PDA

View Full Version : PRON heavy - Tips on cleaning - renovating this Assassin 28

JKCDN
06-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Hi All -

Posted a while back on this craigslist Assassin 28. I am the new owner (4th total) and got a great deal. Now comes the part I don't have a lot of experience with. CLEANING

My biggest concern is this area (can I hit this with a wire brush or will it cause too much damage, it's soft to the touch like paper)

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w474/redonkykong/IMG_20180620_104920_zps3vzhpngi.jpg

Next up is the shoot. I am planning on wire brush to remove this buildup. Can I line this with tinfoil after a re-season to reduce buildup in the future?

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w474/redonkykong/01616_4M5ySF7KzVm_1200x900_zpsfiietn39.jpg

Top of the firebox gasket. Anyone ever tried replacing the gaskets on an assassin? I have emailed Jeff for a manual (can't find one online) and the cost of replacement gaskets.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w474/redonkykong/IMG_20180620_104816_zpshjkgluqb.jpg

I will remove the sticker with a heat gun. The finish has a few spots of wear. I was thinking of angle grinder and repaint with hi heat Rust-Oleum and then remembered I have 3 pre-school kids and no experience. Thinking to cook a year on it and then truck it over to someone for a professional job.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w474/redonkykong/IMG_20180620_104747_zpsnapjriqc.jpg

Some corrosion on the latches. Was thinking a dip in full strength CLR. Any reason to avoid removing ( don't want to cause air leaks).

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w474/redonkykong/00000_chJmcMbRa8T_1200x900_zpsch6pjfhw.jpg

Last one - Without a manual, I don't know where my "in the mail" Pitmaster IQ 110 is inserted. Are these ports for the therms?

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w474/redonkykong/IMG_20180620_105201_zpszmm7731a.jpg

THANK YOU to anyone who can help point me in the right direction. I want to take my time, do it right and really get this beautiful smoker back to it's "zen" position. Very excited to get started :thumb:

Last photo as thanks for reading this long post:

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w474/redonkykong/BBQ/IMG_20160228_160918_zpsusbrdfl6.jpg

Baychilla
06-20-2018, 02:04 PM
I'm guessing but the two capped ports are probably:
upper - temp probes
lower - fan

Richard_
06-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Contact Assassin , they have been refurbing gravity feed smoker before they started selling their own !

eap0510
06-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Both of the ports on the back are for temperature probes. On the firebox there should be a ball value that with an adapter can accept a blower.

I have a 28 as well and when I contacted Assassin I was informed that the gasket was around $50 if I remember correctly. From my conversation with them to replace the gasket you just have to remove the skin of the cooker. To remove the skin you simply remove all of the screws and hope that they are not seized up or you will have to cut them off. The good news is that when you order the gasket kit it comes with replacement screws.

As for the build I have the same issue but not nearly as bad as you do. I have not really thought about cleaning it up so I will be in tune to this thread to see what is offered up in cleaning it.

-Eric

thigpen1
06-21-2018, 07:21 AM
As far as I know there is no manual for the Assassin smokers. Good news is none of the problems you are encountering have any impact on it's cooking ability.

JKCDN
06-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Both of the ports on the back are for temperature probes. On the firebox there should be a ball value that with an adapter can accept a blower.

I have a 28 as well and when I contacted Assassin I was informed that the gasket was around $50 if I remember correctly. From my conversation with them to replace the gasket you just have to remove the skin of the cooker. To remove the skin you simply remove all of the screws and hope that they are not seized up or you will have to cut them off. The good news is that when you order the gasket kit it comes with replacement screws.

As for the build I have the same issue but not nearly as bad as you do. I have not really thought about cleaning it up so I will be in tune to this thread to see what is offered up in cleaning it.

-EricEric,

Do you have an electronic copy of the instruction manual?

Thanks for the info, I'd love to send it off to assassin for refurb but I'm in Southern California and the freight alone is outside my budget :/

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

eap0510
06-21-2018, 10:29 AM
Eric,

Do you have an electronic copy of the instruction manual?

Thanks for the info, I'd love to send it off to assassin for refurb but I'm in Southern California and the freight alone is outside my budget :/

As mentioned in an earlier post there is not a manual to the cooker. The information that I gave out comes from talking with Assassin and from my own observation of how the cooker is put together.

-Eric

DUBBAGA
06-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Aaaaah, so you are the proud owner of the Fu Man Que Crew (LeftCoaster) smoker.

