PDA

View Full Version : What is your go to sauce for pulled pork?

sarth67
06-29-2018, 03:44 PM
I have been making several attempts at different sauces here recently
Sweet apple butter BBQ sauce it was ok but really too sweet for me for pulled pork.

I just made a Carolina Mustard sauce
Roughly following this recipe
Author: Steve Cylka
Ingredients

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
3 tablespoons butter

Instructions

Whisk all the ingredients together in a saucepan until smooth. Cook on medium low heat for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
Store in a jar or squeeze bottle in the fridge.

only change was I added some brown mustard about 1/4 of a cup instead of all yellow. and extra cayenne pepper 1/2 table spoon instead of teaspoon OOPS :)

WOW it is really good front end it is tart and a little sweet but then starts biting your tongue afterwards.

So what is your favorite recipe or pre made sauce for pulled pork.

Evil-g
06-29-2018, 04:01 PM
Hereís a thread all about that.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212642

SmittyJonz
06-29-2018, 04:10 PM
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212642

IamMadMan
06-29-2018, 04:17 PM
For years I have tried virtually 100's of recipes and variations of them, never really outstanding. So now I prefer to use higher end commercial sauces like Blues Hog, Yes Dear, Phil's, and Head Country. I get my best results from mixing two or more sauces (mainly Blues Hog Original and Blues Hog Tennessee Red) (and other added ingredients) to get the end result I desire.

I also prefer to serve the sauce on the side, usually 2 or more. Savory, Sweet, and a Spicy so there is something for everyone in attendance.

Joshw
06-29-2018, 04:36 PM
If I am going to sauce, 9 times out of 10, it is Head Country.

WilliamKY
06-29-2018, 04:38 PM
I used to use different bbq sauces but Lexington style finishing sauce is my new favorite.

Blowin' Smoke
06-29-2018, 04:44 PM
I make my own. Itís a mix of Carolina vinegar sauce and a ketchup based sauce. You can add more heat or more sweet depending on your taste.

2 Tablespoon melted butter
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup Heinz ketchup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup Franks hot sauce
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Add onion powder, pepper, salt to taste, or add your favorite bbq rub to compliment. Itís phenomenal with pulled pork and chopped brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoke ninja
06-29-2018, 04:49 PM
Boshizzles shack attack

Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe
Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

frognot
06-29-2018, 04:52 PM
I like Blues Hog Tennessee Red but when out of that make up some Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213153

Big Frank
06-29-2018, 04:54 PM
+ Carolina Mustard sauce

KevinJ
06-29-2018, 04:56 PM
I like Blues Hog Tennessee RedI prefer to eat it dry or with some apple cider vinegar based slaw on top, if I'm going to use a sauce it's Tennessee Red, Swamp Boys is a distant second.

dadsr4
06-29-2018, 04:57 PM
None. Each person likes different things, and most of my pulled pork goes into the freezer for future use. I've used, and enjoyed, some of the things listed, but others have indicated that they would prefer to chose their own. The only one that ever gets mentioned is "BBQ sauce". Like Kraft or SBR.

Ducksmoke
06-29-2018, 05:33 PM
I love “Roxy Sauce”. I think it’s fantastic with pulled pork. Recipe is on the net.

Westx
06-29-2018, 05:52 PM
Swap Boys original mixed with some of their bootleg red.

Monkey Uncle
06-29-2018, 07:08 PM
I'm a North Carolina snob. Cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (or cayenne powder). By far the best accompaniment for pork BBQ, IMHO. Must be eaten with sweet white/green slaw.

However, I also sometimes make a piedmont NC sauce that starts with the above basic ingredients and adds ketchup and brown sugar, with a touch of onion, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Vinegar is still the dominant flavor; I don't like sweet sauces or mustard-based sauces on pulled/chopped pork.

Tip: If your sauce recipe calls for water, try leaving it out and keeping all the other ingredients the same. You'd be surprised how much more flavor you'll get.

tom72
06-29-2018, 07:29 PM
I like my root beer/star anise sauce with pulled pork:

2 large lemons

3 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed

3 slices of onion, about 1/4 inch thick

2 cups of root beer

1 1/2 cups ketchup

1 1/2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce

4 tablespoons hot sauce

2 tablespoons of cider vinegar

2 teaspoons of liquid smoke

1 tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper

2 tablespoons of brown sugar

4 tablespoons of molasses

2 tablespoons of honey

3 ounces (1/2 can) of tomato paste

6 star anise

Optional: 1 teaspoon of root beer extract for flavor

Cut one of the lemons in half cross-wise and cut two 1/4 thick slices from the halves. Remove any seeds from the slices. Juice the remaining lemon and half of the second lemon (you can add more or less, depending on your tastes).

Add the lemon slices, lemon juice, and all remaining ingredients to a large heavy saucepan and slowly bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly to maintain a gentle simmer. Let the sauce cook down until it's thick and richly flavored. Taste for seasoning, and add more lemon juice, hot sauce, and/or cider vinegar as necessary and season with salt to taste. Strain the sauce into a bowl and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate, covered, until serving.

WilliamKY
06-29-2018, 07:39 PM
I'm a North Carolina snob. Cider vinegar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (or cayenne powder). By far the best accompaniment for pork BBQ, IMHO. Must be eaten with sweet white/green slaw.

However, I also sometimes make a piedmont NC sauce that starts with the above basic ingredients and adds ketchup and brown sugar, with a touch of onion, Worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. Vinegar is still the dominant flavor; I don't like sweet sauces or mustard-based sauces on pulled/chopped pork.

