PDA

View Full Version : New outdoor living area

farmer-fred
06-17-2018, 11:00 AM
First let me say Happy Fathers Day to all of the fathers out there. Yesterday the contractor started the building of our house addition and covered patio.
The House addition is 10X28 ft and will be an addition to our kitchen after we remove part of a wall. It will also have a small 2nd 1/2 bath, a closet for outdoor shoes and clothing and a 8X10 storage room where I can store outdoor items during the winter. The patio will be 16X28 under roof. Should be plenty of room for my smoking and grilling needs and also plenty of space to relax and enjoy the back yard. Here are a couple of pictures of the construction.

Ducksmoke
06-17-2018, 11:35 AM
Gonna be nice ��

GrassRun
06-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Very nice addition! Keep the progress pics coming.

pjtexas1
06-17-2018, 11:48 AM
That is gonna be all kinds of awesome. What are the plans to vent smoke?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cfrazier77
06-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Nice little slice of heaven you have there. I hope you really enjoy it.

tom b
06-17-2018, 11:57 AM
nice spot for a beer...

pharp
06-17-2018, 11:58 AM
jealous

dcimike125
06-17-2018, 12:01 PM
That is gonna be all kinds of awesome. What are the plans to vent smoke?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What PJ said. I would consider some type of roof fan or a very large range hood to push the smoke up. While everything is open now is the time to plan. Maybe some can lights over the equipment for smoking after dark

cats49er
06-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Looking good,that's a lot of work in this heat.:thumb:

cholloway
06-17-2018, 01:11 PM
They got that much done in one day???
You'll be using it next weekend!
Looks good.

BillN
06-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Very nice.

farmer-fred
06-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. The wife has been wanting to ad on to our kitchen for a few years so I decided to go for broke and do the patio at the same time. We like to spend time enjoying our back yard in the evenings so the patio will be a great place to relax. As far as removing the smoke I have not decided what to do yet. I am currently doing all of my grilling on a porch on the side of the house and the smoke has not been an issue. Since the patio is open on three sides and most of the time there is a breeze from the west it may not be a problem. I have been toying with the idea of a kick out on the east side to set the grills on when cooking. I first have to make up my mind what material I will use for the patio floor. Deck Boards, Cement Pavers or Blocks, or Imprinted Concrete. If I go with wooden deck boards I think I will use some metal supports I seen at the local Menards Lumber yard that you can use to install pavers on a deck. I would use the pavers under the cooking area to protect the wooden deck. We started this project about six weeks ago by removing an old enclosed porch that was on the back of the house. The contractor got the footer poured and the block laid then it started raining. The crew finally got some time to work on it Saturday. They started at 7:00 am and when they left at 2:00 pm they had the floor joists and sub floor installed, the walls built and the truss rafters installed and 3/4 of the roof sheeting down. The roof shingles are supposed to be delivered sometime this week and they will come back to finish up getting it dried in. Then I can build the inside walls, run the wiring and get it insulated. We then can remove the old outside wall and get the support beam installed. I plan on having a contractor install the sheetrock and mud the walls. This winter I will mill out new red oak trim to match the rest of the house. If anyone wants to post some pictures of their outdoor cooking living areas for ideas I would appreciate it.

Stingerhook
06-17-2018, 06:43 PM
This ought to keep you busy
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108239

farmer-fred
06-17-2018, 07:38 PM
This ought to keep you busy
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108239

Thanks, I have been through that thread, many good ideas there. The wife thinks we should just do the deck this year and use it and then decide how to decorate and modify it with a cooking area and setting up seating and a prep area with a counter top etc. I guess I will wait until the construction is finished and go from there.

farmer-fred
08-19-2019, 10:41 AM
Finally getting a chance to get the deck built for our outdoor cooking/living area. I spent last winter finishing up the inside of the kitchen addition. I milled all new red oak trim to match the rest of the house and got it all wired and plumbed. I still need to build an island for the kitchen. Here are a couple of pictures to show some progress up to this point.

The wife enjoying the new view. I started installing the Azex Composit decking today.

making use of the area before starting on the deck build.
174278 174275

I will post more pictures as I proceed. Really looking forward to getting this finished up so we can start using it.
Thanks.

Viking
08-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Its a whole another level when you don't have to fight mother nature as much. My whole world changed for the better when I built my outdoor kitchen.

