PDA

View Full Version : Yeti cooler clone opinions?

lastmajordude
08-28-2018, 09:00 AM
I am one to NEVER spend a huge amount on a ice cooler, BUTTTT......getting sick and tired of going to store and icing down food and finally get home discovering it is turned into a floating mess. The Mississippi heat is all and more you read about. Is there a CHEAPER yeti clone that will do the job??.....Iíll hang up and listen.....

Pedro7
08-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Rtic

bschoen
08-28-2018, 09:06 AM
I can't help with the yeti clone, I have never paid more than $100 for a cooler, that was a 150 Igloo I used when I went deep sea fishing.

I can tell you that using block ice will last you far longer than cubes. Seems that finding block ice is getting harder though.

LTG
08-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Rtic is very popular. I use Frosty Coolers for competition use. No complaints. 15% coupon if you sign up too.

The Lifetime 55 that is $98 at walmart has been getting pretty good reviews as well.

stckciv
08-28-2018, 09:15 AM
I think the big thing with any cooler is to pre cool it. I have a couple of cheap coolers and will always put frozen water bottles in it a couple days before I need it and change them out daily until I fill for camp trip.

crpngdth2001
08-28-2018, 09:19 AM
RTIC. Right now they have 25% off with code FB25 and Free Shipping over $100.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/

GVDub
08-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Monoprice. Haven't tried their coolers yet, but I've had great luck with their molded camera, microphone and cable cases. They look to be Yeti clones.

Here's the 25L one (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15638)

sudsandswine
08-28-2018, 10:33 AM
The Ozark Trail coolers at Walmart are probably some of the lowest priced of those style coolers. I've not handled one so I can't really comment on build quality but I'd have to think that to a degree, the performance of the coolers are just a matter of how thick/how much insulation they have. You probably don't need one of the "Yeti style" coolers if we're just talking about trips home from the store to keep meat cold though.

I use large Coleman Xtreme coolers for hauling larger quantities of meat home, or for taking some place like a competition where the time I need to keep things cold is 2 days or less. Longer and I might just throw some new ice in if I'm in a place with access to it (i.e. not remote wilderness). They're cheap, but more importantly, they're pretty light empty. The big insulated coolers weigh 30lbs+ empty and even more the larger you go, obviously. Throw some ice in there along with some meat and they're kinda of unwieldy for one person IMO. If we're talking about 3/4/5+ days with little access to ice, then it would change things for me.

I owned a Pelican hard cooler and I thought the quality on it was nice - they've gone up in price a bit since I bought mine. Very heavy and it limited how often I wanted to use it and rarely did I have the need for its level of insulation (like keeping some beers cold for the afternoon, my most common use case). I have a Yeti Hopper 30 now that I use pretty often, it's light, compact enough to throw in the back seat, and keeps ice for a couple days. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I didn't get 30% off, though.

cholloway
08-28-2018, 10:35 AM
I have 3 RTIC coolers of different sizes and think they're great.
Half the $$$ of Yeti.

BigThicket
08-28-2018, 10:44 AM
I have 2 RTIC coolers and highly recommend them.

mattmountz94
08-28-2018, 11:11 AM
I have a bison which i really like. But honestly yes it does a better job but not worth it in my opinion. The key is getting the cooler cold ahead of time and putting cold food in. Not to mention those buggers are heavy when full.

Shagbark
08-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Canít help with any particular brand but itís amazing what a quilt or heavy blanket folded and draped over the cooler will do.
Works wonders even with the el-cheapo coolers we use.

Dock
08-28-2018, 11:29 AM
I have the RTIC soft side 30, awesome cooler. I also have a dozen or so tumblers, I dont really care for the new lids with the flip top but its not really that big of a deal. If you decide to splurge on tumblers just go with the stainless, I have a few colored ones and if your hard on them like me the paint will chip.

Thingfish
08-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Rtic

I have roto-molded and soft coolers from R-tic .. 100% satisfied. The rotos do get heavy (like Yeti) when full.

dgaddis1
08-28-2018, 12:04 PM
How far away from the store do you live?? Does your car not have air conditioning?

Honestly I can't imagine a cheap Igloo hard cooler from Wal-Mart wouldn't do the trick. Obviously whatever cooler you use, don't leave it in the car all day and then go to the grocery store and fill it with cold meat. At that point, regardless of brand, it's a very effective heater.

