PDA

View Full Version : Spare rib cookoff - Oakridge BBQ vs EAT Barbecue rub

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Today I rolled the Shirley out of the garage and got a hot fire going so that I could give her a bath. Figured I'd take the opportunity to do a shorter cook and thawed out some St Louis trim spare ribs. EAT Barbecue Zero to Hero has been my go-to for pork, but I've been wanting to try a slab with Oakridge Dominator Rib Rub with a light dusting of Habanaro Death Dust for some sweet with a touch of heat. It's pretty hot here today, and the Shirley wants to run 275-300* so we're rolling with that. I'm using the last of the hickory I got from BBQ Freak and cycling in a few splits of cherry. Once I feel the ribs are about an hour from being done, I'm going to throw on my last package of Conecuh sausage.

The 4th and 5th pics are the Z2H slab and the 6th and 7th are the Oakridge slab. Both have some nice color after a sweat.

The Wookiee
06-08-2018, 01:59 PM
:shocked::shock::thumb:

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Sippin' splits today

Rockinar
06-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Just curious how easy that thing is to roll on level concrete?

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 03:21 PM
It's pretty easy on level ground, but snowmakes things complicated. I'm planning to have it converted to a trailer model soon.

Stlsportster
06-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Love me some Oakridge Dominator...interested to hear your results....

If you need me to help sample in order to get an independent vote....I'd suffer through it and help you out!

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Decided to whip up a batch of ABT's, I haven't done em on a stick burner yet. It's gonna be pork overload in this house tonight!

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Sausages on....looks like the HDD is doing its thing, the same orange/yellow oil looking stuff I get on my wings.

Norm
06-08-2018, 05:38 PM
So here I am flying to Denver for work this weekend and you tease me with this!

There outta be a law against this, cruel and unusual punishment... oh yeah and the food looks awesome!

Clay-b-que
06-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Very interested to hear the results. Dom is my go to for ribs but I wrap. Looks great by the way!

TravelingJ
06-08-2018, 06:28 PM
I mean, I just had lunch at SLAPS, but I can come over and help the family out, so they don't go into a pork coma.

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Well my f'n dog apparently wanted ribs too and she started eating the HDD dusted ones :evil: I still salvaged a few bones that appeared untouched but I didnt serve them to guests...luckily I had the sausage and ABT's otherwise it would've been slim pickins...seems like maybe she wasnt a fan of the touch of heat though.

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 07:07 PM
The first pic is the EAT Barbecue ribs, they were a hit but since I didn't serve the HDD dusted ones to guests, there was no table vote. However, everyone liked the ribs and thought there was a glaze or sauce, but it was just a nicely set bark.

The rest of the pics are the HDD ribs....I salvaged 4 or 5 that didn't have direct dog gnawing evidence and ate those myself...YOLO. They were really tasty, I think I could have even added a tad more of the HDD on top of the Dominator and it still would've been well balanced. This will require further research.

*edit* wife preferred the kick of heat on the Oakridge ribs.

Anyhow, I tasted both slabs and liked both, but I am definitely going to try just a tad more heat with the HDD next time. :thumb:

Kanco Connection
06-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Looks gorgeous. lucky dog

Clay-b-que
06-08-2018, 07:40 PM
I hope you like that dog. Sounds like he got what was coming to him with getting the HDD :)

Thanks for the idea of using HDD with Dom. I am going to try this next time! Looks killer!

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 07:42 PM
It was kcmike's idea, I just took heed :thumb:

ssv3
06-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Great looking bones. I've yet to try Eat BBQ.

Stlsportster
06-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Reminds me of Christmas Story with the dogs getting the turkey and they end up out for Chinese food.

Too bad on the misfortune but great story!

KevinJ
06-08-2018, 09:02 PM
I've yet to try Eat BBQ.It's solid and worth a try. I like it better than the Dominator because I don't like cinnamon in my Q, just not my cup of tea and I love other Oak Ridge Rubs.

sudsandswine
06-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Great looking bones. I've yet to try Eat BBQ.

I'm a big fan of both Zero to Hero and Most Powerful Stuff. I have a couple 5lb bags of each, PM me your address and I'll send you a sample. :thumb:

kcmike
06-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Sounds like to me, your dog has pretty good taste... :wink: :wink::icon_shy :icon_shy

dshaffes
06-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Big fan of Eat BBQ products too!

LYU370
06-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Good lookin' ribs. Dominator is the only Oakridge rub I don't care for. I think it's the cinnamon... Try some Santa Maria & HDD on ribs... :thumb:

Smoking Piney
06-10-2018, 07:40 AM
Great looking bones, Suds. :thumb:

Smoking Piney
06-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Good lookin' ribs. Dominator is the only Oakridge rub I don't care for. I think it's the cinnamon... Try some Santa Maria & HDD on ribs... :thumb:

Agree. Too much of a cinnamon hit for me.

electron_si
06-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Where are you buying conecuh sausage from. Iím doing a cook on Friday and want to pick some up.

sudsandswine
06-10-2018, 09:32 AM
There are several Hen House stores in Johnson County that are on Conecuh's website that supposedly carry it, but i got these from a Hen House in NKC last summer which apparently has since closed. You might give em a ring before you make the drive, but i plan to stop at one this week and see what they have.

kcmike
06-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Agree. Too much of a cinnamon hit for me.

No worries, guys. Luckily, I have three OTHER rubs that are also fantastic on ribs, and none of them contain any cinnamon. :thumb: :thumb:

Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken
Competition Beef & Pork
Smokey Chile Lime AP Rub

:becky::becky::becky:

LYU370
06-10-2018, 10:43 AM
No worries, guys. Luckily, I have three OTHER rubs that are also fantastic on ribs, and none of them contain any cinnamon. :thumb: :thumb:

Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken
Competition Beef & Pork
Smokey Chile Lime AP Rub

:becky::becky::becky:

Yep! Have used the top two, good stuff. :thumb: Still need to try out the new one.

Smoking Piney
06-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Yep! Have used the top two, good stuff. :thumb: Still need to try out the new one.

Same here.......awesome rubs.

electron_si
06-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Oak ridge ribs are the bomb

electron_si
06-10-2018, 09:23 PM
There are several Hen House stores in Johnson County that are on Conecuh's website that supposedly carry it, but i got these from a Hen House in NKC last summer which apparently has since closed. You might give em a ring before you make the drive, but i plan to stop at one this week and see what they have.

Actually now that you say that I might have seen some there a few weeks ago but it didnít process mentally for me