PDA

View Full Version : An Honest Question

medic92
06-07-2018, 08:00 PM
Is it just me or does the size of a brisket's fat cap grow as the price of brisket drops? This is a picture of a brisket I trimmed earlier. It's the side of the flat with the brisket upside down.

Mikhail
06-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Yep.

KevinJ
06-07-2018, 08:25 PM
I don't know because Brisket here in the FL Pan Handle has gone up a dollar a pound and the last Prime Full Packer I purchased I know I cut out a good 4lbs of fat out of it at $5.99 a pound. I'm almost over it, I'm pretty happy smoking Chuck Roasts and Beef Short Ribs to get my smoked beef fix.

Kaptain Kadian
06-07-2018, 08:59 PM
What size was the brisket? I have found that my sweet spot for briskets is around 12 lbs. Anything more than that, just seems to have the same meat with a ton more fat. A 15 lbs or 16 lbs brisket around here has a huge fat cap and deckle on it that I trim out anyway.

Westx
06-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Trimmed two selects tonight and the amount of fat they had was ridiculous. Looked like yours.

smoke ninja
06-07-2018, 09:19 PM
What size was the brisket? I have found that my sweet spot for briskets is around 12 lbs. Anything more than that, just seems to have the same meat with a ton more fat. A 15 lbs or 16 lbs brisket around here has a huge fat cap and deckle on it that I trim out anyway.

This seems to be my experience especially with Costco

Around 12 is good and 20 lbs. In between is alot of fat

sudsandswine
06-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Agree...if I buy a 14lb prime from Costco, I trim about 4lbs off. If I buy a 16lb, I trim about 5 or 6lbs off. This time when I went almost every brisket in the cooler (30 or so) was between 9 and 11 lbs which was unusual, normally 13 to 16lbs is most common and it's rare to see one < 11lbs. I still picked up the lone 14lb one, but it had the flat and marbling that appealed the most to me. I imagine I'll wind up with 10lbs to throw on the smoker like always. It's been a long time since I've cooked an 18-20lb one, but I might be ready again.

Happy Hapgood
06-07-2018, 09:29 PM
I think you may have a point...'Er I mean I've been trimming more off too of late. That looks like some hard fat in the pic you posted.

pjtexas1
06-07-2018, 10:24 PM
Another reason I liked them 10 pounds or less. I trim heavily and never get 4 pounds of fat off. HEB has a few options where they will trim it for you for another dollar a pound.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

medic92
06-08-2018, 08:53 AM

It was a 13 pound brisket. I've actually been having the opposite experience with the brisket I've been getting. I get mine through Iowa Premium, and it seems like the bigger ones have less fat on them.

When it was over $3 a pound, it seemed like there was a lot less fat left on them, but then again maybe they were slaughtering cows a little earlier to get more beef to market while the prices were up. I don't know. I'm pretty sure there are conspiracies throughout the world all designed to screw me every chance they get. It's all about me.

Cook
06-08-2018, 09:25 AM
For you guys talking about Costco...I know several people who have stopped buying their Primes because of this exact issue. Crummy product for what is supposed to be Prime.