SmittyJonz
08-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Ozark Trail or Lifetime from Walmart. Rtic. Kodi from HEB.

lastmajordude
08-28-2018, 12:55 PM
How far away from the store do you live?? Does your car not have air conditioning?

Honestly I can't imagine a cheap Igloo hard cooler from Wal-Mart wouldn't do the trick. Obviously whatever cooler you use, don't leave it in the car all day and then go to the grocery store and fill it with cold meat. At that point, regardless of brand, it's a very effective heater.

I have pickup which the bed is black liner......that is where she rides....

dgaddis1
08-28-2018, 01:29 PM
I have pickup which the bed is black liner......that is where she rides....

Well anything sitting in the bed is gonna be HAF as the kids say.

Pig_Farmer
08-28-2018, 01:30 PM
I have an Ozark Trail 52qt and it holds ice great. Been on vacation now for 2 weeks in MO and have added about 3 bags of ice the whole time. It's my beer cooler so it's being opened all of the time. Key is a cold inside prior to icing things down.

Nuco59
08-28-2018, 03:38 PM
If you had ice when you got home- partially melted or not- what would you do with it.

However cheap your cooler, if the ice lasts as long as you need it to- what does it matter ?

I'd like to have a roto molded cooler- but if I NEEDED one, I'd have one (after studying the lower costs options of course)

blake
08-28-2018, 06:33 PM
Freeze half-gallon size old milk jugs or 2-liter soda jugs. They will stay frozen, even outside a cooler. Most igloo/coleman style coolers have little to no insulation in the lid. Spray foam into the gaps in the lid or keep it covered in a tarp or blanket will significantly increase the ice longevity. Or make an interior lid from foam board. Light color cooler will stay colder in bright sunlight too, so stay from dark green, blue, red etc.

The thick-walled, heavy, rotomoulded coolers are overkill unless you need multiple days of continuous use, say 4+, IMO. Many brands---Orion (domestically made), Bison, Grizzly, Pelican, RTIC, Engel, Orca, Canyon, KONG, Siberian, K2, Icehole, Yukon, Frostbite, Icey-Tek,

Hoss
08-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Another vote for the Wal-Mart Ozark Trail.I keep one in my truckbed.I have been VERY pleased.If some A-hole cuts the chain and steals it,it won't break the bank to replace it.It has been VERY durable.

Happy Hapgood
08-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Agree with the above. Also a reflective blanket or at least light colored.

I was gifted a Yeti 65 for my 20 employ with company. When it's full it takes 2 men and a small boy to move it but it's great to leave in the SUV and the temp gets to around 140*F in direct sunlight. The light colored blanket works. 6 days with 4 - 5 opens a day are not a problem.

Going to give the frozen milk jugs a try next trip.

aerotech11
08-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Haven’t seen Canyon coolers mentioned yet. Great coolers about half price of a Yeti.

GK02
08-28-2018, 09:15 PM
The lifetime cooler is pretty unbelievable for $100 compared to a yeti or even rtic especially because the lifetime is made in the USA.

My neighbor kept ice for 9 days in one of his this summer on a camping trip. I was really surprised.

SmittyJonz
08-28-2018, 10:10 PM
This One is Way Cheaper than Many. :shock:........Must Suck.?

https://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Outdoor-Insulated-Fishing-Hunting/dp/B073LYRZ5Z/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1535511876&sr=8-2&keywords=Giantex%2Bcooler&dpID=412iBrfs%252BeL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

SmittyJonz
08-28-2018, 10:41 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUJmfipkoY

Rob96
08-29-2018, 02:26 AM
The Coleman Coastal Extremes are insulated likevthe "premium"coolers, just not grizz proof. All sides including the lid is insulated.

cfi1234
08-29-2018, 03:26 AM
I use an RTIC and it has been great...holds ice all week!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SmoothBoarBBQ
08-29-2018, 04:24 AM
A similar video has already been posted, but here's another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPXhi7psQUE

YETI is so overpriced that it's approaching margins similar to perfumes. I have an Igloo cooler that I use everyday out here in the hot Carolina sun (probably similar conditions to you) and it does just fine. I fill it with 50-75 Gatorades, waters, etc for a lunch service and I go through about 10Lbs of ice each day. Mind you all the drinks are warm when I put them in the cooler, so that top up each day is really just to cool the warm drinks.

