PDA

View Full Version : Dinner for 40, beef knuckle help

quamdar
08-01-2018, 06:03 AM
So I’m making dinner for 40 (I do it once a month) and am currently working on the menu. I like to do beef, chicken and pork. So far I’ve decided on BBQ drums and pork belly burnt ends. Wanted to try beef knuckle since it’s so cheap and have read it makes decent steaks. I just don’t want to go to try it and it be super tough, I heard it compared to sirloin which is very edible IMO.

So what’s the brethren’s opinion? Is it palletable as a steak or should I look elsewhere on the cow? Plan is to cut into big steaks then slice and serve the slices so people don’t waste any with so many other things.

55Drum
08-01-2018, 09:44 AM
I'm interested in the responses as well.....

jeffjenkins1
08-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Never cooked one but seeing it is from the sirloin I would not cook it past med or med well. Do a search in Q talk for sirloin tip roast... it is the same thing.

Looks like it would make some really good pit beef sammiches!

Jeff

SlickRockStones
08-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Beef knuckle is hind leg meat and contains sirloin tip roasts and tip steaks. They are very lean and not as tender as top sirloin. It makes great pit beef when med rare and thin sliced. When cooked whole they’re sometime called Steamer or ocean liner roasts as they carve roast beef for large crowds.

jdefran
08-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Never cooked one but seeing it is from the sirloin I would not cook it past med or med well. Do a search in Q talk for sirloin tip roast... it is the same thing.

Looks like it would make some really good pit beef sammiches!

Jeff
I just cooked a sirloin tip roast this weekend for work lunches and it tastes good. I cooked it till med-rare. If I were do it again I might separate the muscles as the grain seem to vary.