PDA

View Full Version : Cut of meat question

Yakfishingfool
04-13-2007, 07:20 PM
OK, while I was fondling the brisket flats at a sale price of 3.99 a pound, I turned and saw "Pork Shoulder Picnic with bone"....99cents a pound. Now I know what a butt is, I know what a butt with bone in is. What's a picnic, is it handled the same way? Lot's of fat on it. Is it lower on the shoulder than the butt? Is it worth the effor tor just continue with the butt's at 1.29 a pound? Scott

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
04-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Hope this site is helpful.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/hog_cuts_interactive_chart.htm

thirdeye
04-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Exactly. It's the other end of the shoulder, closer to the ground. They cook up the same way but have a slightly different color and texture especially near the bone. You can skin them or score them.

This is a picnic with the excess fat and skin trimmed off

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/8d0da001.jpg

Here is a picnic with the skin on and scored.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/4bcb5d24.jpg

Yakfishingfool
04-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm gonna go get a picnic, I'm gonna go get a picnic, na na na na na naaaaa

Sawdustguy
04-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Picnic doesn't really taste or cook any different than a butt.

Azinine
04-13-2007, 09:29 PM
I suppose it's true that a picnic tastes the same as a butt, but ( he he) picnics yield less post-cook meat than a Boston Butt. There's a lot more fat and connective tissue in a picnic. That's why they cost less per pound. Honestly, I feel like I can taste a difference between the two. I prefer the BB's.

Picnic doesn't really taste or cook any different than a butt.

CajunSmoker
04-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I suppose it's true that a picnic tastes the same as a butt, but ( he he) picnics yield less post-cook meat than a Boston Butt. There's a lot more fat and connective tissue in a picnic. That's why they cost less per pound. Honestly, I feel like I can taste a difference between the two. I prefer the BB's.

I agree with you. I don't get anywhere near the amount of meat off a picnic as I do a butt and it tastes different to me also. Not bad, just different.

nmayeux
04-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Around here, they say that perfect pulled pork comes from the whole shoulder, which is the picnic and the butt. The butt (shoulder blade) is more lean, and the picnic (upper arm) is more fatty, but when you mix the two it should be perfect... Now in practice, I just prefer the butt for the reasons Az and Rodger stated above. However, for a buck a pound, there is no reason not to give it a try. Damn good meat anyway you look at it.

WannaBeBBQueen
04-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Yummy, I have used both, they turn out the same! Yummy, darn it! now I'm gonna have to go get me some butt to smoke!!

BigBarry
04-14-2007, 10:44 AM
As per the good Doctor (BBQ), the butt has more small muscles which means more tender pulled meat. Less long muscles and less bad stuff (tissues, etc)

vr6Cop
04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
The picnics I've cooked have all had a slightly more "piggish" taste. Kind-of like how some fish tastes more "fishy" than other fish. :tongue:

I also use a different rub on my picnics than on my butts. I use more black pepper than with other rubs, and it comes out with a nice peppery crust. :cool:

bbqjoe
04-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I have opinions on this.

CTSmokehouse
04-15-2007, 12:52 PM
OK, while I was fondling the brisket flats at a sale price of 3.99 a pound, I turned and saw "Pork Shoulder Picnic with bone"....99cents a pound. Now I know what a butt is, I know what a butt with bone in is. What's a picnic, is it handled the same way? Lot's of fat on it. Is it lower on the shoulder than the butt? Is it worth the effor tor just continue with the butt's at 1.29 a pound? Scott

Forget the picnic...splurge!!! Smoke Butt!!! It's worth the extra $.30 per pound!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Yakfishingfool
04-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I do butts all the time. wanted to broaden the experience here :) Joe, were waiting for your opinion...uh...at least I am :)

Oldbob
04-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I have opinions on this.

Would You care to share them Kind Sir??:confused:

bbqjoe
04-15-2007, 04:36 PM
I have found the picnics don't have near the marbling that the butts do, and therefore are not quite as flavorful.

Yakfishingfool
04-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the information, but...uh....I was expecting something more spectacular, something maybe a bit prophetic....(sigh)...still going to try one :)

Kevin
04-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the information, but...uh....I was expecting something more spectacular, something maybe a bit prophetic....(sigh)...still going to try one :)

OK, I'm very relaxed on a Sunday afternoon out on the patio. I will wax prophetic. The pork picnic cut has more muscle that supports the weight of the hog and provides locomotion. You will notice as you cut into the meat of a picnic cut that it has a redder coloration to it in comparison with a butt, the Boston butt cut has more of a pink and white coloration. The deeper red color in the picnic cut indicates a harder working muscle. The darker pigmentation of the meat indicates, to me, more intense flavor. Much like comparing chicken breast (white) to a chicken thigh, the harder working muscle (dark). Compare a beef rib roast to a beef brisket. The color in a brisket is much darker. In addition a pork picnic cut has many different grains of muscle to it. It's not as predictable to cook as a butt, for sure. A picnic is also complex in the many muscle groups involved. The variety of flavors are a treat to me. Just my opinion as always.

Yakfishingfool
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
You da man....That's waxing prophetic....But what is the porch you speak of??? You can actually sit outside? I mean without an umbrella, woolen long johns and a hot todi???

Kevin
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
You da man....That's waxing prophetic....But what is the porch you speak of??? You can actually sit outside? I mean without an umbrella, woolen long johns and a hot todi???

Hell, it's 61*and sunny here. I'm looking for sun screen.