PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Pork / Chicken Reheating Help

mstewart39
06-07-2018, 02:25 PM
In a couple of months I am going to be cooking pulled pork / pulled chicken for a little over 100 people for a party. It's about 5 hour drive from my house, so I won't have any of my smokers. The campground says the have "grills", and I'll be able to bring some portable propane grills / stoves.

What's the best way to reheat that much meat? When I'm doing this for 20 people I like to pull the pork, freeze it in food storage bags, and reheat in simmering water. I am afraid that if I just reheat the pork in pans I'll burn the bottom of the pan.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? (I slightly considered buying a smoker on CL and then trying to sell it again after the event, but I'm afraid the wife will completely shoot me.)

The Wookiee
06-07-2018, 02:45 PM
similar thread a few weeks back. lot's if ideas in here...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260376&highlight=reheat+chicken+pork

guero_gordo
06-07-2018, 02:53 PM
I've done it with pork in a covered pot on low heat. I put a cup or two of water in the bottom. By the time that boiled off the grease was melting and no problems.

sudsandswine
06-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Vacuum seal the meat, freeze if necessary, then reheat in hot water the day of.

Anthodavis
06-07-2018, 04:57 PM
Sous vida will cure all your concerns.

IamMadMan
06-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Vac-seal is the way to go. Add juices from the pork after removing the fat, or some apple juice before sealing.

I am also a fan of the water bath heating method, it gently warms the meat to a safe serving temperature without cooking the meat to any further degree. The best part is that you can also serve right from the vac-seal bags with a pair of tongs. Just stand the vac-seal bag in a pot to keep it from falling over.

You could also use the disposable / portable chafing sets. Use a full size deep pan with water directly above the chafing fuel, use 2" deep half pans with loose meat inside the larger pan that has water. The water will gently heat the pulled pork, just stir or mix several times before serving to evenly distribute the heated meat.