My cooler lives in the bed of my truck with a steel bed liner, so it gets pretty hot as well. It spend about 3 hours on the asphalt during lunch service, and then back on the truck bed. You can certainly spend a lot of money on a new / trendy cooler, but the results are only going to be marginally better (if at all).

lantern
08-29-2018, 07:10 AM
I was going to recommend a soft cooler like my Polar Bear H2O coolers, but I see you use it in the back of your truck. Hard cooler for sure there.

I wouldn't recommend Yeti. They are a "lifestyle" cooler and are stolen out of the back of trucks at a higher rate than any other cooler all while failing to give the insulating power advantage that their price would suggest.

The Coleman Xtreme 5 series coolers will serve you well for a fraction of the price. HOWEVER, I suggest getting cooler shock ice packs instead of ice. And cooling your cooler down before loading it up makes a massive difference.

pjtexas1
08-29-2018, 08:00 AM
I was going to recommend a soft cooler like my Polar Bear H2O coolers, but I see you use it in the back of your truck. Hard cooler for sure there.

I wouldn't recommend Yeti. They are a "lifestyle" cooler and are stolen out of the back of trucks at a higher rate than any other cooler all while failing to give the insulating power advantage that their price would suggest.

The Coleman Xtreme 5 series coolers will serve you well for a fraction of the price. HOWEVER, I suggest getting cooler shock ice packs instead of ice. And cooling your cooler down before loading it up makes a massive difference.

I second the Coleman xtreme. 2 days, maybe 3 but that's all i need and it has wheels and doesn't weigh a ton.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bonewagon
08-29-2018, 09:44 AM
I'm another happy Rtic owner. I've got an Rtic 45 that I've been impressed with.

Whisky
08-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Rtic

Beer/Meat/Victory
08-29-2018, 09:48 AM
I second the Coleman xtreme. 2 days, maybe 3 but that's all i need and it has wheels and doesn't weigh a ton.

Third on that. Have the 120qt version. I had a memorial day party, open and closed all day for beer. Forgot to empty it post party, and still had ice cold beer the following weekend.

bradyw79
08-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Like everyone here has said the Rtic coolers are great. I have 3 of them and think they are worth every penny!!

WeberWho
08-29-2018, 10:21 AM
I had a friend text the other day saying he can get 40% off Yeti merchandise. 2 cooler's a year. I sent him back the RTIC website link! :laugh:

RTIC all the way for price. I have the 65. It's a beast. I really wish it had wheels. The only negative really for that size cooler.

SmokerKing
08-29-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm seriously looking at the Canyon coolers.

LTG
08-29-2018, 12:01 PM
I just picked up the Lifetime one from walmart on lunch. I will test it out this weekend. I have 2 of the large coleman xtremes. They are cheap but the lids are their downfall. Too flimsy.

Pedro7
08-29-2018, 02:24 PM
Third on that. Have the 120qt version. I had a memorial day party, open and closed all day for beer. Forgot to empty it post party, and still had ice cold beer the following weekend.

Also use a coleman extreme. It is a good cooler and probably can keep things cold for the five days as advertised in normal conditions and you don't open it much. But, ice will be gone within 3. It's a good day drinking/party cooler. Definitely a notch above your standard coleman or igloo and can keep the ice for a day with opening and closing a lot.

However, we've done some competitions with roto-molded coolers and a coleman extreme on some hot summer days. The Coleman definitely struggled to keep up and we found ourselves buying ice within 24 hours for it. We have a Yeti and a Cabelas roto-molded and I couldn't believe how good both of them were. Neither needed ice over the almost two days...not even close honestly.

The 25% off RTIC is tempting me hard right now.

kfdvm
08-29-2018, 06:10 PM
Cables brand is good. I agree with pre cool with block ice first then put cold food in with frozen milk jugs.

Happy Hapgood
08-29-2018, 07:28 PM
And then there was the little tiff between Yeti and the NRA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHJCCBkZ1xU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImSfjiM5ydg

I'm not going to blow up my high $$$ Yeti gifted to me from my company for 20 years of service but I can't wait for my next NRA sticker to cover the name.

Sid Post
08-29-2018, 08:24 PM
I'm a big fan of the Pelican roto-molded coolers. Prechilled stuff on ice will last about 4 days in a locked car in a parking lost with ambient outside temperatures in the low 90's.

The new Igloo and Sam's Club roto-mold coolers are a bit cheaper and work just about as well at a lower price point.

The main thing though is prechilling everything, otherwise, your 'hot' beer and soda will melt a lot of ice.

