PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose one...

SyraQue
08-24-2018, 08:03 AM
If you had to choose one widely available commercial BBQ sauce, what would it be?

For me, and I'm talking drunk, 2 a.m., must have protein solution.....I'm going Rufus Teague touch of heat.

Texas409
08-24-2018, 08:17 AM
The market is so saturated with sauces which has made me not a fan of any one particular sauce in general. But I just tried some Eat BBQ sauce recently made by Rod Gray and it wasn't bad. So my recency bias goes towards that sauce at this moment.

sudsandswine
08-24-2018, 08:23 AM
I wasn't sure how widely EAT Barbecue sauces are distributed nationally, so my initial answer was Rufus Teague Touch o Heat as well, but I'd give the nod to EAT Barbecue if that's considered "widely available commercial sauce".

JohnH12
08-24-2018, 08:30 AM
Lately my go to is Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet 'n Spicy. Available just about any where that I've been.
Sometimes I'll get Walmart Regular and soup it up with something to add some heat.
I also thin any store bought sauce with vinegar because I don't like 'em so thick.

Mike Twangzer
08-24-2018, 08:34 AM
I like to do a little Bulls Eye with some SBR and red wine vinegar.

Brad4450
08-24-2018, 08:35 AM
If I'm feeling lazy or in a hurry and not making my own sauce I'll go with regular sweet baby rays and jazz it up with whatever I'm feeling that day. I also don't mind Stubbs if I'm in a pinch.

sniperfx
08-24-2018, 08:46 AM
SBR for sure! You can doctor it up very quickly to make any flavor profile you like.

greenmountainsmoke
08-24-2018, 08:48 AM
Just came across SBR Maple. Love it, though we are pretty partial to that flavor in this neck of the woods.

Pedro7
08-24-2018, 08:50 AM
I like Head Country as my everyday sauce. Rufus Teague makes some good ones too.

mcyork28
08-24-2018, 09:07 AM
Head Country.

ChrisBarb
08-24-2018, 09:09 AM
The Heinz series of bbq sauces is pretty good. I like the Carolina vinegar one for pulled pork.

Big George's BBQ
08-24-2018, 09:35 AM
My family likes Blue Hog

Westx
08-24-2018, 10:20 AM
We keep SBR on hand all the time since you can get it anywhere and do what you want with it, but my go to is Swamp Boys regular with some more Boot Leg Red added to it.

WilliamKY
08-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Good'ol Chicken 'N' Ribs. Tastes good, readily available, and cheap. I keep a bottle around in a pinch. I've grown to like the thinner sauces over the thick stuff.

cosmicslop54
08-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Stubbs Original. I like that it isn't sweet.

hurricanedavid
08-24-2018, 12:05 PM
Sweet Baby Rays.

IamMadMan
08-24-2018, 12:56 PM
I used to like the Blue's Hog Champion Blend, but now I have been using Yes Dear Championship Sauce. By far the best sauce I have ever had.

Right on Q
08-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Either Blues Hog Smokey Mountain or Head Country.

Maybe a mixture of both perhaps??:-P

dadsr4
08-24-2018, 01:42 PM
We don't sauce much, but we keeps some around for when we get the urge. It's Stubbs Original if I'm buying or Sweet Baby Rays if my wife is. The posts about Yes Dear are intriguing, I'll pick some up if I see it.

EyeBurnEverything
08-24-2018, 01:45 PM
I really like Blues Hog but its not widely available and i have to order it by the gallon on Amazon.

But if we are talking of a bbq sauce that can be found in every grocery store across the US then it would have to be Bullseye Original. Mainly because its the bbq sauce that is used in a copycat KFC honey bbq wing sauce recipe that is practically spot on. And it can be doctored up to make a really good bbq sauce for ribs.

Decoy205
08-24-2018, 02:57 PM
I like head country and I agree some of the Heinz sauces aren’t bad.

