PDA

View Full Version : Helping slightly dry butt

JackMonroe
06-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Over the weekend I smoked 3 butts that had been in my freezer for about seven or eight months. I thought they came out just a little bit dry. The friends and family I had over devoured most all of it, so they didn't seem to care. I have portioned up and vacuum sealed the leftovers. I was thinking, that maybe to combat the dryness when I reheat them I might just mix in a little bit of melted bacon grease. I thought if I used just a little, it would moisten up the meat, and it couldn't hurt the flavor could it? It's all Pig! Thoughts?

Pig_Farmer
06-07-2018, 06:08 PM
I've never thought about using bacon grease. Let us know how that turns out. I usually add some apple juice to my butts when I reheat. If its a large portion (still in foil pan). If it's been portioned out and vacuum sealed, I will put in a hot pot of water with it sealed.

IamMadMan
06-07-2018, 06:21 PM
I also add apple juice when reheating pulled pork.

SmittyJonz
06-07-2018, 06:21 PM
Moisturizing Cream.?

Demosthenes9
06-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Was the butt somewhat hard to pull (slightly undercooked)? If so, drop the vac packs in a pot of hot water for a while and let them cook a bit more.

If the butts fell apart and were just dry (slightly overcooked), you could always toss in a finishing sauce or BBQ sauce. Won't put moisture back in the actual meat, but will cover the dryness quite a bit.

JEStucker
06-07-2018, 07:39 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91-68LgeysL._SX355_.jpg

EyeBurnEverything
06-07-2018, 08:11 PM
I buy pork neck bones from a local butcher for less the $1/lb and freeze gallons of concentrated pork stock in chinese take out quart containers. Its so thick its like jello even at room temp. I add this to pulled pork as a secret weapon. Everyone raves about my pulled pork.

Joe Black
06-07-2018, 08:55 PM
I would add some finishing sauce after it’s thawed.

sniperfx
06-08-2018, 10:18 AM
pour melted butter over it..mix and chow down. sauce would be cool too..