PDA

View Full Version : My First Drum is Done

MostLarge
04-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Man, that was fun to build. I even had to replace my Dewalt grinder with a new Milwaukee. Much more power. Arh..Arh..Arh.
I don't remember brushing my paint hose against the drum but I must have. Looks like I tried to paint a question mark. I'll be fixing that after my first cook. I need to let the gaskets and paint cure over night.
I have 3 ball valves and 5" long 1/2" black nipple pipes for intake. Used a step drill bit, drilled to 7/8 and the pipe threaded right onto the drum. Used high temp silicone to seal everything. I also have a rubber stopper that I've rigged to use w/my temp probes. I will post pics. when I drill that hole and put it into action. I just used a razor to make a slice down each side and treaded the wires into the stopper. Should seal up airtight.
Grinded the lid edge down until the lid fit airtight.
I can't wait to try out. Going to do a Chuckie, some ABT's and Fatties. Time for a party.
Here are the Pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/MostLarge/NewUDS

Time to relax and have an Amber Bock!!
Cheers

Dovid
04-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Great work! Tell us please which brands of gear you used for the step bit and silicone... Thanks much!

Dovid
04-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh yes, and was there a lot of work to get the Weber lid to fit? I am contemplating getting a lid but won't if it entails a lot of rework...Thanks!

thillin
04-13-2007, 07:54 PM
looks good. Let us know how the first cook goes. With pics of course.

Bill-Chicago
04-13-2007, 07:56 PM
I'll wait for first and second burns before questions, for those pictures are interesting to say the least.

My only question is the charcoal "barrel"

Are the hinges on top for grate support (I see you already have bolts in there for that) or for lifting out of the smoker?

Since it is a bottom grill grate, lifting makes no sense to me (not a drum user,,,,, yet) is there an ash catcher?

Intrigued to say the least, and good job sir.

Bill-Chicago
04-13-2007, 07:57 PM
LMAO

I hit reply, but while typing I was saying to self, make sure Dovid sees this thread, and here he had 2 replies before me

Dovid
04-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Keep the swoosh! Its your new logo!

Dovid
04-13-2007, 08:00 PM
roflpip Bill!

Bill-Chicago
04-13-2007, 08:03 PM
roflpip Bill!

Now that, was funny.

never saw that one before, but got it instantly.

Let me know when your ready to start building.

I'd love to lose a few fingers with you :shock:

MostLarge
04-13-2007, 08:07 PM
My only question is the charcoal "barrel"

Are the hinges on top for grate support (I see you already have bolts in there for that) or for lifting out of the smoker?

Since it is a bottom grill grate, lifting makes no sense to me (not a drum user,,,,, yet) is there an ash catcher?

Intrigued to say the least, and good job sir.

I use the weber grill grates w/side wings. So, I built handles that stop just below the bottom grate. I can build the fire outside and quickly lift into place right after I put a few hot coals on top.
I can also, in the middle of a cook, lift the wings, lift the firebox a couple of inches and shake off excess ash. No ash catcher. Wet Vac after a few cooks.

DeanC
04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Very nice, great job.

jpw23
04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Nice work man!!!!

swamprb
04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Nice work Chris! Fire that baby up!
Are you going to mount a thermometer on it?

Brian

MostLarge
04-13-2007, 08:21 PM

LOL!!!!
I probably will keep it. I doesn't need to look good as long as it cooks good.

Bill-Chicago
04-13-2007, 08:25 PM
I use the weber grill grates w/side wings. So, I built handles that stop just below the bottom grate. I can build the fire outside and quickly lift into place right after I put a few hot coals on top.
I can also, in the middle of a cook, lift the wings, lift the firebox a couple of inches and shake off excess ash. No ash catcher. Wet Vac after a few cooks.

This variation just moved to the top of my list.

I like that

Dovid, you listening.

This looks to solve your basket problem, I think.

MostLarge
04-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Nice work Chris! Fire that baby up!
Are you going to mount a thermometer on it?

Brian
I will probably mount one between the 2 cooking grates at some point. I have the Maverick dual probe remote unit, so I'm not in a hurry.

What is it about the Drums that excites the Brethren SO?

I've been watching the thread so much, that I forgot to open my Amber Bock!
LOL!

swamprb
04-13-2007, 08:42 PM
I've lost interest and find them boring....NOT!

I'd like to build a La Caja China or a Cajun Microwave next!

Brian

MostLarge
04-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Everything needed to build this can be bought at either Lowes, HD or Ace. Of course that means full price.
If I had new barrels, I could make 5-7 a day easy. A grinder and good drill with step drill bits is all you need. No need to weld. Measure twice and drill once.

MostLarge
04-13-2007, 08:48 PM
I've lost interest and find them boring....NOT!

I'd like to build a La Caja China or a Cajun Microwave next!

Brian

My neighbor used one this New Years (Cuban Tradition). Seemed easy enough to cook it crispy.

Harbormaster
04-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Chris,
Looks good. You have some good ideas there, like the fire basket. No holes cut into the side to compromise the integrity of the barrel. I think I would have some sort of an ash pan though. But that's just me.
Otherwise, very nicely done. You work for UPS that you could get that paint color?

