PDA

View Full Version : 12 Year Old JennAir Gasser --> Junkheap

rexster314
08-09-2018, 06:02 PM
The old grill just gave up. I hadn't used it for a couple of years, the sear burner nor the rotisserie burner just wouldn't stay lit, always blowing out. Flame tamers burnt out, burners pretty much burned out and warped. The valve for each burner was sticking like crazy, had to use vice grips to turn the damn things. Side burner that I hardly ever used was corroded badly.
Yesterday I finally said enough.
I found a brand new, open box Kitchenaid 720-0856V 8 burner gasser. I know, made by Nexgrill, but they made the Jennair and I couldn't argue about the quality or service from them. They completely replaced 2 sets of flame tamers, 2 sets of burners, one sear burner and one rotisserie burner in the first 4 years of ownership. All I ever paid was for shipping. Overall, to me not a bad experience. I found the K/A on craigslist just looking around for grills. Open box, never used for 650$. That's half price or better. And the K/A warranty for it is good. Only thing it doesn't have is a side burner, and as I didn't use the one on the Jennair, don't mind it a bit. Plus a 30 day DOA warranty from the seller. Picking it up in Houston tomorrow. And good news, the rotisserie I have should fit the new grill as well.

https://images.craigslist.org/00q0q_42zkyK6ZKtm_1200x900.jpg

Happy Hapgood
08-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Good Score!

WilliamKY
08-09-2018, 09:11 PM
I had a similar Jenn-Air that my old neighbor gave me when he moved. He said it quit working and didn't know what was wrong. It sat for years. Long story short after I started pricing components mine went to the recycling center. I kinda wish I would have saved some of the stainless though for other smoker enhancements and projects.

Bacchus2b
08-09-2018, 09:26 PM
The JennAire grill was most likely also made by NexGrill out of China, especially if you bought it at Lowe's. I had one for two years before it developed a gas leak and melted my entire wire & ignitor assembly with no parts availability.

Whether you like Weber or not, they make parts for years and years.

Good luck on your new purchase.

OKRadioGuy
08-10-2018, 01:52 AM
I have a Jenn Air China built four burner propane grill with side burner, bought from Lowes. Got all new burners and flame tamers and food grates from NexGrill for just shipping. Had the grill for about ten years. Does fine. BUT, my grill is covered, and in under a covered patio and never get any weather on it. Some rust on the body of the grill, but otherwise holding up well. Will replace if I can't get free burners any longer. So I cook on with it until then...

rexster314
08-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Yes, the old one was a Lowe's purchase, that's when Lowe's had a deal with Nexgrill to make the Jennair grills. I got lots of good years out of it, except the last 2 or so, just stopped using it and everything kinda seized up. I was gonna replace the burner controls but at 50-70 bucks each (woulda took 7 of them) plus new grill grates and flame tamers. That's when I started looking around and found this one on C/L.

Anyways, picked the new one up today in Houston. Now I remember why I moved out. Got it home and placed on our deck ok. Took about 30 minutes or so to attach the side shelf and sear burner. Fired it up and it got up to 550 deg in about 7 minutes.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/data/attachments/373/373365-7890c29447e52bec59e86bf3216b285a.jpg
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/data/attachments/373/373366-bf57ef656748918cbb115c26e4d81767.jpg
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/data/attachments/373/373364-d6ccea60c1a494c2e3b11f437009dc81.jpg

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/data/attachments/373/373363-8ba3d6a9886b68cc98fd8e2c0606b5cd.jpg

OKRadioGuy
08-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Looks like a good score. Should be able to get at least 12 years out of that Kitchen Aid model too. I'm hoping for another 5 or six years from the old Jenn Air four burner model before I have to look for another gas grill.

rookiedad
08-10-2018, 07:11 PM
nice! i had many good years on a jenn air too but it looks like you are going to enjoy the new one!

rexster314
08-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Wanted to tell you guys about my experience with the vendor. Especially Houston area people. I found this on craigslist. The people there were friendly and let me look over the grill before purchase, even taking out the accessory boxes and opening them up. I saw several other grills on their loading dock. Don't know what kind, but they were large ones. They loaded it in the back of my Expedition and put foam padding around it so it wouldn't slide or break out my back glass. Name of the place is Altech, on Pinemont in N Houston. If you're looking for a big screen TV, they got countless shelves of them. They are resellers of returned items, damaged items, etc, and apparently have been in business for some time
I'm not making anything off this, just wanted to let people know of the place and the great deal I got.