco chops.

That little tail is Decadent.
Interesting to what Bill said, I love Costco chops and did not notice the tail was missing until now.
Great chops here though, thick and Tasty

nsbbqguy
08-31-2018, 06:28 AM
Your lamb chops look great! I love them grilled and then make up a whole made mint sauce with mint from the garden. Can’t beat it! Looks like you nailed it!

KevinJ
08-31-2018, 08:01 AM
Looks fantastic, my wife won't eat lamb, so I never cook it. :tsk:

EricD
08-31-2018, 08:32 AM
I'm with your wife, not a fan of lamb. Great looking cook though!
It's that gamey taste that turns me off. I've heard that if you soak Deer meat in milk before grilling it kills the gamey flavor. Anyone know if that will work for lamb too?

Big George's BBQ
08-31-2018, 09:28 AM
That ;lamb looks excellent It is hard to turn down a good cheeseburger

Sevengoals
08-31-2018, 12:19 PM
They look great!
Super!

SmokinAussie
09-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Here's another pic..

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-raw-lamb-loin-chops-with-fat-around-the-meat-isolated-over-white-background-101964576.html

You can see the tails are quite fatty. But fat is flavour!

cowgirl
09-01-2018, 05:37 PM
I love lamb. Looks delicious!!

Titch
09-01-2018, 05:51 PM
I'm with your wife, not a fan of lamb. Great looking cook though!
It's that gamey taste that turns me off. I've heard that if you soak Deer meat in milk before grilling it kills the gamey flavor. Anyone know if that will work for lamb too?

Yes, or yoghurt:thumb:

Gore
09-01-2018, 06:53 PM
If you have a Costco membership, you might also try the lamb rib roast they have. We have taken to buying that and slicing them between the bones into individual chops. It's quite a bit more expensive than the little t-bones, but my family likes them much better.

mchar69
09-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Yeah I respectfully agree - do NOT OVERCOOK.
Just did 4 chops today - they were different sizes -
so I placed thme around the heat, monitored the temp and got them off at about 118.
Perfect. They sat on a plate for 10 minutes while I finished a huge bone in split breast for sandwiches. You buy sliced chicken / turkey in a store?
ALL salt and preservatives.

Then I got the charcoal even hotter and threw on the lamb for the Mailliard and
max was 134 ish, most less. Delicious and moist.
LAMB SHOULD BE RARE OR MEDIUM RARE, same as Venison.
Otherwise, it's a hockey puck.

mchar69
09-01-2018, 07:20 PM
If you have a Costco membership, you might also try the lamb rib roast they have. We have taken to buying that and slicing them between the bones into individual chops. It's quite a bit more expensive than the little t-bones, but my family likes them much better.
I've Eyed them, but have not bought them yet.. how do you cook the sliced chops?

Can't take long!

Smoking Piney
09-01-2018, 07:36 PM
I would CRUSH those chops! :thumb:

Kanco Connection
09-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the kudos! And the advice! At least it was good enough to let me cook more for her before too long!

Mikhail
09-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Great job, Kanco. Lamb is just the best when cooked right.