PDA

View Full Version : Vortex wings question

ClintHTX
08-25-2018, 12:39 PM
I made my own vortex with a stainless steel bowl. I tried it a few times and had mixed results. One time they came out crispy. The best I have ever made. But I think I’m not starting it right. How do you guys start off? Do you light a chimney worth of charcoal or do you light a few and put them on top of unlit charcoal? Amy additional tips I need to know?

Schmoke
08-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Light a chimney's worth, then dump the hot coals into your vortex.

Bklmt2000
08-25-2018, 12:48 PM

This is what I do, too.

dadsr4
Light a full chimney, then dump the lit coals into your vortex. Also, orient the thickest portion of the meat towards the center.

Moose

This is what I do, too.

Yep, same here. They come out great every time.

ShadowDriver
08-25-2018, 03:50 PM
I guess I've been doin' it wrong. :noidea:

I always put the charcoal in the vortex and use my garden torch in several spots to get those ripping. I give it 15 min or so, and the rest of the charcoal is usually cranked up by then.

WilliamKY
08-25-2018, 03:54 PM
I fill my vortex with charcoal and place a wax cube in the center. Vents wide open, lid off. light it and go prepare the wings. 20-30 mins and I have a blistering fire.

Bklmt2000
08-25-2018, 04:12 PM
I guess I've been doin' it wrong. :noidea:

I always put the charcoal in the vortex and use my garden torch in several spots to get those ripping. I give it 15 min or so, and the rest of the charcoal is usually cranked up by then.

I wouldn't say you're doing it wrong at all.

I think the main point is that for grilling wings, to get all of the charcoal needed for a cook lit and going at the same time, vs. dumping some lit coals onto unlit ones.

How the charcoal gets started (with a chimney, or in a vortex itself), doesn't really matter, IMO.

Springram
08-25-2018, 04:16 PM
I fill my vortex with charcoal and place a wax cube in the center. Vents wide open, lid off. light it and go prepare the wings. 20-30 mins and I have a blistering fire.

That is the ticket! I use two wax cubes. I have also used my Mapp torch and lit the top but the cubes works a little faster, I think..... maybe :grin:

Norm
08-25-2018, 07:33 PM
I use starter cubes too. Seems like when I use my small weber chimney I dump too many outside of the vortex.

Jcmhc
08-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Do you all keep all the vents wide open, or keep the Temps around 400?

Springram
08-25-2018, 11:15 PM
I go full throttle :grin:

DanB
08-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Hi All Can the Vortex work on a WSM 22"?
Thanks DanB

Kevin89
08-26-2018, 07:44 AM
Hi All Can the Vortex work on a WSM 22"?
Thanks DanB

I don't see why not. May not get the same effect as its use on the kettle, but it'll provide heat nonetheless

Smoker34
08-26-2018, 08:31 AM
I've been making wings in my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill with some success using the Weber baskets. My only wish is that I could get the wings a little crispier without burning them. I recently bought a Weber 26-inch kettle and also picked up the Vortex. I've tried the Vortex three times now in the 26-incher and I seem to be the only one who is not at all impressed. I put a full chimney of blazing hot coals into the Vortex and let the cook chamber heat up with all the vents open. The wings essentially come out the same as they do without the Vortex, that is, they could still use some crisp. I don't get it.

RC0032
08-26-2018, 08:34 AM
how do you DYI the Vortex?

Kevin89
08-26-2018, 08:54 AM
I've been making wings in my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill with some success using the Weber baskets. My only wish is that I could get the wings a little crispier without burning them. I recently bought a Weber 26-inch kettle and also picked up the Vortex. I've tried the Vortex three times now in the 26-incher and I seem to be the only one who is not at all impressed. I put a full chimney of blazing hot coals into the Vortex and let the cook chamber heat up with all the vents open. The wings essentially come out the same as they do without the Vortex, that is, they could still use some crisp. I don't get it.

Did you follow the instructions that came with it? I've gotten consistent results every time I use mine. Bottom vent 1/3 open, top full open. Rotate lid every 15 mins.

dadsr4
08-26-2018, 08:59 AM
For me, the big advantages of a vortex type cook are getting to use more of the cooking grate to cook on, plus most of the food finishes at the same time.

70monte
08-27-2018, 08:09 AM
I use a lit full chimney dumped in the Vortex. Top and bottom vents fully opened. I use a Weber gourmet grate with the removable center. I cook for about 40 minutes, do not flip the wings, and the skin is very crispy.

This is the easiest way I have found to cook wings and the only way I cook them any more.

Here is my setup and the results from two different cooks.
https://i.imgur.com/fTFMcayl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sdvLfn1l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hU64h1yl.jpg

jimbotx
08-27-2018, 09:19 AM
I use a Weber gourmet grate with the removable center.
Do need to have that or think it makes a difference? I don't have a vortex, so I can't tell if you need the opening for clearance.

70monte
08-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Do need to have that or think it makes a difference? I don't have a vortex, so I can't tell if you need the opening for clearance.

No, you don't need that grate for clearance. The vortex fits under the regular grate just fine.

I have just read many reports that over time, the intense heat will warp the middle of the cooking grate so I just use this grate to prevent that from happening.

Texas409
08-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Will the Vortex mess up the bottom portion of your grill eventually due to the extreme heat? That's my only concern using it regularly. I use it on an Old Smokey and have it resting on top of a charcoal grate that the Old Smokey uses.

https://www.oldsmokey.com/collections/parts/products/addon-grates-grills?variant=412977937

dadsr4
08-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Will the Vortex mess up the bottom portion of your grill eventually due to the extreme heat? That's my only concern using it regularly.
The heat rises, so I wouldn't think so. I've piled coals up on the side of my 1979 kettle and the newer one for decades with no effect. Even with the grates, all you have to do is keep them oiled and they will last.

70monte
08-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Will the Vortex mess up the bottom portion of your grill eventually due to the extreme heat? That's my only concern using it regularly. I use it on an Old Smokey and have it resting on top of a charcoal grate that the Old Smokey uses.

https://www.oldsmokey.com/collections/parts/products/addon-grates-grills?variant=412977937

I doubt it since most of the heat is going up. I will tell you that when I was using it on my 2007 Performer, it did start to melt the plastic handle on the lid and is one of the reasons that when I saw the OTS that you see in my photo above on clearance for $25, I jumped on it. Even with the built in heat deflector on the new lids, the handle gets too hot to touch with your bare hands. If anything gets damaged from the heat, it will be the middle of the lid though I have not seen signs of that yet.