12ring
08-29-2018, 08:39 PM
I have been researching and researching coolers in the 45qt range. I wanted a cooler for all our kids weekend tournaments. It needed to be big enough to carry water, Gatorade, sodas, cut watermelon and have a basket to keep some snacks or sandwiches dry. I liked the price of the Cabela’s brand cooler but it was just to bulky. I liked the Yeti size way better but had a hard time shelling out $300. After seeing the Rtic reviews and seeing the 25% off code, I pulled the trigger on a Rtic 45 with basket. Free shipping and the total was $149.23. I ordered it last night and it will be here Friday. Can’t wait because my son has a tournament this weekend and then next weekend I’ll be in the mountains calling in elk for a few kids Archery hunt.

vicdog
08-29-2018, 09:10 PM
I have a 20 oz grizzly. I find it is too small to hold enough ice to last very long. I keep it under the cover of my pickup in Texas, so it doesn't stand a chance. A 50qt Coleman lasts much longer with five times the ice.

D-Fuse
08-29-2018, 09:48 PM
I have a pelican. It works just as good as my brothers yeti. Plus it has plastic snaps instead of the rubber latches that yeti uses. Like people said before pre chilling them helps alot and keeping them out of the sun if possible helps. Also keep them closed and latched as much as possible.

70monte
08-29-2018, 10:17 PM
I have two Pelican coolers, a 45 qrt and a 20 qrt. They both work very good and were cheaper than Yeti.

Sillius Sodus
08-29-2018, 10:51 PM
I won a Yeti 65 at work a month and a half back and just went camping for three days at the beach with it. The heat was almost unbearable, but I wanted to test it out against a wheeled Coleman Xtreme cooler that I have. The ice keeping ability if the Coleman was not even comparable to the Yeti in any way, shape, or form.

I went with my wife and daughter. Constant whining from them about the heat aside, both coolers were filled with food items, drinks, two 10 lb bags of ice each, and two frozen large Tea’s Tea bottles each. Both coolers were kept in the back of my truck (one locked to the bed with a Deny locking system and the other with a simple security cable lock) the whole time not covered with any blanket or tarp or other covering.

It’s total BS to think/believe that a cooler won’t be opened many times a day. So, given all of the natural opening and closing for drinks and food, the Coleman had turned to complete water by the middle of day two. Cold? Yes, but zero ice particles. The two Tea’s Tea bottles were somewhat melted. The Yeti had retained about a little less than half of its ice by the time we left on the afternoon of the third day and the two Tea’s Tea bottles were still frozen solid.

It wasn’t even a competition between the two coolers.

Now, while I signed a “prize and misc income report” for $349 for the Yeti, would I pay that much for one? Probably not. But I would seriously look at something in the RTIC line. There really is a difference between the roto-molded coolers and everyone else; don’t believe the manufacturer’s overblown website hype about being comparable to Yeti et al and certainly take some of these stories posted previously in this thread not just with a grain, but with a bag of salt.

My Coleman Xtreme is a great grocery store/farmer’s market cooler, but when I want to really keep things cool for an extended period of time, I’ll be using the Yeti...

pjtexas1
08-30-2018, 06:20 AM
^^^ perfect example of the difference between roto and a regular "decent" cooler. 2 days max and i think that is what the op is needing. I take my xtreme to the Texas Bashes and it works great for that day and it has ice the next day. But don't count on much more and it could never hold ice for 5 days.

lastmajordude
08-30-2018, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys....like i said I have used cheap coolers and they don’t work in truck or in bed for me. I think for the price and use for me I’m leaning on the LIFETIME55 or the Ritc......again thanks of all the info!!

SmokerKing
08-30-2018, 10:35 AM
Ordered a 45 hard side and a 30 soft side, thanks crpngdth2001 for the discount info!

Pedro7
08-30-2018, 03:12 PM
Also ordered a tan RTIC 65 yesterday with the 25% discount code. It will be here tomorrow :)

lastmajordude
08-31-2018, 07:59 AM
Just ordered the mid size Ritc hard tail ....Thanks guys...my subscription to this “joint” actually paid for itself twice!!....

SmokerKing
09-29-2018, 08:11 AM
Since I travel with my hands full most of the time, I decided to fabricate a wheel kit for my new RTIC, waiting for powdercoat;

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/iO9uw5.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/MphoUF.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/YbewSb.jpg

Texmex01
09-29-2018, 09:34 AM
I have a 45 Yeti, its great, but the Rtics are made in the same factory neighborhood in China, to the same specs, and are sold for half the price.