Hoss
08-24-2018, 08:22 PM
There is a local joint here called Coleman's BBQ.They started in the late 60's ,early '70's. A local guy worked for Loeb's BBQ in Memphis just long enough to learn the trade and went out on his own.He OWNED It for several years.Sold franchises,had refridegerated trucks hauling meat all over the Southeast.Hit a LICK!. Chartered planes to Vegas with suitcases full of cash(seriously).There are two original Coleman's BBQ joints left now and their sauce is KILLER!I have been searching for a "copycat" of that sauce for years.I finally figured out that they use Blue Plate BBQ sauce and then add something.I am in search of that "something"! Best, BY FAR ,that I have ever tasted.For now,I just buy it a quart at a time.

robert-r
08-24-2018, 09:34 PM
Rufus Teague here. Touch of Heat or Honey Sweet.

There are other RT sauces that I haven't tried. Just used the ones locally available.

Actually... not really a sauce person.

NYC ‘Que
08-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Trader Joe’s, KC Masterpiece, or Bullseye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lomey
08-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Cow Town or Sweet Baby Ray's. There's also a local bbq joint called The Woodyard here that has a couple of bbq sauces. I really like their spicy one.

SlickRockStones
08-25-2018, 03:58 AM
Sonny’s Sweet for Bunny. Always on hand and at Sams. $5 for a jug. I like it too. Blues Hog Original but only online or Ace Hardware at $9 for small jar. Thanks to BPS free ship specials, it eases the pain. Stubbs Original for beef cause its not sweet.

IamMadMan
08-25-2018, 05:59 AM
We don't sauce much, but we keeps some around for when we get the urge. It's Stubbs Original if I'm buying or Sweet Baby Rays if my wife is. The posts about Yes Dear are intriguing, I'll pick some up if I see it.

I too, have never sauced much, probably because most sauce is overpowering and masks the natural flavors of the meat. In fact I still mainly serve the sauce on the side with a few exceptions when I cook. Then I found that not all commercial sauces are created equal, some are extremely superior to others. How you ask? Instead of having overpowering flavors that mask the meat; they have milder flavors that simply compliment the natural flavors of the meat, allowing it to remain the star of the show in flavor-town.

Yes Dear is a Georgia based product, so you won't find it locally unless you live in Georgia. But it is available through the Atlanta BBQ Store website.
https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/collections/bbqsauces?page=4

They have 3 products;

Red Sauce, a nice thinner sauce, not overly sweet with a little extra tang from the vinegar. I was never a fan of tomato/ketchup based sauces, but while it has some tomato, the other ingredients balance it very well.

Yellow Sauce, Not really yellow, more of a brown. I'm sure they call it yellow because of the mustard base. It's a well balanced sweet sauce that is great on pork or chicken. I like to coat my nearly finished pork chops and let it thicken like a glaze, my friends, my neighbors, and my family rave about this because it is so different. It is slightly sweeter than the red sauce, so it pairs well with chicken and pork that does well with a little sweetness.

Competition Sauce, A new product release for Yes Dear. I tried it last year in the final stages of Beta Testing. My only word was WOW! They are currently creating the label for this sauce so it might not be available yet, but ask them before you finalize your order.

I used to blend Blue's Hog sauces like most do to achieve a greater and more balanced sauce. Then Blue's Hog started selling the Competition Blend that save me all the effort of buying multiple products and weighing them out to create a similar sauce. Then I tried the Yes Dear Competition Sauce, it's truly the winner for me.

Lastly for those who talk about Blue's Hog Sauces and Head Country Sauces..... Big Poppa Smokers currently has FREE SHIPPING in preparation for Labor Day cookouts, perfect time to try some new sauces, or stock up on the regulars without the harsh cost of shipping that could normally break the purchase.

ncmoose
08-25-2018, 06:07 AM
Blues Hog Tennessee Red for pulled pork. I don't think mine is an improvement.

JEStucker
08-25-2018, 06:59 AM
Not a sauce fan, but if it's in the house, usually it's been purchased by my wife, she tends to bring home KC Masterpiece Original or Sweet Baby Rays...
I don't sauce while cooking, I make people taste and decide if they want sauce to accent the meat/rub/smoke flavor...

LloydQ
08-25-2018, 08:01 AM
If you are talking a sauce straight from the bottle to the meat, I like Stubb's Sweet Heat. If it is sauce I want to doctor up a bit, Cattleman's Original is my choice because it is cheap and not overly sweet.

scp
08-25-2018, 08:10 AM
I have using a lot of Head Country lately.

My wife is a sweet kinda person...I am a tangy kinda person and HC hits us in the middle.

