PDA

View Full Version : Flat or point or what!

T&S BBQ
08-18-2018, 08:55 PM
Did a brisket today, first one in years. I'm confused on where to probe for tenderness. I know you go in the flat, and thats what I did. Probe went in like soft butter, but the point wasn't there yet. Do you pull it anyway and the point will get done during the hour rest, or do you keep cooking till the point is tender. Thats what I did, but the flat got dry. The point was awesome, tender, juicy, perfect pull, but the flat was dry. I wrapped in butcher paper, and held the temp around 260. Using offset smoker. Flavor was outstanding. I also over shot my temp a little, around 207. Any ideas?

Hoss
08-18-2018, 09:08 PM
I too have had the same issue with whole packer briskets.Now I take off the portion of the flat that extends past where the point covers it.I use it for burgers,chilli,etc.My briskets are better when cooked low and slow using only the portion of the flat that is completely covered/ protected by the point.If I do not do that,I pull the whole thing when the flat probes tender,remove the point,wrap and cooler the flat and put the point back on the smoker to let the point cook a little longer.

R2Egg2Q
08-18-2018, 09:13 PM
I focus on the flat and don’t really check the point anymore as there is a much smaller window of time when the flat is perfect and a larger window for the point. For me, the point is usually fine when flat is done. If I were to find the point didn’t seem tender enough and the flat was perfect I’d separate them and pull the flat off.

T&S BBQ
08-18-2018, 09:25 PM
I'm not doing comps< just want good eats. So the flat is what you worry about, do you let it rest on the counter for a hour, then cooler it, or cooler it right away.

Hoss
08-18-2018, 09:37 PM
I would think you would need to let it rest for a bit before coolering it or it will steam itself.Maybe not an hour but 15-20 minutes at least.

pjtexas1
08-18-2018, 11:12 PM
Did you cook to an internal temp or to probe tender? I couldn't tell for sure. Internal temp does not really matter other than letting you know when it's time to start probing. Dry and crumbly or dry and chewy?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

T&S BBQ
08-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Did you cook to an internal temp or to probe tender? I couldn't tell for sure. Internal temp does not really matter other than letting you know when it's time to start probing. Dry and crumbly or dry and chewy?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It was a 16lb packer, cooked at 260 for 6 1/2 hours then wrapped, the temp was about 180.Didn't know it would darken thru paper. ( that was cool). Then checked every hour for probe tender. 2 hours after wrapping, the flat probed like soft butter, but the point was not there yet, so I let it go another hour, the temp was in the 190 range maybe a little higher. When I checked it in another hour, the temp was 208-211. I know I went to high, should have checked ever half hour after flat was done. Any way point and flat probed good, so let it rest covered in the paper on the table for an hour. When I sliced it the flat was dry and crumbly, and the point was awesme. Perfect pull, juicy, flavor, fat all renderd. I know I over shot my temp, but should I have pulled it when the flat was tender the first time and not worried about the point.Also should I have wrapped sooner, not knowing that it darkens in the paper. Any help would be great, thanks

LYU370
08-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Dry & crumbly = overcooked. Should have pulled it when the flat was tender, then cut off the point, add some more seasoning and back onto the pit for some burnt ends.

Chop it up, add sauce and have some "BBQ sandwiches". Or make chili.

T&S BBQ
08-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Dry & crumbly = overcooked. Should have pulled it when the flat was tender, then cut off the point, add some more seasoning and back onto the pit for some burnt ends.

Chop it up, add sauce and have some "BBQ sandwiches". Or make chili.

That’s an option, but how do they cook the whole packer and not separate

LYU370
08-19-2018, 12:19 PM
You'll have to ask the Texas boys about that. I always make burnt ends out of the point.

sudsandswine
08-19-2018, 12:56 PM
I never bother probing the point, I've never had the flat probe tender and the point not be where I want it. I never really return the point to the cooker to make cubes "burnt ends" in a pan you often see people doing, I'll slice or cube the point and there's still plenty of actual "burnt ends" from the edges of the point and some of the flat. Still plenty of ways to turn the flat into something else if you wanted to use it....chili, hashes, chopped and sauced, etc. Then you still have the point how you like it.

T&S BBQ
08-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Yea I think I can do a little better next time. The point was perfection and that’s what we ate last night. I will use the flat for Chile or soup , I appreciate the help

LYU370
08-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Sometimes I'll grind the flat for burgers and cook just the point. Brisket burgers are awesome. Way better than chuck.