PDA

View Full Version : Long brisket hold: foil, bp, other?

sthamm
06-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Lately, I've been using bp to wrap my briskets mid cook then transferring them when done and after venting into a holding oven (150 deg) or cooler until ready to serve. On extended holds, I've noticed a good bit of condensation accumulate in the cooler. This leaves me wondering if this moisture is lost from the meat. Perhaps, it might be better if I remove the brisket from bp, wrap in a water tight layer then place in the cooler to hold?

SmittyJonz
06-10-2018, 10:25 AM
I've only held for a Few Hours in Butcher Paper - thinking Foil will turn Bark mushy.?

smoke ninja
06-10-2018, 10:26 AM
I normally just leave paper wrapped and hold. I have wrapped foil around the whole deal (brisket and paper) and then wrapped that with a towel and into a cooler for transport.

Figured the moisture adds the needed humidity like a cpap or alto sham

Smoking Piney
06-10-2018, 12:15 PM
I foil, wrap in a towel, and throw it in the Cambro (or a cooler). I haven't had problems with the bark getting mushy.

EyeBurnEverything
06-10-2018, 02:42 PM
BP draws moisture out. A local mom & pop deli i go to still uses BP to wrap their lunch meat. If i dont transfer to a ziplock bag, the meat and cheese will get hard as a rock in a day or two.

smoke ninja
06-10-2018, 04:02 PM
BP draws moisture out. A local mom & pop deli i go to still uses BP to wrap their lunch meat. If i dont transfer to a ziplock bag, the meat and cheese will get hard as a rock in a day or two.

Not quite with wrapping a brisket. After a few hours its saturated and keeps the exterior moist.

Also it's not on there for a few days......or in the fridge. Of course I have seen plastic wrap used to hold so you are not entirely off base

LordRiffenstein
06-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Always use BP, never a problem with a mushy bark nor dry brisket.

sthamm
06-11-2018, 08:14 AM

I worried this might occur, but came to the conclusion that if you don’t wrap excessively with bp, the small amount covering the brisket will be saturated with rendered fat as Smoke Ninja mentioned. I try and wrap with a single layer of bp and cut off the excess.

EyeBurnEverything
06-11-2018, 12:07 PM
I worried this might occur, but came to the conclusion that if you don’t wrap excessively with bp, the small amount covering the brisket will be saturated with rendered fat as Smoke Ninja mentioned. I try and wrap with a single layer of bp and cut off the excess.

I was merely stating a fact that BP will draw out moisture. Of course, if your Brisket is still moist, a few hours isn't going to affect it much, if at all. But i could see a negative affect if a brisket is on the dry side, and someone wrapped it in BP overnight in the fridge, it would most likely be really dried out.

m-fine
06-11-2018, 08:59 PM
The moisture already came out of your meat fibers due to heat and contraction. Whether it is trapped in a piece of foil or condensed on a cooler lid, it is still not in the meat. I don’t think there is a big difference with what you wrap with at the hold, but I am usually packing a cooler pretty tight so the paper isn’t breathing much more than foil since there is little air.

ncmoose
06-11-2018, 09:07 PM
I keep it in butcher paper. My best have been long holds in bp

Rockinar
06-11-2018, 10:41 PM

Butcher paper does not draw moisture out. That's the fridge drying your food out.

pjtexas1
06-11-2018, 10:44 PM
I've done 14 hours before in foil after removing from BP. Bark isn't as hard as normal but not mushy either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EyeBurnEverything
06-11-2018, 11:42 PM
Butcher paper does not draw moisture out. That's the fridge drying your food out.

So my fridge only draws moisture out of meats/cheese in BP, but not in plastic bags? I am confused by this logic. I only bring this up because believe it or not, some old school Deli's still use BP to wrap their meats and cheese. And if you keep them in that BP, they will end up hard as a rock in a day or two.

m-fine
06-12-2018, 04:39 AM
So my fridge only draws moisture out of meats/cheese in BP, but not in plastic bags? I am confused by this logic. I only bring this up because believe it or not, some old school Deli's still use BP to wrap their meats and cheese. And if you keep them in that BP, they will end up hard as a rock in a day or two.

Yes. The fridge is a low humidity environment. Plastic is non permeable so moisture can’t get from the meat and cheese into the air. But her paper breathes which will allow the fridge to dry it out.

In a cooler or humidity controlled holding oven, the air will be saturated with humidity and won’t dry anything out. In a regular home oven, some humidity will be lost, so foil would be better for very long hold times.

Springram
06-12-2018, 07:27 AM

Is this a deli forum or a bbq forum? I thought the topic was about holding brisket, not cheese/deli meat in a refrigerator. I do not hold brisket in a refrigerator....

Actually you are absolutely correct about the need to protect cheese, etc in a fridge or it will turn into a rock. As to brisket, I have held such in BP for close to six hours in my oven at 150* and it comes out perfectly. Foil would work very well too. Use what you have and enjoy. BBQ is supposed to be fun...not a scientific experiment.