PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question time... Has anyone ever used a weedburner to sear

Royalslover
08-29-2018, 10:51 PM
I've been wondering about this for the last couple days. What if you cooked/smoked a chop or a steak to the correct doneness and then hit it with a weed burner for a flash sear? Has anyone done this before? I think I'm going to try it with some pork chops tomorrow night.

Joshw
08-29-2018, 11:05 PM
People use searzalls and torches to sear sous vide steaks all the time, so it would probably work. Only problem I could see, is if it doesn't burn clean enough, you might get a propane taste.

TheBBQJew
08-30-2018, 12:01 AM
It’s much more appropriate to heat up a cast iron pan and seer that son-of-a-biatch than it is to resort to yard equipment! :biggrin1:

aerotech11
08-30-2018, 12:50 AM
Vortex in a kettle sear anything you want

SmokinAussie
08-30-2018, 03:48 AM
In my humble opinion, this is a technique you reserve for use when someone (most likely a mother in law etc.) complains the steak they are eating is not done to their liking although you know it is perfect medium or medium rare and has been sufficiently rested, treated with love and respect...

You take the steak, you get out the weedburner (Like John Goodman getting ready to kill spiders in Arachnaphobia). You fire that steak to a crisp and slam it back down on the table in front of them.

"Satisfied?" You say.:shock:

Mission accomplished. :mrgreen:

keeperofsecrets
08-30-2018, 04:09 AM
I saw it used to put a crunch to a pork shank on an episode of Carnival Eats.

m-fine
08-30-2018, 05:35 AM
Yes, it actually works extremely well. The Sous Vide Everything guys (YouTube) tested a bunch of searing methods, and a weed burner torch was one of their favorites.

m-fine
08-30-2018, 05:37 AM
It’s much more appropriate to heat up a cast iron pan and seer that son-of-a-biatch than it is to resort to yard equipment! :biggrin1:

The pan works great to get an even sear on a flat shape. A torch does a better job on uneven shapes.

Swine Spectator
08-30-2018, 05:43 AM

Ever heard of hoe cakes?

Hoss
08-30-2018, 05:52 AM
I have used one to sear a standing rib roast and to crisp up the skin on a picnic shoulder.It did a great job.Just be careful to not overdo it.

EyeBurnEverything
08-30-2018, 07:31 AM
I use our weed burner to glaze hams.

Czarbecue
08-30-2018, 07:33 AM
I bought a butane torch for searing things indoors. Very handy and I don’t need to break out the propane tank.

sudsandswine
08-30-2018, 07:42 AM
I bought a weed burner to light my smoker and it's rated for 100K BTU's. Given the way it scorches weeds around the yard (nuclear apocalypse), I think it would be really easy to overdo it and burn the meat. I have a searzall as well, and I never really use it. Really the only place it beats a cast iron pan is being able to sear objects that aren't flat. Either scorching hot cast iron or 700*+ ceramic grill is my go-to if I happen to SV something and need to give it a sear. That being said, I do still plan to try a sear with the weed burner sometime, but it'll have to be an extra thick steak IMO.

Beentown
08-30-2018, 09:43 AM
I do it all the time. I SV cook quite a bit and in order of finishing methods...

Wood fire
Charcoal (usually a chimney started with grate)
Weed burner
Cast iron

JohnH12
08-30-2018, 02:22 PM
In my humble opinion, this is a technique you reserve for use when someone (most likely a mother in law etc.) complains the steak they are eating is not done to their liking although you know it is perfect medium or medium rare and has been sufficiently rested, treated with love and respect...

You take the steak, you get out the weedburner (Like John Goodman getting ready to kill spiders in Arachnaphobia). You fire that steak to a crisp and slam it back down on the table in front of them.

"Satisfied?" You say.:shock:

Mission accomplished. :mrgreen:

I love it!!!!
I try to do "burn your own" when doing steaks for several people but some refuse to do it then bitch about my cooking method.
I'll definitely try your method next time.

SmokinJohn
08-30-2018, 04:18 PM
It sounds gangster. Let's see the video!

m-fine
08-30-2018, 07:54 PM
It sounds gangster. Let's see the video!

https://youtu.be/4Be7E0gcNTA

https://youtu.be/W8r2OxJ8kOI

There are several more

Royalslover
08-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Well, mission accomplished and it turned out like Apollo 13. Burned but didn't quite crash. I cut a loin into a 5/8" chop and cooked it at 300 in the oven until it reached 142. then I hit it with the burner. I don't feel like I over did it at all but it still had more of a burnt taste than a good sear taste. It also wasn't super tender. Perhaps I got to close with the flame. At any rate I will stick with my normal routine which is to cut them fairly thin (1/2") and just cook them on the blackstone.