Q_Done_Right
08-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Now that I make my own at home, nothing commercially tastes good or appeals to me anymore. I simply make large batches so I always have enough on hand.

dadsr4
08-25-2018, 08:31 AM
I too, have never sauced much, probably because most sauce is overpowering and masks the natural flavors of the meat. In fact I still mainly serve the sauce on the side with a few exceptions when I cook. Then I found that not all commercial sauces are created equal, some are extremely superior to others. How you ask? Instead of having overpowering flavors that mask the meat; they have milder flavors that simply compliment the natural flavors of the meat, allowing it to remain the star of the show in flavor-town.

Yes Dear is a Georgia based product, so you won't find it locally unless you live in Georgia. But it is available through the Atlanta BBQ Store website.
https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/collections/bbqsauces?page=4

They have 3 products;

Red Sauce, a nice thinner sauce, not overly sweet with a little extra tang from the vinegar. I was never a fan of tomato/ketchup based sauces, but while it has some tomato, the other ingredients balance it very well.

Yellow Sauce, Not really yellow, more of a brown. I'm sure they call it yellow because of the mustard base. It's a well balanced sweet sauce that is great on pork or chicken. I like to coat my nearly finished pork chops and let it thicken like a glaze, my friends, my neighbors, and my family rave about this because it is so different. It is slightly sweeter than the red sauce, so it pairs well with chicken and pork that does well with a little sweetness.

Competition Sauce, A new product release for Yes Dear. I tried it last year in the final stages of Beta Testing. My only word was WOW! They are currently creating the label for this sauce so it might not be available yet, but ask them before you finalize your order.

I used to blend Blue's Hog sauces like most do to achieve a greater and more balanced sauce. Then Blue's Hog started selling the Competition Blend that save me all the effort of buying multiple products and weighing them out to create a similar sauce. Then I tried the Yes Dear Competition Sauce, it's truly the winner for me.

Lastly for those who talk about Blue's Hog Sauces and Head Country Sauces..... Big Poppa Smokers currently has FREE SHIPPING in preparation for Labor Day cookouts, perfect time to try some new sauces, or stock up on the regulars without the harsh cost of shipping that could normally break the purchase.

That means that I might never try Yes Dear, since we don't even go through a bottle a year.

Bob C Cue
08-25-2018, 08:49 AM
"Don't Baste Your BBQ, Maull It!"

Joe Black
08-25-2018, 11:28 AM
My personal sauce is built on a recipe from a book written by the owner of another site. I use the basic recipe and change it to suite my family and friends. We keep some SBR for folks who want something different. It usually just goes back in the fridge.

Norm
08-25-2018, 12:38 PM
I like Famous Dave's Sweet & Zesty if I run out of my home made sauce.

pmad
08-25-2018, 05:21 PM
As a good St. Louis boy, I have to say Maull's
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31XiVU1CIzL.jpg

16Adams
08-25-2018, 05:34 PM
The Shed Sweet And Tangy

https://www.shedbbq.com/product-page/sweet-tangy

Rib Rub
08-25-2018, 06:28 PM
Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce. The best stuff I have ever had. I have had guest over and they ask what is the sauce?? When I do a Boston Butt I make my own. I make a Carolina Vinegar sauce. Always turns out great.

Rib Rub
08-25-2018, 06:30 PM
I like Famous Dave's Sweet & Zesty if I run out of my home made sauce.I have not had Dave’s in along time, but I remember I use to get take out and I would buy sauce. I liked his Devil Spit.

Rib Rub
08-25-2018, 06:31 PM
I have using a lot of Head Country lately.

My wife is a sweet kinda person...I am a tangy kinda person and HC hits us in the middle.
I bought a bottle of Head Country because of the hype and I found that it taste just like Sweet Baby Rays? Almost Identical?

Peter V
08-25-2018, 08:09 PM
I’ve been using Kroger’s Private Selection Carolina inspired BBQ sauce. I use it on ribs, it’s thinner than most store bought that I’ve found.

ky_dave
08-26-2018, 07:18 AM
I like Sonny's and Sweet Baby Ray's. Get both at Sam's Club.

KingRanch450
08-26-2018, 07:23 AM
Another vote for Head Country