PDA

View Full Version : Roasting Coffee On New Gasser

rexster314
08-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Not sure if this is correct forum or not. I got the bug to roast my own coffee from another smoking forum the other day. I did some fresh green Kona coffee beans yesterday and had good luck with them. I got 4 pounds of certified Kona beans for around 44$. If you know Kona coffee, that's a going price for a pound of roasted coffee beans. I'm getting money's worth out of the new Kitchenaid gasser.

Here's my setup. The roasting drum is from Amazon, around 22$. Everything else I already had.

https://youtu.be/HhZypx618vY

Ron_L
08-15-2018, 02:27 PM
Nice setup! I roasted coffee using an RK Drum for years on my gasser. It works out great! I’ve since bought a Sonofresco commercial roaster and have retired the coffee roasting gasser after I was no longer able to get parts for it. It was an old Kenmore that I picked up at the local Sears outlet for under $100 and it served me for at least 10 years.

Smoking Piney
08-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Cool! :thumb:

Happy Hapgood
08-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Nice! Makes me want to start drinking coffee!

tmv1976
08-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Awesome setup. I've been roasting for about nine years, can't beat the flavor of fresh beans.

sudsandswine
08-15-2018, 09:15 PM
Roasting beans is the logical next step in my coffee snobbery. I knew this day would come.

I assume that back burner provides a different type of heat as opposed to using the burners underneath the grates?

rexster314
08-15-2018, 10:50 PM
Roasting beans is the logical next step in my coffee snobbery. I knew this day would come.

I assume that back burner provides a different type of heat as opposed to using the burners underneath the grates?

For me, the whole thing is trial and error. That's an infrared burner for rotisserie cooking, but it just didn't get the beans up to temp. The grill has 6 main burners and I've since positioned the drum directly over 3 of them. Grill heats up to 500 easily, and it's a direct heat on the bottom of the drum, roasting the beans a little more uniformly

sudsandswine
08-15-2018, 10:58 PM
I see. I just picked up a 3 burner gas grill and have a rotisserie for it, was wondering if that would do the trick. May have to get a proper length spit rod and give it a whirl.

Ron_L
08-16-2018, 07:13 AM
I see. I just picked up a 3 burner gas grill and have a rotisserie for it, was wondering if that would do the trick. May have to get a proper length spit rod and give it a whirl.

I roasted in a two burner cheap gasser for years. A three burner should be fine. The only thing that I did outside of the stock grill was to use a higher speed motor to turn the drum. They typical rotisserie motor may not agitate the beans enough to keep them from burning on the hot metal.

This is the motor that I have. It was a lot less money when I bought it about 15 years ago :)

https://www.rkdrums.com/product/rk-motor-coupler/

I’m not familiar with the drum that rexster has, but my RK drum has metal vanes inside to help agitate the beans, so that should help.

rexster314
08-16-2018, 10:50 AM
I’m not familiar with the drum that rexster has, but my RK drum has metal vanes inside to help agitate the beans, so that should help.

My roasting drum has one vane, but I'm thinking I'll add another one with pop rivets to further agitate the beans

Ron_L
08-16-2018, 11:59 AM
My roasting drum has one vane, but I'm thinking I'll add another one with pop rivets to further agitate the beans

Not a bad idea. The RK has three, if I remember correctly. You really want the beans airborne and not touching the hot metal as much as possible.