MostLarge
04-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Might be the time of day and under cover when I took the picture but it is Rustoleum High Temp Black.

MostLarge
04-13-2007, 10:52 PM
More picts of the firebox>

http://picasaweb.google.com/MostLarge/UDSFirebox

Weber kettle charcoal grate. Expanded metal piece cut to fit laid on top.
Weldable 16 ga from Lowes attached w/Hogties. Drilled small holes for hogties & clipped together. Create handles w/2 foot long threaded rods (cut to 20" I think), large washers and bolts to create feet and handle rods. I had a extra piece of scrap metal I used for the handle (more bolts and washer). The whole setup is very flexible because of the threads. I will have results hopefully this weekend w/Pics.

Smokin Gator
04-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Looks great my man!!!! I hope you get to fire her up this weekend. I want to hear how the firebox does.

MostLarge
04-14-2007, 09:10 AM
I will season the drum tonight. I will play around with the valve settings and try to dial in my temps.

WannaBeBBQueen
04-14-2007, 09:11 AM
nice job! Good luck!

Smokin Gator
04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I will season the drum tonight. I will play around with the valve settings and try to dial in my temps.

I have found I need 2 of the intakes open and then fine tune with a 3rd to hold 225-230. Just a starting point for you...

Pork Chop
04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I want a Drum. Looks great.

Meat Burner
04-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Excellent! Keep us posted on the burn.

AlabamaGrillBillies
04-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Man that looks good! All these drum pics are really inspiring me to build my first couple of drums. I should be getting my drums next weekend. Keep the pics and design ideas comming. I think I'm going to do the three ball valve thing as I know where I can get my hands on some.

Markbb
04-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Drum you got there also the three ball valve idea is excellant, you should be able to dial that thing to the nats a$$, tell us your temps. and where your valve postions are.........good work:-D

MostLarge
04-14-2007, 04:21 PM
I have updated the photo album w/5 new pics from today. I bought a drum dolly from Northern Tools and added my rubber stopper probe holder. http://picasaweb.google.com/MostLarge/NewUDS
I am in the middle of the burn in. Oiled her down good and have all 3 valves open full. It is creeping above 270 now. Probe is hanging under top with rack with probe clip. I think it has leveled out. I was hoping for higher temps w/3. I have another ball valve setup just incase I couldn't get above 300 deg. I may add it or just Stokerize the drum. They have a 1 1/2" adapter the can be easily fitted for use on a drum.
I used a rubber stopper that I used a razor blade to slice groves for the cables to ride in. When I push in the plug, the pressure closes up the groves and is airtight. I should be able to add 2 more probes to it at least.
I just looked at the temp gauge and it is now at 275. I am going to let it go and see how high it goes.
277 now.
I'll check in shortly.
L8ter
278 now.

MostLarge
04-14-2007, 04:24 PM
284 Deg now.

Kevin
04-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Just a thought, but the do the ball valves restrict air flow when fully open? You may want to remove 2 of the valves and see what happens with the temp. How open is your exhaust?

MostLarge
04-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Valves are fully open. My temp is now 294. There has been a steady increase in temp. I think my 3 valve setup is working very well. Actually, I think because I'm bringing the air in directly under the fire, I'm getting a better burn (I used 5" pipe). All of the air coming into the drum is forced to go through the fire. I wouldn't normally need to run this high but at least I know I can get there.

MostLarge
04-14-2007, 04:47 PM
It's going to get another coat of paint next week. I also have a weber kettle cover coming tues. from amazon. The cover is 34" long. It should drape down pretty far on the drum. Should work out great.

frognot
04-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Real nice smoker!

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda artistic touch.

hrchdog
04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Lookin good Mostlarge, can't wait to get started on my drum.

Blutch
04-14-2007, 06:15 PM
I installed my cooking grate bolts today and measured very carefully. Unfortunately, neither grate is even and they both rock. Not a big deal but I'm bummed.

B

MostLarge
04-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I installed my cooking grate bolts today and measured very carefully. Unfortunately, neither grate is even and they both rock. Not a big deal but I'm bummed.

B
Grind slots on the bolts to help even things out.

MostLarge
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
The drum is steady at 236 deg at top grate and 249 bottom. 2 valves 3/4 open.
It is very windy today. Steady 20+. Doesn't seem to affect the drum much.

Heavy storms passing through in the early morning just as I need to start my cooker.

Dovid
04-14-2007, 11:04 PM
I wonder if the solid sides on the basket is an advantage? Also, what did it take to ensure a good fit on the weber lid?

Sure looks good!

thirdeye
04-14-2007, 11:39 PM

B

I bet they won't rock once some weight is on them :razz: . If only one is low, could you just put several nuts on it. That would increase the diameter just a hair.

Dovid
05-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi, Maybe three bolts per grate is enough? Three would balance without wobbling, like a tripod. Might not be perfectly level, but with only three bolts, who cares?

I think I will use three on mine unless someone really has a reason otherwise. Perhaps I will use a tiny bit larger bolt though.

jacob
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Very nice

Mark
05-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I like the barrel wheel unit. What that costya?

Norcoredneck
05-18-2007, 08:52 PM

B

Put a pipe over low bolt and bend slightly up. Will help with rocking.