PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Rib Eyes on BGE and a Blanton’s Old Fashioned

hurricanedavid
07-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Rib Eyes are not my favorite to cook on CI but that’s what the Mrs. brought home. A little EVO and basic SPG was the seasoning of choice for this cook.

I let the BGE/CI get to about 500F and tossed them In the CI Skillet. A total of 2.5 minutes per side and they both finished up about medium rare. Mushrooms and a combination of fresh green beans and asparagus made the sides. Flavor profile was surperb and the sides complicated the steak.

A Blanton’s select Old Fashioned to wash it all down!

A few pictures to follow and thanks for checking it out.

lankster35
07-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Blantons....The marketing - supply and demand - they have it figured out. You used to be able to buy Blantons all day long anywhere you went and now they just trickle it out a little at a time. It is good but I had to switch to other more readily available brands.

mchar69
07-10-2018, 07:05 PM
Smiles, Everyone, Smiles!! The meal looks super!

Stingerhook
07-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Damn, I want a plate.

WilliamKY
07-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Blantons....The marketing - supply and demand - they have it figured out. You used to be able to buy Blantons all day long anywhere you went and now they just trickle it out a little at a time. It is good but I had to switch to other more readily available brands.
I can get Blantons all day long here in Ky. What I cant find is HEB borracho beans with Shiner Bock. Dang regional boundaries.:cry:

Pocchampion
07-10-2018, 08:01 PM
I can get Blantons all day long here in Ky. What I cant find is HEB borracho beans with Shiner Bock. Dang regional boundaries.:cry:

I will send you a can of beans for a bottle of Blantons!!!

Whitewookie
07-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Nice steak and good bourbon.

I usually drink Makers 46 or Woodford Reserve select, but I wouldn’t get mad if offered two fingers of Blanton’s.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JVM59
07-10-2018, 09:11 PM

It's made at the same distillery as Pappy Van Winkle, and I can remember when you could buy that anywhere you went as well.

tom b
07-10-2018, 09:26 PM
that will eat!

Smoking Piney
07-11-2018, 07:29 AM
I like the way you roll, David. :-D

Killer plate!

SmokerKing
07-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Miss my Blantons. Used to be my weekend bourbon a few years back.
Rare as hen's teeth around here now. If I can find it, $140.00 bottle. Sorry, not worth that.

Big George's BBQ
07-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Looks perfect

Sidd Finch
07-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Try Henry McKenna 10 year bottled in bond instead of the Blantons. Higher proof, much cheaper, easy to find, tons of flavor.

Garyclaw
07-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Love those CI steaks, Dave!

hurricanedavid
07-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Try Henry McKenna 10 year bottled in bond instead of the Blantons. Higher proof, much cheaper, easy to find, tons of flavor.

I have over twenty bourbon varieties in my liquor cabinet including Henry McKenna 10 year and I agree with your assessment, tons of unique flavor. :thumb:

pmad
07-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Blanton’s / Pappy’s has been struggling since they were robbed in 2013. Someone stole 195 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year and nine cases of 13-year-old Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. A theft like that can cripple a small distillery.

LYU370
07-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Went to Louisville last summer for my B-Day and hit a bunch of distilleries.

Learned that the entire worldwide supply of Blanton's Bourbon is stored in this rickhouse at the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

https://i.imgur.com/215E3kAh.jpg

hurricanedavid
07-12-2018, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=LYU370;4031238]Went to Louisville last summer for my B-Day and hit a bunch of distilleries.

Learned that the entire worldwide supply of Blanton's Bourbon is stored in this rickhouse at the Buffalo Trace Distillery.

I presume the photo is warehouse "H" and the storage racks within the center of warehouse "H" produce the very best Blanton's whiskery.

Those barrels were once upon a time saved for royalty, VIP's, and friends of Colonel Blanton. They now bottle that whiskey as their "Blanton's Select". The same looking Blanton's bottle will contain a small round red sticker stating as such. A nearly impossible bottle to find.