PDA

View Full Version : Blackstone - reseason or keep cooking?

Hadoken
07-27-2018, 07:31 PM
So I got my Blackstone 36” last week and seasoned it by putting a coat of oil, smoking it off letting it cool and repeating 4 times. I cooked some onions and had a great black smooth coating.

The next day I made some bacon and just scraped the bacon bits off and wiped the bacon grease mostly off with a paper towel.

Now a week later I uncovered it and apparently the sugar in the bacon didn’t like my seasoning and I had some oxidization where some of the strips were.

Would I be able to just try to re-season these spots or should I strip the entire surface back down and start over? They look worse in the picture than they do in person.

txsmkmstr
07-27-2018, 08:37 PM
I would keep on cooking and remember to start with a well greased surface (even with bacon) every time until the seasoning gets built up sufficiently. You can always re-season later but I would never consider a strip down unless there was significant amounts of rust.

Good season is a long process and 4 or 5 "coats" is just a start. The more you cook the better it'll get. That's what I do and yes, I've had those same marks.

sjb67
07-27-2018, 08:43 PM
I lose bits and pieces of the seasoning coat all the time on mine I just clean well season over it and keep cooking

Hadoken
07-27-2018, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the tips - good to hear that.
Obviously I'm brand new to the Blackstone but I'm loving it so far. It was awesome tonight to make fried rice with peas, carrots, eggs, zucchini, broccoli and chicken without having to dirty 10 pans or keep removing things from a wok to a holding dish.

Especially for someone with an electric range, it was great. So glad I went with the 36" to have all of the extra holding space.

LYU370
07-27-2018, 09:24 PM
Keep cooking.