PDA

View Full Version : Offset metal thickness

smokingbro
07-01-2018, 11:38 AM
How important is metal thickness for an offset smoker? I'm considering buying one of the new LGS 20x42s or going with a 1/4" propane tank based smoker.

The LSG is 3/16, but has a great fit and finish and comes from a reputable manufacturer. I also like the option for reverse searing steaks and roasts with the firebox grate option. I worry about it's performance in rain/wind/cold temps since I live in Maryland. Any experience cooking on a 3/16 in less than ideal conditions?

For comparison, I can get a 1/4" chamber with an insulated firebox and cabinet doors for about the same cost. However the welds look a bit rough and the company isn't widely known, so I'm not too sure about it.

Joshw
07-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Metal thickness is important, but you also have to consider design. A cooker with proper air flow with a fractional difference in thickness will outperform one with thciker metal and bad design. You also have consider lifespan. Poor welds, will not last as long. I personally would go LSG, but don't know anything about your other option.

The Wookiee
07-01-2018, 01:34 PM
Metal thickness is important, but you also have to consider design. A cooker with proper air flow with a fractional difference in thickness will outperform one with thciker metal and bad design. You also have consider lifespan. Poor welds, will not last as long. I personally would go LSG, but don't know anything about your other option.

agree with above completely. LSG you describe is 1/4" firebox 3/16" chamber. your adjustments to temps wetness coldness etc will simply be with your fire size; will take a bit more wood to hold a specific temp... lot's of great pits have 3/16 chambers (jambo backyard is 3/16 with insulated FB; pitmaker sniper line is 3/16 with 1/4"FB or insulated, etc).

Rockinar
07-01-2018, 01:42 PM
How important is metal thickness for an offset smoker? I'm considering buying one of the new LGS 20x42s or going with a 1/4" propane tank based smoker.

The LSG is 3/16, but has a great fit and finish and comes from a reputable manufacturer. I also like the option for reverse searing steaks and roasts with the firebox grate option. I worry about it's performance in rain/wind/cold temps since I live in Maryland. Any experience cooking on a 3/16 in less than ideal conditions?

For comparison, I can get a 1/4" chamber with an insulated firebox and cabinet doors for about the same cost. However the welds look a bit rough and the company isn't widely known, so I'm not too sure about it.

Design is everything.

ssv3
07-01-2018, 01:52 PM
I'd go LSG also. 3/16" is plenty good IMHO. Plus the FB is 1/4".

BillN
07-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Another vote for LSG 20 X 42

SmittyJonz
07-01-2018, 03:31 PM
You will see a Major Non Difference between 3/16” and 1/4”........

Czarbecue
07-01-2018, 04:00 PM
I have nothing but piece of mind knowing my cooker is 1/4" :thumb:

SmittyJonz
07-01-2018, 04:19 PM

And yet he owns 2 14 gauge Banderas.........:shock: ....even bought them a trailer......

Joe Black
07-01-2018, 10:03 PM
My Bell Fab is 1/4" in the cook chamber and 3/8" in the fire box. I think if any extra money is to be spent on thickness, it should be in the fire box. It would hold heat longer, rebuild heat quicker and use less fuel.

Good luck

Czarbecue
07-02-2018, 03:04 AM
And yet he owns 2 14 gauge Banderas.........:shock: ....even bought them a trailer......

Hey, it's still back in Texas. That 14 gauge Bandera wasn't worthy of a first, second, or third trip to GA.

smokingbro
07-02-2018, 02:40 PM

It seems like most of those are charcoal based smokers besides the Banderas? Does it matter quite as much for an offset since much more heat and air are moving through?

SmittyJonz
07-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Hey, it's still back in Texas. That 14 gauge Bandera wasn't worthy of a first, second, or third trip to GA.

You need go ahead and have BeardedBassGuy well it for you.....