PDA

View Full Version : My First Brisket

DeanC
04-17-2007, 08:28 PM
I was trying to organize all of our digital pics tonight and ran across some from my first brisket cook. The date is wrong, it was actually May of 2003, but it made me think about how many Brethern have documented their maiden voyage on this forum. I didn't know about this forum back then and I was happy when I came across these pics.

If I remember right, I bought the brisket at Price Chopper and rubbed it with Willy's Number Wonderfull from Smoke and Spice. That's a Masterbuilt 3 in 1 (or something like that) my wife bought me when I first got started, I gave it to a friend several years ago. This is the first cook I used a chimney on as well.

Wish I could remember how it turned out, I don't think I trimmed it at all.

FatDaddy
04-17-2007, 08:36 PM
good lookin first brisket. I remember my first brisket. allways a good feeling when i think back to when i first started.

Plowboy
04-17-2007, 08:37 PM
:confused: I don't get the math. The smoker was given away several years ago, but the brisket was cooked less than four years ago. Did you borrow the cooker from the friend?

I don't have pictures, but I remember some of my first attempts at BBQ. Some were fantastic and many were aweful. Kinda like today.:rolleyes: I still remember the best T-Bone I've ever had that was made on my little brinkman POS.

Mr. Bo
04-17-2007, 08:40 PM
That do be lookin' good regardless of the date.

Gotta ask the nagging question though.... wtf is a WSM?

Just learning so be gentle.

icemn62
04-17-2007, 08:46 PM
That was your 1st try at Brisket? That was a good job. The thing I remember about my very first brisket, was how AWFUL it was. The dog still gives me a funny look, he really did not like it, although it made a nice chew toy for him.

WSM = WEBER SMOKY MOUNTAIN. Set it and forget it smoker. look here:
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/charcoal/cg_sg_smk.aspx

DeanC
04-17-2007, 08:56 PM
:confused: I don't get the math. The smoker was given away several years ago, but the brisket was cooked less than four years ago. Did you borrow the cooker from the friend?

I don't have pictures, but I remember some of my first attempts at BBQ. Some were fantastic and many were aweful. Kinda like today.:rolleyes: I still remember the best T-Bone I've ever had that was made on my little brinkman POS.

The date is wrong on the camera, it was mid or late May 2003. The grass, even by my standards, which are low, is a little too green for Dec. in KC. I gave the smoker away sometime in 2005 when I bought my first WSM, I don't remember the exact date, it might have been 2004. It was the summer of 2002 when I first watched my brother in law smoke ribs. Until then, the only thing I cooked outside were steaks and chicken. Sorry if my math is confusing.

Plowboy
04-17-2007, 09:02 PM
The date is wrong on the camera, it was mid or late May 2003. The grass, even by my standards, which are low, is a little too green for Dec. in KC. I gave the smoker away sometime in 2005 when I bought my first WSM, I don't remember the exact date, it might have been 2004. It was the summer of 2002 when I first watched my brother in law smoke ribs. Until then, the only thing I cooked outside were steaks and chicken. Sorry if my math is confusing.

I was just jerkin' yer chain.

thillin
04-17-2007, 09:04 PM

Pass it on!:cool:

DeanC
04-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Ok, but I may be a dumbazz and 12/06/03 might be 06/12/03, who knows. Dammit Plowboy I thought I found something important and you have to ruin it.

Mooner
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Man, my first brisket was atrocious! I bough a packer flat and threw it on a New Barunfels or something. Used all wood in the firebox, no temp gauge, no meat thermometor. Cooked it only like 8 hours. It was tough as HELL! Worst thing I ever tasted hahaha.