I keep a work cooler (Igloo) in the bed of my work truck to keep waters for construction crewson jobsites I visit, after several attempts at keeping ice all day in the brutal Houston heat, I purchased 4 of these : https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/igloo-maxcold-large-freezer-block#repChildCatid=25873

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/academy/10088807?wid=1200

I put them in the 4 corners of the cooler, pour a bag of ice on top, then place an unopened bag of ice on top, and even on 100+ degree days, it held ice for 2 days...:clap2:

KingRanch450
09-29-2018, 10:25 AM
Yeti is way ridiculous on their prices. RTIC

Seefyre
09-29-2018, 01:00 PM
The group I fish Alaska with uses the Cabela's clone. It wasn't hot but our frozen food stayed frozen the entire week until we defrosted it. Very solid build quality.

luckycaribou
09-30-2018, 12:57 PM
The FB25 promo code must have expired. Was gonna pull the trigger on the soft sided 40 but got all the way to confirm the order and it wouldn't apply the discount.

Pedro7
10-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Put the RTIC 65 to use this weekend and loved it. It fits full sized pans easily which was a game changer compared to our smaller Yeti and colemans.

mtm29575
10-01-2018, 01:15 PM
I have the Ozark Mountain 'Yeti Clone' also, and couldn't be more pleased. IMHO, you can't beat the OM for the price, and as someone else mentioned, if you lose/damage it, you don't feel you're out a fortune.

tunnelengineer
10-03-2018, 08:19 AM
I've had many of them and at this time still have 10 coolers (hard sided) in my basement, and 4-5 soft sided of various sizes.

The coleman's and igloos work fine, but are 2 day coolers at best. Something breaks on them every 1-2 years, or they crack from being dropped, etc. I use them all the time. If it's for a party today, or even to last through mid-day tomorrow for beers and drinks, amen to the igloos.
Bring em on. That's their sweet spot.

Now when it comes to competitions and my $300 in meat has to be packed on thursday morning and inspected friday or even saturday (for sunday comps), they go in the Yeti's. Had a contest a couple weeks back where I packed the yeti on wednesday night, put frozen chicken thighs in. Come saturday night the chicken was still frozen. Had to leave it out to defrost overnight sitting in a pan on some ice packs.

The Yetis have never failed either. No broken latches, hinges, etc. I've got an RTIC the tae way. Nothing broken on it either. Can't say the same for any coleman or igloo coolers I own though.

When it comes to protecting expensive meats, and you don't want to spend $30 every week on additional ice, the Yeti's pay for themselves over time.

If you have a KCBS membership you can be on the Yeti prostaff. It gets you a pretty healthy discount. It doesn't get them to the RTIC price, but close enough that I don't sweat spending the extra $40 over the RTICs at that point.

Dr. Trout Bum
10-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Monoprice. Haven't tried their coolers yet, but I've had great luck with their molded camera, microphone and cable cases. They look to be Yeti clones.

Here's the 25L one (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15638)

Thanks for posting that. I've been looking for a case for my monolights for location portraits and this place may have what I'm looking for.

Pedro7
10-03-2018, 09:55 AM

If you have a KCBS membership you can be on the Yeti prostaff. It gets you a pretty healthy discount. It doesn't get them to the RTIC price, but close enough that I don't sweat spending the extra $40 over the RTICs at that point.

Cool, just submitted my app for the Pro Staff.

SideSt3p
10-03-2018, 10:46 AM
Wow! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Orca!! https://orcacoolers.com/

They cost a little bit more than an Rtic, but baby they're still made in the USA!! They also have crazy flash sales via Instagram and stuff with free shipping all the time. Check em out, I love mine.

Gringoloco
10-03-2018, 03:07 PM
I have a Cabelas and a Cold Bastard I bought on ebay. I love it!! Does a great job!! Definitely worth looking at!!

pharp
10-03-2018, 05:27 PM
I love my K2's. I have a 20, 30, 40 and 2 70's. I use the Artic Ice "Chillin Brew" in the bottom of all my coolers. They are designed to freeze at 28F and work awesome. This pic is at a contest. You can't tell but the thermapen is not touching the ice block it is in the air.

I prechilled the cooler Wednesday, packed it on Wednesday night and that pick was taken when I was packing up from a comp on Sunday night.

https://i.imgur.com/5wwMfuRl.jpg