PDA

View Full Version : You farkers have me committed now.....

Cat797
07-06-2018, 05:17 AM
After seeing the thread a couple days ago about the 36" Blackstone Griddle that can be had for $199, I decided I would get one. Problem is I haven't been able to find one in stock close to me and on my drive to work. So in my searches I ran across a Blue Rhino Griddle which is a little different than the Blackstone. I've seen a lot of complaints about the Blackstone grease catcher, and the Rhino design looks quite a bit different.

Any concerns with the Blackstone design? Any mods to do?

Thanks....I will be griddling on one of these soon.

Ed

chiefblue
07-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Kinda a side question, but my local hardware store has 2 28" Blackstones. They look very similiar but one has the grease catcher on the back and one has it on the front. Is one an older model or?

PlattDaddyBBQ
07-06-2018, 08:24 AM
The one with the grease catcher in the back is the new model.

Pig_Farmer
07-06-2018, 08:33 AM
I haven't used the newer model BS36. Only mod I have done with my BS is to put a piece of bailing wire in the hole for the grease trap to let the grease drip directly into the catch. I use mine all of the time. When I first got it the ignitor wasn't working. I contacted customer service and a new ignitor was at my door in 2 days. I also picked up a BS17 table top to use on small catering jobs. I love my Blackstones.

Joshw
07-06-2018, 08:40 AM
The rear drain is new. Supposedly the grease issue is resolved. Mine is still in the box, so I can't say. I believe the $199 deal is over, but if you aren't in a hurry it will be back. Also from my understanding the surround table does not work with new models.

Cat797
07-08-2018, 06:53 PM
I finally got my hands on both the Blackstone and the Blue Rhino today....Anybody here have the Blue Rhino? I like some of the design features. Namely the grease tray and the shelves that fold up and provide a cover. I have read that the griddle has a cold spot on the left hand side but looking at the burners I don't see how that's possible. I also think the Blackstone has a thicker griddle. Leaning toward Blackstone because of reputation but wondering how the new rear grease management system is?

Thanks,
Ed

Joshw
07-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Me too. There is very little info, on the new models. Still haven't opened mine.All I can say about the Blue Rhino, is it has 21% 1 star rating on Amazon. That doesn't sound real promising.
I finally got my hands on both the Blackstone and the Blue Rhino today....Anybody here have the Blue Rhino? I like some of the design features. Namely the grease tray and the shelves that fold up and provide a cover. I have read that the griddle has a cold spot on the left hand side but looking at the burners I don't see how that's possible. I also think the Blackstone has a thicker griddle. Leaning toward Blackstone because of reputation but wondering how the new rear grease management system is?

Thanks,
Ed