Big George's BBQ
08-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Looking good

TuscaloosaQ
08-19-2019, 06:18 PM
Gonna be a nice place!!!!!!..... many memories will be made there!!!!!!!!!

frankenfab
08-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Reminds me of my Grandmas' place. The happiest place in the world, ever!

farmer-fred
08-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Thanks all for the positive responses.
I was doing some research on grill mats to use under my smoker and grills and most of them are not suitable for use on composite or pvc deck boards like I am using. I even called the mfg'r for a recommendation and they were no help at all. I then started checking around for something that is stain proof and also flame resistant and found some Porcelain Pavers at Menards. They are 24X24 inches square and just under 3/4 thick. I bought enough to do a 4 ft X 12 Ft area and redid the joists to support them. I set them on 12 in centers and added blocking support under all seams. Just finished up installing them and they look great. Should make for a nice cooking area. Tomorrow I hope to finally start laying down the deck boards.
Some progress pictures.
The beefed up joist's
Frame work all finished
Pavers installed. The cat just had to get in the picture!!!!!

Lawnguy
08-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Sweet!

tom b
08-21-2019, 08:08 PM
looking good! Is that tile setting directly on the framing? If so I have never seen that before in my 30+ yrs of construction

lastmajordude
08-22-2019, 05:17 AM
I see great times with family..friends....by yourself!!.....great job. Just need so COOKERS out there...! ENJOY!!

Av8er
08-22-2019, 05:24 AM
You are going to need support under the pavers or they are going to break as they are not made to take unsupported loads. Hopefully this was just staged for the pictures. Project looks great though.

Stingerhook
08-22-2019, 05:54 AM
Looking good sir!

farmer-fred
08-22-2019, 09:12 AM
You are going to need support under the pavers or they are going to break as they are not made to take unsupported loads. Hopefully this was just staged for the pictures. Project looks great though.

The pavers are 24x24 inches,there is a cross support under the center of each of the pavers. I did some research on using them as a floating floor and the Mfg shows a video of installing them on risers with no center support. They are rated at 1,000 kg (2,500 lb) load rating so I do not thing their will be any issue with them failing in use.

Thanks for the feedback. I am really looking forward to putting the area to use.
Starting work on installing the Azek deck boards today. I next need to get the vinyl railings ordered. Here goes more $$$$$$$$

cowgirl
08-22-2019, 01:10 PM
It's looking great!! Nice work!

gtsum
08-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Your project is coming along nicely. I bet you are anxious to get it done and get to enjoying it

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

farmer-fred
08-23-2019, 07:11 AM
It's looking great!! Nice work!

Thanks, I am finding out that my age this is not as easy as it used to be.

Your project is coming along nicely. I bet you are anxious to get it done and get to enjoying it
Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is something we have wanted to do for years. When we decided to do the kitchen add on last year I decided to do it all at once since I had a contractor coming to do the foundation and frame work. We tell the kids we are spending their inheritance for them. Somehow they do not find this funny.
Hope to do the first cook on it this Sunday. I have a couple of racks of BB Ribs to smoke.

BBQ Bacon
08-23-2019, 07:48 AM
Very nice. Should hold up well.

farmer-fred
08-25-2019, 08:53 PM
Finished up installing the deck boards today and got a chance to cook on it. I am going to really like using it for my cooks and the wife and I will have a place to relax and enjoy out little world. A couple of pics. Railing is next when it comes in.

Stingerhook
08-26-2019, 01:42 AM
Looks great Tom.

Titch
08-26-2019, 03:49 AM
Looks brilliant, I now understand the Tiles, Are they sealed?

Mikhail
08-26-2019, 06:26 AM
Beautiful, and right up the road!!

Nice to have a covered place to cook. Never needed it until this morning, but it sure is nice.

Kybigmac
08-26-2019, 08:01 AM
Looks really nice,you should get yrs of enjoyment from cooking on the deck! I have a deck on the back of my house,but I’m getting the notion of putting a roof over it. Your pics are inspiration for me to get off my butt and do it.

BBQ Bacon
08-26-2019, 08:20 AM
Looks awesome. Quite the corn field beside you.

TC Smoke & Que
08-26-2019, 08:58 AM
That is one great looking outdoor cooking area! I hope you have years of enjoyment using it and putting all those "finishing touches" on it to make it perfect.

farmer-fred
08-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Looks great Tom.

Thanks. It is coming along.

Looks brilliant, I now understand the Tiles, Are they sealed?
The tiles are not sealed. Since they are glazed Porcelain they should not stain.

Beautiful, and right up the road!!
Nice to have a covered place to cook. Never needed it until this morning, but it sure is nice.

Yes it is. I have been doing my outdoor cooking on a covered porch for years but this gives me much more room.

Looks really nice,you should get yrs of enjoyment from cooking on the deck! I have a deck on the back of my house,but I’m getting the notion of putting a roof over it. Your pics are inspiration for me to get off my butt and do it.

Go for it. You will not regret it.

Looks awesome. Quite the corn field beside you.

The corn was planted about one month later than normal, but the rains have been coming in a as needed and if we do not have an early frost it should do well.

Thanks all for the compliments.