PDA

View Full Version : will Burn in new Bandera Tomorrow

JMidJr
06-08-2018, 03:10 PM
First, thanks for all the great information here! Research here and elsewhere led me to be confident in my Bandera purchase.

Online searches showed all retailers w/in a 2 hr drive had none in stock. But while in Lowe's on other business (only 1 hour away) there was one on the floor - but none in the box. I bought it to replace the 20+ yr old barrel smoker that had finally rusted to pieces, leaving me smokeless for a few months. It provided many lbs of goodness but was a bear to maintain temp.

Anyway, I loosened the firebox and added the red rtv silicone, and added wood-stove gasket to firebox and cooking chamber doors. And I built a 12"Lx12"Wx6"H expanded metal charcoal/chunk box. Will oil well and burn in tomorrow.

Is there another critical modification I've missed? As it is I know this, my last smoker, is a step up from those I've enjoyed the last 40 years or so. But if you great folks have suggestions...

aerotech11
06-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Check out the “Bandera 101” document on this site. It’s the Bible around here. Everything you’ll ever need or want to know.

Stlsportster
06-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Yes. You missed this step. Fill it with meat and fire to fill the thing with grease and smoke!

Make it dirty!

JMidJr
06-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Thank you, aerotech11! That was one of the first things I read here and it was really helpful! Think I've done the things there except for fire bricks. I'm hoping broken marble slab pieces I've got on hand can fit jigsaw-puzzle like in smoke chamber (with a little grinder attention) to serve as additional heat sink.

JMidJr
06-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Stlsportster, after burn-in tomorrow I've got a beautiful pork butt getting ready for Sunday.