PDA

View Full Version : Bachelor for 3 days, 3 days of different steaks, ongoing...

cfrazier77
06-29-2018, 10:01 PM
My wife and son are gone to visit her family for three days and I get to get some projects done and enjoy some quite time. I figured that I would make a different steak each evening. First night, strip steak. I wanted to stretch out the cooking time so I tried something new.

I started by cold smoking, well as cold as I could with 90 degree temp, by using 3 lit charcoal briquettes and some cherry wood on it. After about 30 minutes I wrapped in foil and put in the freezer. 1 hour later it was in the 30s and I repeated the same thing and back into the freezer. An hour later I got a full load of charcoal going for the kettle. More cherry and then a reverse sear. I went for medium rare/medium.

Results were great, there was a significant smoke flavor, more than when I normally grill with wood added for smoke. It had a good texture as well. I through in a smoked baked potato, wrapped in foil and in the smoker for 6 hours at 225 with ribs from the other day. Add a new local whiskey, Kinsey, and it was a good meal.

Two more evenings, two more different steaks. What do you all suggest and how to cook it?

Mr.OiSat
06-30-2018, 12:25 AM
That steak looks absolutely delicious!!! I like the idea of cold smoking it before grilling, got to try it next time I'm home alone with enough time to do it.
How long did it take overall?

From the baconarea of bratwurstcountry

Kanco Connection
06-30-2018, 12:26 AM
Looks great, Craig! Interesting prep, too. I've got a nice strip steak from the KC Steak Co just waiting for the family to go on vacation, too. If it was me, I'd go ribeye and hanger for the other 2 nights and try new whiskies instead of getting creative with steak prep--I'm not that creative.

TravelingJ
06-30-2018, 12:43 AM
If it was me, I'd go ribeye and hanger for the other 2 nights and try new whiskies instead of getting creative with steak prep--I'm not that creative.

I agree with this!

Kanco Connection
06-30-2018, 12:55 AM
...a good rye and a good bourbon to go with good steaks...for example:

Barrell Bourbon #11
291 Rye

Should make the ribeye and the hanger sing. Maybe just play with wood smoke you don't normally use with steak and see if you pick up anything different.

Mikhail
06-30-2018, 05:43 AM
Looks perfect to me. Like the cold smoking idea.

cfrazier77
06-30-2018, 06:15 AM
That steak looks absolutely delicious!!! I like the idea of cold smoking it before grilling, got to try it next time I'm home alone with enough time to do it.
How long did it take overall?

It was about 6 hours from start to plate. Most of the time was when it was in the freezer chilling.

IamMadMan
06-30-2018, 07:13 AM
Awesome Steak Craig......

Smoking Piney
06-30-2018, 08:26 AM
The steak is spot-on! :thumb:

ice_mf_mike
06-30-2018, 08:28 AM
funny i came in here to ask what delicious beers you had on tap to go along with that! Enjoy!

cfrazier77
06-30-2018, 10:46 AM
funny i came in here to ask what delicious beers you had on tap to go along with that! Enjoy!

Since I homebrew for my other hobbie, I have a cascade pale ale and a English honey bitter on tap.:wink:

cfrazier77
06-30-2018, 07:58 PM
Day 2, Steak 2....
Thick cut ribeye, sear first and then cook indirect. Seasoned with Oakridge Santa Maria and black pepper. Drank a nice homebrew while grilling.

So to be different I did not add any wood when grilling, but added my favorite Scotch, Laphroaig. It is heavy on the beautiful peaty smoke, and it paired great with the ribeye that did not have any smoke. So just a big steak and Scotch, good dinner. However would have been better a little more on the med rare side.

So, now what to cook tomorrow for the last night?

cfrazier77
07-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Update, tonight's steak, pork steak.....

cfrazier77
07-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Last day, last steak, pork steak....

If you are from St Louis, you know and understand pork steak. It is a beautiful thing, and unfortunately no one outside of St Louis it seems knows what it is, especially in a meat department. After leaving St Louis last year, I have found a few places that would cut them for me, and where I could buy boneless pork butts and cut some myself and save the rest for pulled pork.

When it comes to pork steaks, there are two classic ways. One is to high temp sear on a grill and then braze in "beered" down BBQ sauce. This is very good. The other is to grill 1/2" steaks to about 170 and sauce on the grill so it turns into a glaze. Which is better? Depends on your background. I love a brazed pork steak, but my dad made them by the second option. All on the grill with the glazed sauce is a childhood memory for me. My dad work like crazy, and was gone a lot for work. He did not grill that often, but when he made pork steaks it was like heaven. When I make them now I always make them version #2 and it is like eating a memory.

So tonight is was memories, pork steaks. 2 1/2 boneless cooked to about 170. I used a rub I brought from the Illinois side of St Louis, Nick's. The sauce was a local cheap PA sauce, not the classic Maull's. The plate does not look clean, its not. Pork steak done right is not clean, its nasty, saucy, dripping, and amazing. It was a wonderful last night meal, with a whiskey sour to go with it.

Good night all..........

ssv3
07-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Living like a King. Not mad at all. Food and drinks looks amazing!

Joshw
07-01-2018, 09:07 PM
I must be close enough to St. Louis, because I have been eating them my whole life. It was my dad's favorite cut. We always just dry rubbed and grilled. your way looks good too. They are also good, grilled, and braised in sauerkraut, onions, and beer. Anyone that hasn't had pork steak, is missing out.

Kanco Connection
07-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Man, that looks great!

aerotech11
07-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Everything looks great. I’ve never had pork streaks but now I’m going to have to try it. Looks fantastic.

Mr.OiSat
07-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Pork Steaks are fantastic. Over here we grill about as much pork steaks as beef steaks.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
07-02-2018, 12:08 AM
Looks perfect.

mattmountz94
07-02-2018, 05:31 AM
I am going to have to try some pork steaks! Yum yum