PDA

View Full Version : Chimichurri sauce is my nemesis!

KingRanch450
08-25-2018, 10:46 AM
I know this isn't Q but we all love other food. This is my 5th try at chimichurri and it's kicking my arse! I can't seem to get that restaurant quality. I didn't have this much trouble mastering brisket....it's just a dang sauce!! Any of you guys have a recipe or the secret....this can't be that dang hard!!!!

Seefyre
08-25-2018, 12:47 PM
I make chimi all the time, my family loves it. Understand that chimichurri differs by region so there are many, many takes on the base recipe. I loved the one I had in Argentina on a skirt steak so I try for that.

This makes a full cereal bowl size of sauce. I chop 1-1 1/2 heads of italian parsley. Add very finely chopped shallot or red onion to taste. Float in enough extra virgin olive oil to have the parley and onion move freely. The better quality olive oil you use, the better the sauce will be. Next use the vinigarette rule of thumb for the red wine vinegar-4 parts oil, 1 part acid. I eye it, then tinker it to taste. Add some dried oregano, black pepper and salt. Optional for a little red pepper flake.

~Cheers

robert-r
08-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Moose posted a good one a while back.

charcoalwilly
08-25-2018, 12:50 PM
I know what you mean Kingranch. Stephen Raichlen is my go to for any international-type rubs or sauces. The biggest modifications we have made over the years are 50/50 split between parsley and cilantro (instead of 100% parsley). The other change is to fry or roast the garlic and onion beforehand. Gives it rich flavor while taking some of the edge off the raw garlic. Would not meet seal of approval from Argentina but works for us!

gtr
08-25-2018, 02:52 PM
I'll have to dig it up a little later, but Francis Mallmann has a great chimichurri recipe in his book "Seven Fires". The whole book is fanfarkingtastic.

sleebus.jones
08-25-2018, 02:56 PM
I believe this is Moose's:

Chimichurri
One bunch fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 red wine vinegar
3 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
bay leaves
In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and mix well, but do not puree. Pour into a glass jar or container, cover, then let sit for at least 4 hours before serving or refrigerate overnight. Always serve at room temperature.

Moose
08-25-2018, 03:02 PM
I believe this is Moose's:

Yep, that's what The Missus makes. Love Chimichurri on sammiches made from leftover Tri-Tip:

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae286/Pashn8one/Tri%20Tip%20Sammich%204%2026%202017/4%2026%2017%20Tri%20Tip%20Sammich%206_zps885kr6wi. jpg

pmad
08-25-2018, 05:09 PM
I do something similar to Moose's, but I always use a tsp of honey.

gtr
08-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Found Francis Mallman's recipe online:

http://nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/58057/

I cut the garlic amount in half - the full amount is way too much for me. Best to make a day ahead.

jdtTX
08-25-2018, 09:13 PM
i like mine rough chopped and oily. dont really use specific amounts, but eyeball it and taste along the way until its where I want it. wife likes it smooth, so i'll do it in the food processor sometimes. again, just taste as you're going until its close. gets much better if you cover it and give it some time in the fridge to come together.

WhitesideJC
08-25-2018, 09:18 PM
+1 for the mallman recipe. Also hand chopping takes longer but yields a significantly better flavor.

blake
08-25-2018, 09:38 PM
I prefer flat leaf over curly parsley. I also find that a couple hours rest is better.

Bacchus2b
08-25-2018, 09:44 PM
I make chimi all the time, my family loves it. Understand that chimichurri differs by region so there are many, many takes on the base recipe. I loved the one I had in Argentina on a skirt steak so I try for that.

This makes a full cereal bowl size of sauce. I chop 1-1 1/2 heads of italian parsley. Add very finely chopped shallot or red onion to taste. Float in enough extra virgin olive oil to have the parley and onion move freely. The better quality olive oil you use, the better the sauce will be. Next use the vinigarette rule of thumb for the red wine vinegar-4 parts oil, 1 part acid. I eye it, then tinker it to taste. Add some dried oregano, black pepper and salt. Optional for a little red pepper flake.

~Cheers

Mine is very similar to this except I add finely minced garlic and I really prefer chopped fresh Oregano to dry Oregano. I like these hand chopped vs trying to make it in a blender can emulsify the whole thing into green paste.

KingRanch450
08-26-2018, 07:01 AM
Thanks to all for the advice. Rest was the key....I let this batch rest for several hours and the difference was night and day!

LYU370
08-26-2018, 08:38 AM
Yep, I've noticed if I use it right away, the raw garlic is overpowering.

OferL
08-26-2018, 08:52 AM
This thread goes right into my recipe bookmarks.