That guy is rough on his toys. Bad, bad, Chris :-P

JKCDN
06-21-2018, 01:07 PM
My bad, was on mobile when posting and didn't see thigpen1's comment.

eap0510
06-22-2018, 09:53 AM
I'm going to bump this thread to see if anyone with a Stumps has ever cleaned up there charcoal shoot as well.

Smoking Piney
06-22-2018, 10:04 AM
Assassin 24 owner here......I've never cleaned the coal chute - no need so far.

I can't view the pics from my work machine, but I'll take a look when I get home.

Smoking Piney
06-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Top pic: That's just blistered paint. It's going to happen. Mine has that, too, but not as bad. I would leave it as is.

2nd pic: This cooker has seen LOTS of cooks. The buildup on top of the coal chute will just re-occur if you clean it off. I suggest leaving it as is. One thing to watch for here is moisture - it collects right around the neck of the coal chute and bottom of the door during a cook. I make sure it's wiped and air dried before I put the smoker away to avoid corrosion. I use a doubled sheet of HDAF to put between the chute door and chute to keep any moisture from trickling into the gasket and staining it.

3rd pic: If it still seals it's good to go, but it's noted on this thread that C&C sells replacement gaskets.

4th pic: Ouch! Your idea to grind, paint, and get a pro job done is sound.

5th pic: The fire box door latches see more heat than any of the other latches and they will corrode. Mine have a few spots on them.

6th pic: these are your probe ports. As for the IQ110, it attaches with the hose to the ball valve adaptor:

https://i.imgur.com/yqdFwAYh.jpg

One more bit of advice: Cover your grease trap with HDAF (make sure you open a hole for the drain). It makes cleaning it as easy as replacing the foil. You also want to make sure that the drain tube is clear. It can get gunked up, and if the grease overflows the trap, you're risking a nasty grease fire. I check / clean mine after after every long cook. It only takes a couple of minutes.

Last pic: Yes Sir! Looks delicious! :thumb:

Your Assassin has definitely seen some use. It's been treated more roughly than I would ever treat mine, but even from the looks, I bet it still works as advertised. All it needs is a little TLC.

SpratBoy
06-22-2018, 02:11 PM
I have an assassin 28 as well;
I also did not get a manual - I got all my instruction from Jeff C. when I picked the unit up from his shop - I think he has a single "cheat sheet", but it was geared more towards how to season the unit -

I have had mine about three years, and it still works great, but I am a big fan of using foil on any part that may get a great deal of soot/ash/grease - I do indeed use foil to line the chute top when cooking, but I also line the ash pan, the water pan, and the large grease/heat deflector that sits in the bottom - after cooking, it makes clean up a breeze

I do use a degreaser on the chute lid (Simple Green), as well as on the other parts, but I try and water it down enough so the parts do not require to be re-seasoned after cleaning. I visually inspect the chute for buildup after each use, and have not had a problem there.

I have not had to replace the gasket, but Jeff does say that when not in use, leave the latches undone, so that the gaskets are not permanently compressed - he says it will last longer. He also suggests to take a brush and degreaser to the gasket each year to remove soot/grease buildup.

Other than that, I always vacuum it out completely with a shop vac after it cools from cooking (usually the day after using it), so any leftover ash does not sit in the smoker...

Enjoy!!

Smoking Piney
06-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Excellent advice, SpratBoy! :thumb:

JKCDN
06-25-2018, 05:29 PM
Some great advice here, I spoke with Jeff at length (very patient guy he is) and he was incredibly helpful. I have some gaskets and latches coming in the mail. Will update with some photos when it's finished.

thanks to eveyone !

Smoking Piney
06-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Some great advice here, I spoke with Jeff at length (very patient guy he is) and he was incredibly helpful. I have some gaskets and latches coming in the mail. Will update with some photos when it's finished.

thanks to eveyone !

Awesome!

Keep us posted.

eap0510
06-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Yes, please take lots of pictures and make notes as you go through the process.

eap0510
07-09-2018, 12:51 PM
Any update on changing the gaskets and latches?

JKCDN
07-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Oh boy, I have not had a chance to even open the boxes yet. Who knew that three pre-school kids would take up so much time!

I will post back when I'm done.

JKCDN
09-26-2018, 07:19 PM
Just posted a full set of photos and the steps I went through to q-talk!