Tip: If your sauce recipe calls for water, try leaving it out and keeping all the other ingredients the same. You'd be surprised how much more flavor you'll get.
After trying another brethren's recipe I'm not sure I can do bbq sauce again on pulled pork. I always liked it until I did the finishing sauce and realized I just liked the sweetness. With the vinegar sauce I can taste the real bbq and smoke. Just my opinion.

SirPorkaLot
06-29-2018, 08:13 PM
No sweet sauce on my pork please.

This is how I roll.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180630/c79de28cbe408a2d97efd4328cb347f3.png

JVM59
06-29-2018, 09:24 PM
A few years ago my wife and I were in Huntsville Alabama and came across a BBQ restaurant named Dreamland. It's still my first choice for pouring over freshly pulled pork.

Kevin89
06-29-2018, 09:35 PM
No sweet sauce on my pork please.

This is how I roll.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180630/c79de28cbe408a2d97efd4328cb347f3.png

I actually used this exact recipe this past Sunday on my first pork butt, definitely enjoyed it. Gotta love the tang.

EyeBurnEverything
06-29-2018, 09:43 PM

Always makes me scratch my head when a sauce recipe calls for a good amount of water, then tells you to cook it down for X amount of hours to thicken. I mean, if it takes 20 min to evaporate 1/2 cup of water at a low simmer, why even add that much. Add a 1/4 cup if there needs to be liquids in the pot and simmer for 10 min. I am being minimal in my analogy, ive seen 1-2 cups and simmers for 1-2 hours which just seems like overkill.

Biloxidman
06-29-2018, 09:55 PM
I like mixing the pig juice from the cook to get moist pulled pork. I usually finish it in a pan and get at least a cup, sometimes two that way.

The Wookiee
06-29-2018, 10:03 PM
Vinegar salt pepper if Iím pleased with the cook and the cut of pig... I use bone suckiní Or blues hog stuff a lot as well (cut/thinned with vinegar and worchesteshire) if going for a sauce. Usually canít heat the sauce up much as I feed kiddos so heat is on the side...

AKMIMNAK
06-29-2018, 10:07 PM
If I'm in the mood to make my own, it's always Paul Kirk's Carolina mustard. If not it's Bone Suckin Mustard or Killer Hogs Vinegar BBQ.

Theboz1419
06-29-2018, 11:46 PM
Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

Just a little

sudsandswine
06-29-2018, 11:50 PM
I've fallen out of love with pulled pork in recent years but I'm thinking i should try some of the vinegar based sauces posted here to see if I can rekindle the relationship.

Monkey Uncle
06-30-2018, 05:20 AM
Always makes me scratch my head when a sauce recipe calls for a good amount of water, then tells you to cook it down for X amount of hours to thicken. I mean, if it takes 20 min to evaporate 1/2 cup of water at a low simmer, why even add that much. Add a 1/4 cup if there needs to be liquids in the pot and simmer for 10 min. I am being minimal in my analogy, ive seen 1-2 cups and simmers for 1-2 hours which just seems like overkill.

Yes, and there are a lot of Lexington-style sauce recipes that call for a good bit of water and no cooking to reduce. I find those to be pretty flavorless. The water kind of cancels out the vinegar bite. The vinegar overtone is the whole point of a NC sauce.

sarth67
06-30-2018, 06:38 AM
Pulled pork egg rolls with the Carolina Mustard sauce were so good.

IamMadMan
06-30-2018, 06:54 AM
Looking in my files, Blu Dawg had posted several recipes in the past...

================================================

Blu's Standard Pig Juice

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup water
2 Tbl ketchup
2 Tbl Chrystal hot sauce
1 Tbl Salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp granulated Garlic
2 Tbl red pepper flakes

Bring it to a boil and pull the pan off the heat let it cool and pour it in a clean bottle

Blu's Red Pig Juice

1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Water ( Sub Stock if desired)
3 Tbl Brown sugar
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbs Diablo jalapeno Mustard ( Sub 3 rings Pickled Jalapeno fine mince & yellar mustard)
pinch of Cayenne or to taste
1 Tbs red pepper flakes

Dissolve the salt and sugar in the Vinegar/ Water add remaining ingredients whisk to combine and bottle let stand 2-3 hrs.

Bludawg's Wild Hawg Gravy
Tn Red Clone

1 quart apple cider vinegar
1 20 oz bottle ketchup
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 cup paprika
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 Tbl Black pepper
1 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl season salt
1 Tbl chipolte powder
2 Tbl red pepper flakes
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp mace

Slowly heat in a non reactive pan to a low simmer. Simmer 15 min allow to cool and bottle. Makes 1/2 gal + a pint.

Libertarian
06-30-2018, 09:33 AM
Vinegar. Anything else and you're doing it wrong.

sarth67
06-30-2018, 08:14 PM
I've fallen out of love with pulled pork in recent years but I'm thinking i should try some of the vinegar based sauces posted here to see if I can rekindle the relationship.

Give it a try.
We just did pulled pork egg-rolls. A vinegar mustard sauce made them pretty amazing.

Hoss
06-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Fresh,cheap white bun,PULLED{not chopped}pork( preferably a whole shoulder or a mixture of Boston butt and Picnic),cabbage slaw(sweet vinegar or Mayo "Duke's" based) and a splash or three of Crystal hot sauce.A little slather of that Duke's Mayo on one slice of the bun doesn't hurt anything either! :wink::thumb: