PDA

View Full Version : Hunsaker or Gateway?

qnbiker
06-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Let me start by saying I don't need a new smoker; I can cook just about anything with what I've got. I used to be an equipment nut until I realized I had 14 smokers and grills. Totally reformed and now I'm down to 4 and have turned down several deals in the last few years. Then, my BIL offered me 2 55 gallon drums for free.

I decided to build a UDS, but when I went to pick them up, he said he had forgotten that I wanted them and had given them away. No harm, but now I'm in the equipment mood again. I'm thinking UDS, Hunsaker, or Gateway. Pros and cons of each?

el luchador
06-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Let me start by saying I don't need a new smoker; I can cook just about anything with what I've got. I used to be an equipment nut until I realized I had 14 smokers and grills. Totally reformed and now I'm down to 4 and have turned down several deals in the last few years. Then, my BIL offered me 2 55 gallon drums for free.

I decided to build a UDS, but when I went to pick them up, he said he had forgotten that I wanted them and had given them away. No harm, but now I'm in the equipment mood again. I'm thinking UDS, Hunsaker, or Gateway. Pros and cons of each?

I vote home built UDS because Im cheap

Stlsportster
06-07-2018, 12:28 PM
UDS is build your own and generally much less expensive if you’re a handy person who likes to build and modify.

Can’t go wrong with either the Gateway or the Hunsaker. Hunsaker has been getting a lot of love on this forum the past year and would probably be my choice if I were in the market.

However Hunsaker also offers a build your own kit...as does Big Poppa Smokers if you want the higher end quality and parts with a build your own flair.

Novass
06-07-2018, 12:30 PM
I’m thinking Gateway for me. I can go out to the outdoor chef in Lubbock but stop by Evie Maes and get bbq first.

Bob C Cue
06-07-2018, 12:37 PM
I vote home built UDS because Im cheap

But in your defense you are not easy!

el luchador
06-07-2018, 01:03 PM
But in your defense you are not easy!

lmao

PlattDaddyBBQ
06-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Hunsaker but I’m bias lol but as stlsportster said Mark has a DIY Kit that all you have to do is assemble/paint. Or you could always build a UDS and hen just get what parts you want that a Hunsaker offers! Check out their DIY/Parts site www.amazingsmokers.com

Ron_L
06-07-2018, 01:19 PM
It would be hard to go wrong with either Gateway or Hunsaker if you're not planning on building your own. I chose Hunsaker because to me the design is better. The bottom intake makes it less sensitive to the wind and the Vortex basket provides better heat distribution and a bit of convection. I have noticed that there are more than a few Gateway owners buying the Vortex basket for their drums.

midwest_kc
06-07-2018, 01:47 PM
You can turn out some damn good que on any of those options. Me, I have a big poppa kit that I made a drum with, and a Gateway, and the Gateway is just a better product. I have never used a Hunsaker, but I highly doubt that they are better. Maybe the same, but I cannot see them being better. I also prefer the appearance of the Gateway.

sudsandswine
06-07-2018, 02:05 PM
I never used a Gateway drum, but the features I really like on the Hunsaker drums are the floating hinge, adjustable grate system, and the foot adjustable intake. They cook pretty evenly across the grate as well.

Clay-b-que
06-07-2018, 02:09 PM
UDS so you can have pride in your own work.
Hunsaker because of vortex basket.
Gateway because of air control up and shake and bake bbq team winning all kinds of awards with them. I don’t know if other teams that are way up there that use a UDS or Hunsaker, but I could be wrong.

Also, it would be really nice if hunsaker or gateway came out with a dome lid for their drums. I might be more intrigued...

I am probably sticking with my UDS with domed lid and may add a vortex...or get a gateway with a vortex basket as suggested above!

dadsr4
06-07-2018, 02:30 PM
If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

lennitt
06-07-2018, 02:30 PM
I went back and forth between Hunsaker and Gateway and finally in March went with the Hunsaker mainly because of the floating hinge and vortex plate. Another factor for me was the large wheels- moving the drum is a breeze. While I haven't cooked on a Gateway and have to admit they look way better than the Hunsaker I have no regrets about my decision. Mark and Ryan Hunsaker make a helluva good drum!

KevinJ
06-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Went through this process 15 months ago, ended up purchasing a Hunsaker.

1) Vortex Fire Basket (I believe it makes any drum or bullet smoker like the WSM better)
2) High Temp Powder coating (I have a good 60 cooks on mine and still looks brand new)
3) Floating Lid Hinge (if I would have purchased a Gateway I would have ordered and installed an aftermarket lid hinge)
4) Dolly type wheels and castor (I've rolled it through dirt, grass, gravel and over curbs)
5) Bottom intake (I live close to the water so there is almost always wind to deal with and it doesn't effect temps)
6) Floating grate system
7) Exhaust therm
Lastly the heavy duty expanded metal grates, doesn't make it cook better but just goes to show Hunsaker cuts no corners to build a high quality smoker.

As said above Hunsaker also sells all of his parts either separately or in kits for those that want to build their own.

ssv3
06-07-2018, 04:51 PM
+1 on the reasons why I went Hunsaker. I'd do it all over again. And Mark is one of the best people you can talk to. BBQ or not.

Went through this process 15 months ago, ended up purchasing a Hunsaker.

1) Vortex Fire Basket (I believe it makes any drum or bullet smoker like the WSM better)
2) High Temp Powder coating (I have a good 60 cooks on mine and still looks brand new)
3) Floating Lid Hinge (if I would have purchased a Gateway I would have ordered and installed an aftermarket lid hinge)
4) Dolly type wheels and castor (I've rolled it through dirt, grass, gravel and over curbs)
5) Bottom intake (I live close to the water so there is almost always wind to deal with and it doesn't effect temps)
6) Floating grate system
7) Exhaust therm
Lastly the heavy duty expanded metal grates, doesn't make it cook better but just goes to show Hunsaker cuts no corners to build a high quality smoker.

As said above Hunsaker also sells all of his parts either separately or in kits for those that want to build their own.

Smokey-T
06-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Hunsaker for me. For reasons above.

JWBurns
06-07-2018, 05:39 PM
How about neither, and go with a PBC?

countryrocker212
06-07-2018, 06:15 PM
http://www.blazngrillworks.com/blazn1/

Not a lot of info on it but that one is close to the same price.

LTG
06-07-2018, 07:21 PM
The bottom intake makes it sell sensitive to the wind
What are you saying?

KevinJ
06-07-2018, 07:30 PM
The bottom intake makes it less sensitive to the windFIFY

What are you saying?Ron is dyslexic :mrgreen:

jermoQ
06-07-2018, 11:43 PM
My vote is that either one you go with, will produce great food. My choice would be the gateway, but it is not made mobile, so you need a cart. I dont like the bottom intake for the Hunsaker, because i dont like the idea of grease dripping through (you can use a pan)...(and it is just my slight perfectionist and controling nature that has me hung up on this :fear:). But i will say again, you wont be wrong no matter which one you pick :noidea:

sniperfx
06-08-2018, 09:14 AM
check out ironman cookers. I have two being built right now!!! Be in next week..

plus you can but drum dollies for them to make the mobile..

Ron_L
06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
FIFY

Ron is dyslexic :mrgreen:

No, just typing too fast and not proofreading :becky:

KevinJ
06-08-2018, 09:25 AM
No, just typing too fast and not proofreading :becky:I was just funnin with ya Ron, you should read some of my posts, I do that all the time, I'm sure some look at some of my posts thinking is he drunk. :crazy:

electron_si
06-08-2018, 09:42 AM
I too was ready to buy a gateway but then I found out about Hunsaker. The rack system from Hunsaker IMO is way above the gateway because of the adjustability. The vortex basket is also better because you don’t have to purchase the heat deflector like with the gateway. I do like the looks of the gateway but I will be picking up a Hunsaker next summer when I come home from deployment. I’m hoping to order it about a month before I get back so it’s in my garage waiting for me.

qnbiker
06-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the input; I think I'm up on the pros and cons or each. Leaning towards a UDS with a Vortex, but it will probably be an impulse buy after I sell something else, so I'll get whichever shiny thing catches my eye at the time.

Rockinar
06-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Gateway. No experience, only because Kosmos Q said thats what people at comps use. : )